Is Apple TV worth it for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applefan289, Jul 4, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm trying to figure out if Apple TV is the way to go. I've started to buy TV shows and music videos. I have them on my iPad and Mac.

The reason I'm asking is because I currently am with Comcast cable (which has On Demand, etc.), and I also have a Blu-ray player. Where would Apple TV fit in this setup?

I am currently using iTunes for episodes (or videos) that are not available on Blu-ray or Comcast. In other words, iTunes has its own little niche in my setup.

But how would I use Apple TV? Do I have to have my computer on to stream stuff? Is it impractical?

I love watching stuff on my iPad and iMac, just wondering if I should give these purchases some TV time.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, you have to use the computer to stream TV and movies bought from iTunes - but you can rent them directly from Apple TV as well.

I use mine to stream Netflix, in addition to the occasional movie rental from iTunes.

3. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

If you like renting your stuff from iTunes or if you have a large library of itunes stuff than ATV is the way to go for you.

4. RebelScum macrumors 6502

The best thing ATV is good for is Airplay, hands-down. There are other, more capable devices out there, but only ATV will let you share your iPad/iPhone content on your big screen.

Unless you have a lot of ripped content on your HDD, ATV is a perfectly capable HTSTB, and the only one that handles music well. Yes your puter needs to be on to stream locally stored content (i.e. iTunes purchases), but that's hardly a dealbreaker. For $100, you can't go wrong.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I have comcast. I also have a samsung tv that has netflix, hulu plus, vudu and a number of other apps on it. To watch movies that were on my computer I can put them on an external drive and connect it to the samsung using the usb bus. It works very well. The only thing I would like an apple tv for is to use iphoto to display photos on the tv. I've tryed eyeconnect and a few others but the iphoto interface is clunky.

Just my 2 cents. I'm watching to see if an appletv 3 comes out someday and will consider it depending on what it can do for me.