Is Apple hurting themselves by being so secret?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smtevo, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Smtevo macrumors 6502

It seems to piss a lot of people off that they keep things so secret all the time. All other companies show pics (or leaks) of their products well before the release. I would think that they would at least do a silent leak of the iPhone 5 to try and deter people from switching platforms or buying the new Droids or Blackberry's that are coming out at this time. Anyone else have the same thoughts?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple have come from nowhere to basically setting the agenda in the smartphone arena by being secretive. RIM have gone from leading the market to people seriously talking about them going out of business by pursuing the strategy you outline. I think Apple might be best doing what they are doing now!

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I agree, personally.

I was waiting for either the iphone 5 or the samsung galaxy SII. Since the iphone didn't leak anything official about new features, I just upgraded to a Droid Charge for the time being. Had samsung leaked a launch date in the US, or had Apple leaked anything concrete about a feature I would love, I would have held off.

I like the Charge, so now I'm just waiting to see if either phone can sway me with something. For example, if the iphone 5 doesn't have LTE, something else is going to have to woo me. If it is just an iphone 4s, prob won't switch--whereas I would have had I held off since I had an upgrade available.

The only plus I can think of for keeping the features secret is to hold off competitors from copying. But I don't think that's effective since they'll just copy you anyways, once released, and I think Apple buyers will still buy Apple even with copied features/products out there.

4. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

5. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Having the highest market value of any company says no.

6. Smtevo thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point, I also agree here too but think they could open up just a tad.

Maybe 70 billion could be 140 billion if they opened up a little.

7. fsu06 macrumors newbie

While what you say is true, by leading the pack in design/etc, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Apple wants to delay copy-cats (counterfeit and legit) as long as possible. Leaking info would be showing their hand so to speak.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

They are now listed as the number 1 profiting company. They beat Exxon out. They have more avalable cash the the US government. Yes it hurts them big time. :rolleyes:

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I highly doubt it. $70 billion+ in the bank (cash) not to mention their incredible market share is already slaughtering expectations from years ago.

10. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

Apple knows that when they put their products out, people will line up around buildings for them. They don't need to "leak" information about their stuff to keep people buying. They have a much to loyal following.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

They're hurting themselves all the way to the bank.

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

+1

13. illini71 macrumors member

Being secretive i dont think has anything to do with consumers, but everything to do with competitors.

14. Smtevo thread starter macrumors 6502

Good points, I know its for a business aspect but I can see people starting to get frustrated with waiting so they go and buy something else.

15. Vegastouch, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

BS...there were several leaked pics of the first iPhone before its release. Your already are using the OS that will come with it so there isnt going to be anything new there. Either way , pics or no pics they will still get lined up on the street (the weirdos) to get one on the first day and they have been using the OS for a few months already.

16. mobiletech macrumors member

yes because it hurts when the bank says "Steve, can we get a bailout from you?"

secrecy works people have been talking about the iphone 5 for a year now, for technology that is a very long time for one piece of tech, that is like hearing about a new building being constructed for 20 years and people are still enthusiastic at the press release.

If apple did the drip and drab info release, people would have stopped caring months ago and probably would not even pay attention to the release, since everyone knows what to expect.

Through secrecy Apple is able to control: the media, the people, and other companies. Three things that 90% of the corporate world would sell their soul and their kids organs for.

17. aztooh macrumors 6502a

So RIM is struggling because of product leaks before release? It has nothing to do with how people actually like the product? That makes sense.

The next iPhone will sell well, but they are losing customers for sure. How many threads like this have we seen...a dozen in the past month or so? And people who utilize these forums make up a small % of users and I'm sure are not the only folks who feel the same. I've been due an upgrade since mid Feb..tried a new phone out because I don't like the 4...took it back after 30 because of some issues. Figured I'd wait for the summer release of new hardware before I decided on a new phone. When nothing came at WWDC, I figured, 'well, contract is up in august, so I'll just wait and see'.

So now I have about a week and a half left..still nothing. I'm on a 3g, barely usable. Have to get something soon.

18. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I have an iPhone 3G as well, and i've been patiently waiting to upgrade since iOS 4 was released, its been more than a year, but i know that the iPhone 5 and iOS 5 will be worth it.

to OP, no Apple is not hurting themselves in anyway, because of the brand they have, everyone will go for an iPhone 5 when its released. You can thank Apple's business strategy for their gains.

19. kolax macrumors G3

Remind me, there was rumours of a phone, but I can't remember seeing what the phone looked like until Apple unveiled it.

20. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Why? Keeping everything secret gives them an advantage of keeping competitors in then dark and also keeps consumers creating rumors and speculation about what is next.

Coming from someone who has how many billions?

21. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

if people knew when the next model of iphone, macbook, etc was coming out in advance, then no one would buy the current model.

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It was a play on words. ;)

23. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

The results speak for themselves. Steve knows what he is doing. :cool:

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would rather the be secretive than be like samsung and say hey this is what were releasing in a few months time then you wait twice as long for something kinda like what you saw but a little different.