Is Apple mandating AppleCare with new iPhone 4 purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jesusrobles115, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Jesusrobles115 macrumors newbie

I had a quick comment about my recent iPhone 4 purchase through AT&T. I was told by the sales associate that it is now mandatory to purchase AppleCare for the iPhone when buying a new iPhone 4. I protested but to no avail. Has anyone else gone through this?? And is this practice even legal?

2. Chankster macrumors newbie

I bought mine from the ATT online site and did not have to get applecare

3. jcole31 macrumors regular

First I've heard of this. They can't really force an optional add on warranty on you. My guess is it was the doing of some shady sales associate.

4. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/19.892; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

That sales rep. who you dealt with lied to you. It is NOT maditory that you purchase an Apple care plan with your iPhone. I would go back to the store and ask to speak with the manager about this.

5. fuseone macrumors member

sounds like some shady stuff. Maybe some apple stores try and push it more then others to make more profit. I would have told them fine keep the phone.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. That sales associate was totally scamming you.

7. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

8. solius macrumors regular

Yeah the sales rep was just bluffing hoping you wouldn't call him/her out on it. If I tried to pull the same stunt on someone at work (I sell tvs) I would get fired in a heartbeat. Long story short they can't make you purchase the optional warranty.

9. forza1976 macrumors regular

they can't "make" you buy anything... LOL!!!!!!!!!

10. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

You should probably go get your money back and call AT&T.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You should ask to speak to his supervisor and maybe he’ll be fired.

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

13. FeelingGood macrumors member

FeelingGood

Most definitely a bad apple in the store. :D

Do everyone a favor and call the store manager and share your experience. Or better still, fill up the survey and feedback email that Apple sends to you every time you purchase something in the store.

They will not likely fire him, unless he's been warned already for his shady behavior, but they will most certainly take this opportunity to remind him, and everyone in the store, that Apple has very strict business ethics practices and that this type of behavior will not be tolerated.

That dude is very lucky he didn't try to pull that crap on me... very lucky indeed.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Do employees get commission for selling AppleCare or something? Don't see what he would get out of it.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't understand this. How does AT&T benefit from pushing AppleCare?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No doubt, they get commision on all sales.
    And the AT&T salesman was shady and trying to scam you.
    I'd go back there and talk to his manager and maybe inform the district manager also. They shouldnt get away with shady practices like that.
    There was some other AT&T stores on launch day that wouldnt let you get a new iphone unless you bought a case from them also.
    Thats unacceptable.

17. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Heck, teh manager is probably pushing them to sign people up, so definitely take it higher than that.

AS far as the cases, they were actually doing people a favor keeping them from teh grip of death. ;)

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah ok. Doing their pockets a favor, not the customer.

19. Centient macrumors 6502

I was told by a couple of employees at an AT&T store that they do not make commission on the Apple Care stuff. Whether I was lied to is another matter.

Based on your story it's hard to say if he was trying to scam you or if he just didn't know better. Regardless you don't need it, and you'd be best served by going back and telling the manager what you were told when you get your refund.

20. Jesusrobles115 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with the manager from the store and was told the following: "After all the issues with the antenna, we are selling the iphone 4 as part of a bundle with applecare IF the iphone is purchased in person at an ATT store. If it is bought on the internet it is sold without applecare. This is done as part of policy change by ATT in order to protect their costumers and address the antenna issues moving forward." Alas, no refund could be given. I also "heard" Radio Shack is forcing individuals into buying these "bundles" which could include a case or applecare. I also "heard" Best Buy is not selling iphones to "early upgrade" costumers. My concerns is: are these practices even legal?? what happened to the good old days when bulls*** walks and money talks?? Maybe for iphone 5 apple should just sell through the apple store instead of sending stock to these other electronic stores. I'm fairly certain they will stake make the some amount of profit. Anybody else here been part of a practice like this through any other store??

21. COSWORTH macrumors regular

You need to go higher up the food chain until you get someone that is not in on this. Also go to the store and ask that the manager put this into writing.

22. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I got my iPhone 4 from radioshack (finally) last week. They offered AppleCare to me, but after I said no, they moved on. No pressure, no nothing.

23. err404 macrumors 68020

Frankly it doesn't make any sense. The phone comes with a one year warranty. All Applecare gives you is a second year. If the is antenna is satisfactory for the first year, it's not going to change in the second.

24. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

I bought mine at an AT&T store and I didn't purchase Applecare.