Is Apple going to make a bluray disk supported MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jun 21, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

As an update?

Add retina and a bluray drive for the regular MacBook Pro
    It's more convinent for business people to have bluray DVD cd drive wth retina

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Apple has abandoned the optical drive. They sell a single Mac with a built in drive(the low end MBP). BluRay just isn't in their plans.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Unfortunately at this point it looks like Apple lied about Blu-ray support. I'd like to see it happen (or at least for Apple to produce first-party playback software) but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

4. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

They never said they would support it in the first place. Not on my memory, at least.

5. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

What, where they called it a 'bag of hurt'?

We'll never see a Blu-Ray (or any other new type of optical media) drive from Apple.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apple stated that it was "committed" to Blu-ray at NAB in 2005. It's not an explicit "Apple will support Blu-ray" but this "commitment" hasn't amounted to much in the nine years since then.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You have Bluray support in FCPX I believe.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its 2014, if they haven't added support for bluray at this point they're never going to add it.

9. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Wy would they do this, this late in the game? Optical discs, other than console gaming, are dying.

10. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Obnoxiously, no. They think people are going to buy their DRMed-up iTunes content if they can't use actual Blu Rays on their Macs.

A Mac Mini with Blu Ray would be awesome (particularly if they'd bring back the 10 foot interface). And I don't want a notebook without blu ray, but they actually think people will be silly enough to get low quality more expensive DRMed up content from them instead LOL

11. kelon111 macrumors 6502

I still use optical discs. Netflix and other similar services can't offer the same quality that a 50 GB Blu-ray disc provides.

12. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Optical disks are competitor to iTunes movie sales. No way Apple would go against their own money maker. They led you to believe removing their optical drivers were to thinner down machines, that's just half the story (the Mac Mini has enough space for one anyway), as they also did that to force you to purchase content from iTunes instead.

13. venom600 macrumors 6502a

You can easily add BluRay support yourself. The MacBluRay player isn't terrible anymore (though it doesn't work with every title) and Windows BluRay software is great. Pair that with any external drive under $100 and you are set. I installed an internal BD-RE drive into my 17" Macbook Pro and I love it.

14. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

There's an OS X blu ray player? That would be really cool...

15. venom600 macrumors 6502a

It's not perfect, but it works for most movies. Just don't expect menus to work all the time (they have a direct video function for when it doesn't), and not all discs work (though the only one that I couldn't watch was the Disney World of Wonder calibration disc). Also, because of the nature of BluRay, the first time you insert a disc it may need to connect to the internet to download a key to play it.

http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

16. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

Apple is against optical media- it takes up space, is a moving part, and goes against their iTunes business model. And more broadly, they believe that video content is moving towards the file based/online streaming direction anyway. OS X doesn't even support blu ray playback, you need to download a 3rd party app for it.

They also called blu ray a "bag of hurt".

I recently got an Asus 12x usb 3.0 blu ray burner the other day, pretty nice and quiet, works great on my MBP and FCP X

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

Bluray? "Business people"? How are those two connected?

Why would anyone put a bluray player in a laptop? Macbooks are mobile devices.

My mac mini is connected to a 46" samsung hd screen and a pioneer stereo system that also has a Blue Ray player for that one blueray disc my girlfriend owns :D

18. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Optical media is so last century.

Now that high speed internet is almost everywhere, people will just purchase movies online and download it instead.

19. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Are we seriously crying about blu-ray support when everyone streams now a days?

Here's a tip, buy a samsung blu-ray burner and then plug it into your USB port. :p

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

"Everyone" doesn't stream; I may when there are decent-quality streaming services available but for now Blu-ray is the best option for home theatre (although the studios seem to be doing their best to prevent that).

I already have a Blu-ray drive in my desktop but it'd be nice to have some decent playback software; as noted above, the Macgo player is a bit clunky.

21. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

umm

its waaaaayyyy cheaper to get a bluray player and a 35in led tv :)

22. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Oh wow, thanks! I'd never heard of that. $40 isn't bad!

So it doesn't work with all discs though? Stupid question, but is it legal LOL

Do you know if movies retain their position and stuff if you change inputs on your TV/monitor? The blu ray player I have in Windows doesn't, which is a pain.

Which Apple hadn't gotten rid of their "front row" 10 foot interface!

23. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

24. Macgosoftware macrumors newbie

Reply to Nermal

Hi, as you referred Macgo player, may I ask what happened when you use Macgo Blu-ray player? Could you please offer some more clues? We are here to help you solve out.