Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
matticus008 said:
They're not in a position to ignore one or the other, and it's absurd to claim that the Mac line is floundering when it is, in fact, flourishing.

If Apple keep up with the poor quality hardware then the Mac sales _will_ flounder.

----
Whether the macbooks have the same problems now that they did a few weeks ago is immaterial, the reputation of Apple hardware has taken a huge knock and they need to sort this out now.

As for competing with the PC market. For the core traditional Apple market they are not competing with the PC market at all. The market that will be hit will be the people who are coming from PCs (all the Apple advertising is aimed at this so it must be important to them). These people will still consider a windows machine as a viable alternative to the 'equivalent' mac.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
mini.boss said:
When Apple first hit Intel they shocked everyone with how competetive their prices were. But that was over a year ago and there hasn't been any changes in specs or price since then.

What?? They've increased the specs AND lowered the price. What on earth are you talking about?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
savar said:
What?? They've increased the specs AND lowered the price. What on earth are you talking about?

Exactly, I almost feel sorry for those who bought PPC macs in the past... almost

Omegamanstyle

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2006
Pennsylvania, USA
Porco said:
I love that the OS actually feels like an extension of the hardware and vice-versa. I love that using a Mac is a conscious decision for actual reasons and not one made by default (i.e. buying a windows machine because 'it's what everyone else uses'). I love that Apple isn't just about making as cheap a computer at a certain technical specification as possible. If they wanted to be that, I'm sure they could, but I think the company has an actual philosophy of how it wants computing to be, and I think that's great.

Well said. You have perfectly distilled the reasons why I, for one, choose Apple. Call it a lifestyle, call it a philosophy, heck - call it marketing :eek: , but it is an attitude, an outlook, and dare I say it - an ethic.

You could spend some time arguing that a Mazda is just as good as a Porsche, but in the end, the Porsche is the Porsche and people pay the money to drive the Porsche. They put up with driving the Mazda.
(No offense to all you Mazda owners out there... :) )

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Omegamanstyle said:
Well said. You have perfectly distilled the reasons why I, for one, choose Apple. Call it a lifestyle, call it a philosophy, heck - call it marketing :eek: , but it is an attitude, an outlook, and dare I say it - an ethic.

You could spend some time arguing that a Mazda is just as good as a Porsche, but in the end, the Porsche is the Porsche and people pay the money to drive the Porsche. They put up with driving the Mazda.
(No offense to all you Mazda owners out there... :) )

I slightly better comparison would be a Toyota and a Lexus. Or an Skoda and an Audi.

Cars made by the same people with the smae components but look different and are aimed at different markets/ income groups.

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
Agreed!
I don't mind paying the extra buck for Apple's design, OSX, reliability etc., But what pains me the most is even though i am paying the extra $, i still don't get the latest processor in the laptop! I know its just a matter of time, but Apple should not be taking this long to get the C2D in its flagship model of laptops!

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
emotion said:
If Apple keep up with the poor quality hardware then the Mac sales _will_ flounder.
Presumably and based on your intuition. What the facts show, though, is counterintuitive: despite the Macbook problems, sales are up significantly, and it's been weeks since the noise issues have been newsworthy. They have to keep on top of the Mac line, as I said, because they can't afford not to. The iPod is not propping the company up single-handedly.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
mini.boss said:
....... It really pushes people away to tell them to spend $1500 for old technology and then "surprise" us with a new system next week for the exact same cost.

If it "pushes people away" why is Apple having problems building the machines fast enough? They are basically selling as many as they can build.

The ONLY reason to lower a price is if you want to sell more units. When the factory is running to capasity there is not reason to lower the price. In fact the best thing is to raise the price until demand equals supply. By keepig the price constant they have effectivly done this. OK they could expand the factory and build more but there is risk involved with that

Which would you rather do if you owned a store? Sell 1000 widgets at a 5% markup or sell 500 widgets at a 10% markup? You make the same amount of money in either case, the consummer only sees a 5% difference in price and may not even care because you can now spend twice the money on customer service. It is actually more profetable to sel fewer computers sometimes

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
generik said:
...If I buy a Thinkpad I know what I am getting, the boys designing that even described the pains they took to make the logic board electrically silent to prevent disturbance to wireless. What have Apple done? Overheating... whining... oh please. Well designed my ass.

Dude that is pure Bulls***, I'm sorry, I have no other words to describe it. If you buy a Thinkpad you are just as likely buying a malfunctuning logic board, a failing hard drive or a not-working cd/dvd drive. Thinkpads do not have 100% quality control, they ship at least the same amount of defect units as apple.

As I wrote before in other threads, out of 2 Thinkpads we had at the agency 1 had a faulty logic board, the other had a failing hard drive and 3 weeks after it was repaired the cd drive was not working in one of them. Both were bought about a year ago.

Yeah, just because we have experienced these things with 2 thinkpads doesn't make all of them crappy, but some overheating and whining stories you have read at some forum doesn't make all apple hardware crappy. A friend of mine bought a macbook the week they came out, no overheating, no whining, works like a dream so far, now, how do you explain that?

I'd like to see C2D in the macbook(pros)s too & I think they should come out the earlier the better. I just want to tell you that your statement "apple=crappy quality control, thinkpad=failure proof" is just plain false.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
generik said:
Exactly, I almost feel sorry for those who bought PPC macs in the past... almost

Sad but true. The thing is though when I got mine there was no Intel Mac available and I wasn't going to wait 6 months to a year. Like what I'm about to say... companies and certain people won't shell out for 1st generations till things are worked out... especially if they have a load of hardware/software thats still for the previous generation.

I certainly don't want to be a guinea pig for new stuff, Mac or PC. Let others go through all the grief with problems to sort them out.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
generik said:
Well, Apple should be more proactive in other market segments then, especially considering Microsoft has just joined in the fray. You may argue it is ugly and crap, but remember pocket pc when it first started? Where is Palm today?
Oh, I don't disagree, I was just giving a (relatively) value-neutral take on the Apple situation. I don't like the iPod driving Apple's system, but that's the way it is, and that's the way it will be for the forseeable future.

And yeah, the potential for failure down the road is all the more reason for Apple to expand market share and options in terms of computers - that's your core business, your reason for existing in the first place.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
Based on what? You have indicated no methodology to determine value. If you're talking about retail price v. component price, I think you'll find that you're mistaken (PPC cost-to-retail price was far more disparate a year or two ago than the same ratio with Intel, even today).
I'm talking about what I can buy in Apple-land vs. what I can buy in PC-land.

A first-gen iMac was as usable as your average PC, with a better monitor, for a good price. The current iMac is less powerful than the average PC using similar hardware and price-points, with a relatively mediocre monitor packaged in.

In the G4 days, the low-end tower was price-competitive with similar Adobe/design/small-business machines in the PC world, and that low-end tower wasn't really much worse than the upscale towers (G4/800 vs. G4/933, for instance). Today? Not so much - you're stepping into a computer that's stripped and nigh unusable (with 1GB of RAM) or a $3000 machine. There exists no affordable option where you can, say, swap a graphics card or anything of the sort.

Apple portables were a good value for perhaps the first time ever at the Core Duo introduction (and Macbook intro). But now they're two months behind, and even once they have C2D will be priced higher than the PC competition. Laptop prices have rapidly fallen and Apple hasn't kept up. Do you really want to argue that a $2700 Core Duo lappie is in any way competitive with the available PC hardware?

The truth is that Apple has always kept a high margin on its hardware, but it's one that has been balanced by a more-than-competitive software bundle as well as substantial long-term value. The depreciation rate of Macs alone results in the "price premium" being repaid 1-3 years out.
Bollocks, you don't seem to understand the used market.

Apples held their value artificially - because three generations of Powerbook weren't that different from each other. So they held value (ie why buy new when a used one is just as good?). Now? Not so much. Intel is set to progress rapidly, which will cause Macs to devalue much faster than before.

The process has already begun - compare the used prices of CD iMacs to original retail. It ain't pretty. And it's just going to get worse as some iMacs move further up the price ladder - a $2800, loaded 24" iMac? You really think a laptop processor (without portability), so-so monitor and mid-level current graphics card is going to be worth a bunch of money in three years?

Good luck with that.

Value is no longer a sum of the parts costs--if it is for you, then naturally you'd consider Apple a raw deal. But if the bottom line is the only salient factor in your decision, you were foolish to consider Apple in the first place.

The bottom line is 'what did I pay, what can I recoup by selling when I go to upgrade, and what did the machine do for me in the meantime.' If not for the $500 ACD discount, I wouldn't have even considered a Mac Pro. But with it, Apple has me for one more go. In four years, I'll look at my options again - Apple will either have written me out of their customer base entirely, or Linux/Windows will have improved to meet my standards.

I want a computer that just works. Don't need Apple's pointless flash and don't need Win/ux's many flaws (chief among them for Linux: no native Adobe).

They're not in a position to ignore one or the other, and it's absurd to claim that the Mac line is floundering when it is, in fact, flourishing.

I didn't say that it was - and you seem to have agreed with me (the iPod is now a full 50% of Apple's business, and growing, and the CE market is expanding, and this is what investors care about) while going 'nuh-uh!'

The Mac line isn't floundering, it's stagnant in terms of innovation and market. There's a difference.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I think Apple has messed up by making computers now same way everybody else does, even take your old OS with you! I will NEVER run windows on my mac and probably will find a G5 tower that lasts me to retirement. I don't trust pc's, intel, microsoft, etc... for a reason - they SUCK!!! Call me old fashioned, but I'll be OG when all the new hot stuff has burnt up and faded away. MacOS rules (10.4.8 still in question) and like my momma said,

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it!":p

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
milozauckerman said:
A first-gen iMac was as usable as your average PC, with a better monitor, for a good price. The current iMac is less powerful than the average PC using similar hardware and price-points, with a relatively mediocre monitor packaged in.
I'm not seeing where this is the case, nor does your "average PC" claim mean anything--what is an average PC? The iMac is still competitively priced against many PC alternatives with matching specifications.

As for the "G4 days," I think you're remembering them with a rosy tint--PowerMac G4s were substantially more expensive than their PC counterparts. I'll agree that there was a greater range of options in those days for the desktop and that a true low-end desktop would be desirable for many, but I don't think that filling the gap with noncompetitive systems solves anything. It's not that the Mac Pro is too expensive or the iMac is too underpowered--it's that Apple doesn't have a product in that slot. It's like saying the Mac mini sucks as an HTPC; of course it does, it's not an HTPC.

Do you really want to argue that a $2700 Core Duo lappie is in any way competitive with the available PC hardware?
You'll also find that there are several models similar in price and specification to current Mac portables in the much wider PC market. Are Macs the best price? No. Are they the worst price? Certainly not.

Apples held their value artificially - because three generations of Powerbook weren't that different from each other. So they held value (ie why buy new when a used one is just as good?). Now? Not so much. Intel is set to progress rapidly, which will cause Macs to devalue much faster than before.
Your entire perspective is based purely upon raw specs--both for quality and for value. This isn't an accurate depiction of the Apple market. The reason Apple computers hold value has little to do with the similarity of hardware. It has to do with the fact that they run OS X, that OS X runs on older hardware with more success than Windows, and that as a result, the machines have a longer life span. A two year old PC is basically worthless; a two year old Mac is less than halfway through its usable lifespan, which is why it holds onto that residual value. Apple is not going to jump on the "weekly update" bandwagon.

I want a computer that just works. Don't need Apple's pointless flash and don't need Win/ux's many flaws (chief among them for Linux: no native Adobe).
Well sadly, it looks like no one has what you're looking for. Don't expect Apple to drop the "pointless flash" any time soon. Obviously, your perceptions of quality and value are based on very narrow parameters not shared by the Apple user base and core market. Much of the value and justification for Apple's pricing is irrelevant to you, which is fine. But it's not irrelevant to the rest of the world.

I didn't say that it was - and you seem to have agreed with me (the iPod is now a full 50% of Apple's business, and growing, and the CE market is expanding, and this is what investors care about) while going 'nuh-uh!'
First you claim that the iPod is slowing down, and now you say it's growing? (It's about half and mostly holding steady). Also, allow me to remind you of where you seem to question the relevance of the Mac unit:

"ultimately it won't effect [sic] their bottom line because investors are quite happy with Jobs & Co. so long as the consumer-electronics line is doing well. That's where the money is. If Apple sells half as many Macbook Pros as they potentially could, that's more than offset by, say, new shuffle sales."

In other words, the iPod is more important than the Mac--flatly untrue. If Apple sells half the MBPs, it is in no way offset by iPod sales. Computer revenue is dramatically higher per unit, and all the new iPods combined couldn't offset a falloff of 50% in the Macbook line. The new Macs are nowhere near the end of an Apple product cycle and accordingly nowhere near "stagnant."

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The notebook crowd needs to understand something important.

VERY FEW laptops can handle the heat of Core 2 Duo with any respectable
video card.

Any machine you buy with current tech from ANY manufacturer is a REV A transitional hybrib.

The eventual goal is to get low power multi core chips and low power VRAM to run MUCH cooler with an average 8 hour battery life.

That's going to take re-tooling to 45 nm.

Not only will we get more efficient 64 bit processing, but ATI and NVidia are also working on getting the heat down in their video cards.
They also need to re-tool or buy from vendors who already have.

The P/C's are cheaper argument is false economy, when you look at the cost
of extra useable software and A/V protection subscriptions.

P/C'er are in for a rude awakening with Vista.

They are totally spoiled by software saturation that allows widespread sharing
of OS software.

Vista is going to put that practice to a screeching halt and it won't be cheap.

Then it won't be long before they are forced to buy "Vista Compatable" software
and hardware components.

We have a bit of that coming too with Leopard, but the typical P/C's are cheaper
mindset doesn't hold water.

Go ahead and buy yourself a Windows Only Lap Toaster
to save a few hundred bucks!
I don't care.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
A long while ago someone said:
Apple products tend to be much better value at the start of their product cycle compared to equivalent PCs but not towards the end of it.

I really have to disagree. The whole difference lies in the operating system and it's probably more noticeable in the long run. Here's the scenario:
You have upgraded to a recent computer and there are 2 computers to spare now. If you use OS X on all of these computers, it is reasonable to keep them all and turn them into appliances... a Powermac as NAS, a G3 iMac for webbrowsing in the toilet or whatever :) ...

You can choose to update the OS in all of them, or you can keep the original edition of OS X and there's still a consistant experience, things that work well in one of these machines will work better on the newest of them.
Just you try doing this with several computers, some with XP, some with something that is older than XP: it's a major hassle.

mini.boss

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Well, I guess the true answer to the original question is decided. Apple will continue to milk their product cycles because they can. And they can because the most vocal of Mac owners prefer to defend Apple's faults and profit margins rather than question their actions.

I didnt bring this up to start aanything. Its just that I was under the impression that Apple was going for taking advantage of a situation and drastically increasing its marketshare. Obviously I'm wrong because I've learned that Apple, and especially its fans, prefer to be the little guy.

As a mac and pc user then I hope that this attitude hurts apple in the end so that they can eventually have a pricing structure that appeals to everyone. But I guess thats because I'm one of those sickos who cares more about the cost/performance/reliability of the product than the profitability of the company.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
mini.boss said:
...they can because the most vocal of Mac owners prefer to defend Apple's faults and profit margins rather than question their actions.
As a mac and pc user then I hope that this attitude hurts apple in the end so that they can eventually have a pricing structure that appeals to everyone. But I guess thats because I'm one of those sickos who cares more about the cost/performance/reliability of the product than the profitability of the company.
QFT. WORD my friend. Nice response.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
I'm not seeing where this is the case, nor does your "average PC" claim mean anything--what is an average PC? The iMac is still competitively priced against many PC alternatives with matching specifications.
Ah, the head in the sand approach - 'if I demand the unanswerable, no one can argue with me!!!!'

Where are these 'PC alternatives with matching specifications'? Who's putting out laptop-based desktops right now for iMac prices?

Or even ignoring the big difference in laptop and desktop hardware - show me where it costs $2200 ($2800-$600 for the Dell 24") to get a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo chip and 7600GT or equivalent graphics card. It doesn't. That's simply bad value in comparison, unless you believe that OS X is worth a 75% premium.

You'll also find that there are several models similar in price and specification to current Mac portables in the much wider PC market. Are Macs the best price? No. Are they the worst price? Certainly not.
I will? Where are these $2700 Core Duo laptops?
Where are the $2000 Core Duo laptops?

As for the "G4 days," I think you're remembering them with a rosy tint-
I'm remembering them at their retail price points, nothing more. The average consumer could buy a low-end G4 tower for $1600 - which was fairly equal to a mid-range desktop at the time.

The upscale G4 towers got much more expensive for minor improvements.

Your entire perspective is based purely upon raw specs--both for quality and for value.
No, I explained my perspective on value, and gave examples of the acceleration depreciation of Apple products in the new Intel market.

You just don't like it, and want to blather on about how Apple's value is tied up in the beauty of OS X and it's just better and blah blah blah. Nonsense. Yes, OS X is more user friendly, that's why I pay the Apple tax. In no way does that equate to greater value when one goes to buy and sell a computer, because most people don't think in terms of your 'ooooh, but I'm buying upscale.'

First you claim that the iPod is slowing down,

One key problem here: I never said that it was slowing down. Can you read?

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
apple is a premium product, but as it gets a bigger market.

Also, i think that they ought to drop their pricing on some models.

additionally, Apple needs to make a mid sized tower. for former pc users who dont want to spend as much money as a mac pro requires.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
mini.boss said:
BTW, I never said they had a "flawed" strategy. I'm just pointing out that to PC users then they're not staying competetive by charging the same prices for a product throughout its entire lifecycle. Judging from the responses so far I now realize I am way off base. Apple can charge whatever they want because there's always a big enough portion of their userbase who will pay it. Who needs new customers.

So, you expect Apple to become just another generic pc maker like Dell and sell poorly built machines that have a short life cycle. People are always fooled into thinking a low price up front is better even if the actual life of the product is shorter.

Apple has always stood for quality just like BMW or Mercedes. If you want one, expect to pay the price.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
milozauckerman said:
Ah, the head in the sand approach - 'if I demand the unanswerable, no one can argue with me!!!!'
It's not unanswerable--it's unquantifiable. The PC market is diverse and rearranging to fit different "mission profiles." There is no "average" PC. What you get for the iMac price is reasonable for certain uses and unreasonable for some other goals. It doesn't make the iMac a bad value. It just makes it a bad choice for you because you want it to be something it's not.

Where are these 'PC alternatives with matching specifications'? Who's putting out laptop-based desktops right now for iMac prices?
Core Duo is not a laptop-based processor. Intel itself identifies desktop use as one of the Core Duo markets.

Or even ignoring the big difference in laptop and desktop hardware - show me where it costs $2200 ($2800-$600 for the Dell 24") to get a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo chip and 7600GT or equivalent graphics card. It doesn't. That's simply bad value in comparison, unless you believe that OS X is worth a 75% premium.
So now a comparison of "average" to you is based on the highest, most expensive Apple product in a series being compared to a mid- to low-range budget PC? You've already admitted that the "top end" products in each Apple model line are proportionately more expensive than others. This is true of most electronics companies.

I will? Where are these $2700 Core Duo laptops?
Where are the $2000 Core Duo laptops?
Again, "average" for Apple being the most expensive, while "average" for everyone else is whatever best fits your argument. $2700 machines: many Dell XPS models (not the ones with two hard drives and 8GB of RAM, either). $2000 price range is the one I'm more familiar with--Thinkpad z61/T60/X60, Acer Travelmate ZM4000 series units, Sony Vaio SZ series, and the list goes on. Just because you ignore them doesn't mean they don't exist. In fact, the Thinkpad T60 priced at $3200 has almost identical specs to the 15" MBP.

No, I explained my perspective on value, and gave examples of the acceleration depreciation of Apple products in the new Intel market.
No, you gave no examples. You mentioned a hypothesis. If you look at eBay, you can see that the Intel Macs are selling at near-new prices, just as the PPC ones did. Furthermore, look at the G4 towers now--compare to a similar-vintage PC. G4 towers are still going for $1000+ in some cases, despite being at least 3 years old. To control the "eBay inflation effect," compare in both cases PCs of the same age. The difference is substantial.

You just don't like it, and want to blather on about how Apple's value is tied up in the beauty of OS X and it's just better and blah blah blah. Nonsense.
I never said that it was tied on in the "beauty" of OS X. The value is largely dependent on the OS, however, because the OS is available to a smaller market and therefore overall availability is lower, which naturally sustains a high demand. PCs are cheap, new PCs are cheap, and used PCs are almost worthless--because they are not well supported by Windows after release and because the update cycle means that individual models last a few weeks before being replaced at the exact same price. The rules in the Apple market are not the same as the computer market as a whole, and the reason is because Apple computers are the only ones with OS X.

In no way does that equate to greater value when one goes to buy and sell a computer, because most people don't think in terms of your 'ooooh, but I'm buying upscale.'
You'd be surprised. Why do people buy Macs, in your view, if not because of OS X or other immaterial factors? It's a combination of aesthetic design, the "just works" factor, the included software and OS X (introducing many reasons related to this), perceived security, and the fact that Macs are "trendy." For any one of those, you will find people willing to pay an additional 10% or more. For just about any Mac, you can find multiple similar models at the same price--it's not any more of a premium than, say Sony. Why doesn't Sony sell all their 2.16GHz Vaios for $900? Gosh, no one would be stupid enough to pay $2200 for that when they can get the same CPU and graphics in an $800 computer! Crazy, right?

For people who are just looking for the cheapest buy, Apple's never going to show up on their radar except to say, "I wish they were cheaper." When you come back justifying the "high" Apple "premium" by showing that Apple's products are higher than any PC competitor, then you might start making sense.

One key problem here: I never said that it was slowing down. Can you read?
Ah, "can you read?" The great, "I can't come back with substance so I'll just insult your comprehension" move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.