Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Apple phasing out Prosumer systems/App's for iOS based iDevices?

• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
OpenGL 3.0+ - still not implemented, even in 10.6.7

"Mission Control" - Exposé/Spaces on steroids

XServe - gone

Resolution Independence - Nothing since Leopard beta's

Leopard Beta's iChat "Answering Machine" - great way to leave recorded video/audio Away messages and replies - great for the deaf - and to access them from any system away from home.

ZFS+ - bought out, Apple could have grabbed it with their billions, would have been great for high volume systems

Leopard 10.7 Developer Beta's - none yet when Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard had bi-weekly releases for at least a year before GM launch, and most new features made front-page MacRumors threads - replaced by iOS since 2007.

Dedicated display line-up - a stripped down 27" iMac LED LCD panel with only mini-Display Port (no 20/24/30" models)

Mid-level tower - None, expensive/over powered Xeon server Mac Pro replaced the reasonable priced PowerMac G5

64-bit integration - not even iLife '11

Professional Applications - Aperture now has "Share to Facebook"… on a Pro-App...

Final Cut Pro - Upcoming Release will may have features such as "Share to Facebook", "dumbing it down"

10.6.z Updates - focused around iOS, er, OS X App Store

So… I'm curious pm what people think of Apple's roadmap. Do you believe Apple is slowly phasing out Prosumer level systems/Applications, focusing on iOS/iDevices?

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
The poll is missing an option:

"I don't know, but somebody send a WAAAAAMBULANCE to bedifferent's house STAT!"

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
The poll is missing an option:

"I don't know, but somebody send a WAAAAAMBULANCE to bedifferent's house STAT!"

LOL Hey now, play nice. For a lot of Mac users, these are concerns.

…but I love your line, I used to get a chuckle when I heard any one use it :D

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Yes, they may be dumbing down their hardware / software to get away from the "Pro" type of line; but from a business sense, that is logical. The middle market, the one that fits the average every day consumer is where the money is. There are still Pro apps out there, but the ones from Apple are becoming more high-end consumer products instead of professional version tools. Yes, that means some of the advanced features have to be removed so that the average consumer doesn't get lost in a sea of features and options. Maybe a better choice would have been to create a consumer version instead of dumbing down the pro line? But then the consumer (where the bulk is being sold) would complain that there is a pro line.

For me, not being a professional, not needed more advanced features, it makes sense. They WILL NOT remove their OSX line of devices and go with all iOS devices because that would kill their market for their machines. No, I think OSX is going to continue to evolve to where it becomes easier for the average consumer but at the expense of some of the advanced features. It is where the money is.

If they are smart, and they are, they will keep the important, powerful features that the semi-pros want / need / use but maybe make them a bit more hidden. This way everyone (except the full on pros) get everything they need without being cluttered. I have confidence in Apple that they will make the end user experience something worth having; otherwise, someone else will.

As for the Pros, I think we'll see a re-emergence of the high end professional tools created by 3rd parties. There is a market, but it really isn't enough cash for Apple, but easily for someone else.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
ZFS+ - bought out, Apple could have grabbed it with their billions, would have been great for high volume systems

ZFS is a rats nest of patent litigation - no company with money in the bank would touch it until that problem is resolved. It has no useful purpose on MacBooks and iOS devices which between them make 90% of the devices that Apple sell. It would take huge engineering effort to make it compatible with the existing code base, both for Apple and for third party developers. And how many more computers would Apple be selling?

If Apple wants to do something good in that area, they should modify HFS+ so that it can combine a large hard drive plus a small(ish) SSD drive to get 80% of the performance of SSD combined with the huge size of an ordinary hard drive without paying through the nose. That would actually benefit a huge part of the customer base.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
ZFS+ - Yup, but for high volume systems, it would be perfect (Time Machine/Servers/etc.)

As for no market for mid-towers, Apple has created a market demand where none existed with the iPod -> iPhone -> iPad (which came before the iPhone but released later) all tied into the ITMS, gaining them a $50+ billion cash reserve.

There IS a demand from many (not just Prosumers) mid-level consumers for a mid-tower. A system with a less expensive processor (such as an i7, or even the cheaper/powerful AMD's), expandable/upgradable PCIe/SATA/etc. not tied into a form factor such as the iMac. It's akin to the "chicken before the egg", if Apple were to focus some of that $50+ billions on such a market, it would eventually bring in cash. It did for Apple before the iOS/iDevice market. Instead of cutting it out, give it some life. I personally know many who use "Final Cut Pro" for editing, and yet my friend working on their next "Final Cut Pro" release indicates not much improvement, even tie in's to sharing on Facebook, in a pro app.

A mid-level system and a dedicated display line wouldn't cannibalize other Apple products. Apple made good with their previous CCFL LCD line, yet they expect Mac Pro owners to use their 27" LED LCD's for their notebook line or purchase displays's elsewhere, it wouldn't cost them any more to produce another LED LCD size with longer cords. A mid-tower would be successful in addressing a market left behind with the demise of the ~$1500 PowerMac G4/5 that supported Apple through their down times.

If this makes those in this area needing a "WAAAAMBULANCE", then Apple should produce a LOT of them!

Last edited by a moderator:

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Apple had a chance at the brass ring with ZFS. Now they either have to develop their own filesystem (BIG bucks and a lot of risk because this is a cornerstone of computing), or license someone else's.

HFS+ is a decent filesystem, but it is showing its age. NTFS has been upgraded with features like snapshots. Linux is getting btrfs which may not have the LVM level stuff, but it is a significant advancement, especially the checksumming which can tell if a file was corrupted.

It would be nice to have Apple do some back to basics renovating of the core parts of OS X, such as a filesystem that has modern features. ZFS as a native (not FUSE) filesystem and LVM replacement would be ideal, technologically, but legally, it may be a different story depending on who owns what patents.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Totally agreed with the OP. :D

I'm curious, can any one link to at least three or four front page threads on 10.7 and Mac Pro updates in the past few months? Last time I saw anything on 10.7 was a small tidbit last year on "Mission Control" and some dock changes.

The next iPhone isn't even due for release until June, yet I've read more about it than OS X and desktop systems. Shame, I remember the days when OS X beta leaks were the hot topics. Apple DEFINITELY is leaving the professionals who supported them during their PowerPC years behind in leu of soccer Mom's and Starbuck "fashionista's". I visited my old Genius bar and spoke to ex-colleagues, many are leaving as they can't stand the obnoxious kids and constant complaining about products they don't know how to use. IDevices may have gotten Apple a lot of $$$, but at what cost?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
People need to pay attention to apple before making thousands of these stupid posts.

iDevices: Update ONCE per year.
Computers: Update multiple times per year.

iDevices: Directly contributed to huge growth at Apple, bringing more people onto the Mac platform then ever before and allowing Apple to get a ton of money to put towards better machines. Apple has been the forerunner in things like SSDs in laptops, larger track pads, amazing desktop systems (nothing comes close to how awesome the Mac Pro is).

People just like to cry if heaven forbid there is news about an iDevice. iDevices are very popular and is what drove a lot of people, like myself to Apple's systems.

As for Final Cut Pro, please read about it don't just assume it will be dumbed down. These threads are getting insanely annoying.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
People need to pay attention to apple before making thousands of these stupid posts.

iDevices: Update ONCE per year.
Computers: Update multiple times per year.

iDevices: Directly contributed to huge growth at Apple, bringing more people onto the Mac platform then ever before and allowing Apple to get a ton of money to put towards better machines. Apple has been the forerunner in things like SSDs in laptops, larger track pads, amazing desktop systems (nothing comes close to how awesome the Mac Pro is).

People just like to cry if heaven forbid there is news about an iDevice. iDevices are very popular and is what drove a lot of people, like myself to Apple's systems.

As for Final Cut Pro, please read about it don't just assume it will be dumbed down. These threads are getting insanely annoying.

1. My friend is on the Final Cut Pro team, no assumptions.

2. Good for you, glad you came on board and became one of the masses

3. Mac Pro is great, I have had three and am running a 2010 6-Core Westmere. Before the Mac Pro when Apple ran PowerPC processors, the PowerMacG4/5 were reasonably priced systems that weren't over powered Xeon server chipsets. You obviously have no idea about Apple's product update cycle, or the company's history with regard to OS X beta's that once were the main focus well before your time.

4. iPad/iPhone/iPod Nano/iOS - front page daily. MacBooks aren't desktop systems, they are portables. iMac's now run desktop Intel processors, before they ran laptop Intel chipsets as the available processors ran too hot and were difficult to fit into the then iMac form factor. Mac Pro's run Xeon Server grade chips, which cost thousands and lead to huge increases in Apple's work station systems. As well, with the lack of current tech such as USB 3.0 or FireWire 1600 or SATA III as 3.0 Gb/s is all that is supported by the MP controller is ridiculous for the price tag. If Apple implements Intel's Light Peak that would be amazing. However, stating that Apple uses or was the forefront of SSD is ignorant.

5. Apple bought Fingerworks, the company that helped pioneer multi-touch systems. Apple is amazing at perfecting technology, but the days of speed and cost are gone and have been replaced by mid-level consumer electronics for individuals such as yourself who have no need for using their systems to PRODUCE as you are CONSUMING. For those of us who actually make a living from OS X and desktop systems, iMac's are under-powered, Mac Pro's are over-powered and over-priced for the technology, and with the drop in XServe, Shake, and other Pro-Applications many are leaving for either Adobe Premiere Pro/CS5 App's or Apple all together to use AVID on Windows systems.

Please, don't complain about what you don't understand or have little experience with as you're new to Apple. It's great that you like Apple and its iDevices, but the downside for those of us who have been with Apple since the 90's and use it for our CAREERS, we're screwed.

Those are facts, I'll chalk up your comments to being new to Apple and ignorance. However, if you are sick of people crying about it, then why waste yours and mine time crying about those who have legitimate concerns, just MOVE ON. :)

EDIT: For the record, I take no issue with your comments, I do take issue with your arrogance and tone. It shows your age. Show some respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.