Is Apple Watch S4 Coming This Fall?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rhyzome, Jun 21, 2018.

?

Is Apple Watch S4 2-3 months away?

1. yes

65 vote(s)
    82.3%
  2. no

14 vote(s)
    17.7%
  1. rhyzome macrumors regular

September keeps with the pattern... but it is gettting closer and no rumors...
    plus with Air Power delayed until Sept., would it be awkward for Apple to release S4 alongside Airpower, which was introduced as a key feature of the S3 watch?

I’m torn...help me decide when!

2. rhyzome thread starter macrumors regular

purposely chose not to make that a choice

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Not exactly True. There has been one viable rumor, basically which stated that the Series 4 will have a 15% larger display, increased battery life and additional health sensors. That was predicted back in Late March from Ming Kuo.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/27/apple-watch-series-4-redesign-rumor/amp/

The AirPower was never delayed. It was announced during the fall Keynote in 2017 and was slated to launch in 2018 with no release date. Also, I don’t think it’s awkward for the Airpower release along side the Series 4, given Apple likely will also release the wireless battery case for the AirPods as well.

4. Nell macrumors 6502

I fully expect to be wrong but with the Series 3 LTE still being released in new markets I think we may wait til spring for Series 4.

5. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

I still think September, even if they are still releasing in different markets. They'll just release the Series 4 in these new markets instead.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Really good point. And it’s not to say that the Apple Watch should be an annual release, but it could be released in spring 2019, given that the Series 3 is more than capable of being a performer until then. Which would also make for an interesting fall Keynote if an Apple Watch did not launch, which basically leaves open for the Airpower, three new iPhones predicted and maybe a new iPad.

7. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

Series 3 LTE can be sold alongside Series 4. I wouldn't expect smaller countries to hold up a Series 4 launch. As long as it can be launched in the U.S., China, and some parts of Europe, that's 80% of the market.

8. AsherN macrumors 6502

WatchOS5 drops support for the Series 0. I would expect the Series 4 to take it's place.

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Honestly, I'd expect Apple to drop S3 from the model table when S4 or whatever they'll call it premieres just like they did with S2 when S3 launched, to not have two fairly similar specced and priced models for sale at the same time. If they don't, a lot of potential S4 sales would instead be cannibalized by S3 sales.

If I was to speculate further, I'd assume S1 would remain as the low-end offering, kind of like iPhone SE have been for a while now. There isn't much room for S3 to move down in price due to the much higher specs of that model; if Apple cuts S3 price they'll just cannibalize more S4 sales and their ASP/revenue would drop. If they don't drop price (much), the high-end of their model offerings gets cluttered by two similar-ish models, and there would still be cannibalization going on.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe Apple only drops the ceramic/stainless/LTE versions of S3 plus the old S1, and keeps the aluminium, non-LTE S3 as the new low-end model, while the new S4 models will be greatly upgraded and provide a significant feature, performance and functionality difference... *shrug* :D

10. avensis18, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018

avensis18 macrumors newbie

I read a lot of articles about it but nothing official, for the moment it's only rumors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iphone 6 iphone 7

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Technically that would mean the Series 1 and Series 2 would be the oldest models supported, being they shot both share the same processor. Which I would expect at least those two models to survive at least through watchOS 6, before being discontinued by watchOS 7. Of course which is all speculation.

12. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

If the S4 gets a larger display and solid state buttons, I see it as a form factor change. This typically appeals to many people. The S2 and S3 are visually identical and similar in features.

The Watch is still new to many consumers and the S1 is intended to attract those on fence. As the Watch becomes more mature, I don't think Apple wants to sell a $229 S1 if consumers are willing to buy a $279 S3.

The iPhone SE is intended for emerging markets and targets the 200 million customers who bought "dumb" phones last year. The Watch is for consumers who already have an iPhone and are willing to buy a second premium device. As a result, I don't think S1 will stay for another year.

13. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

It also sells here in the west, and many people buy it because it's an iphone which unlike all of the others is cheap(ish.) A mate of mine bought one a couple years ago, his prior phone was an iphone 4S.

Between 2 kids and a house literally over 110 years old and under constant renovation, they don't have much money to go around.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I don’t believe The solid-state buttons necessarily require ‘a form factor change’, it allows for more battery space and increased water resistance, Thats literally it. Being the buttons will require more battery power through usage, that alone is a given for a larger capacity lithium ion battery. I also don’t see the Series 4 dramatically changing in form factor, perhaps they might tweak the casing, but the display size change is questionable.

Either way, the Rumor indicates that they are migrating towards solid-state buttons for the Watch is highly believable (Even though only one source has predicted this), given they have done so with other products.

15. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

For my two cents worth, if Watch 4 is just a little bit bigger screen and a little bit faster, and lasts a little bit longer , I’m not sure it is worth the investment.

Hopefully it will have something that hasn’t shown up yet that makes it worth it.

16. dbrewood macrumors member

dbrewood

The killer function for me would be an improvement in reading heart rate and ‘wear detection’ for those of us who have tattoos. Fitbit can do it with their Ionic and Versa watches so Apple should be able to do it.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I actually just look forward to a larger display or reduced bezels if anything. Maybe a new metal casing, perhaps titanium would be a nice addition.

18. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

The current bezels don’t really bother me to be honest as the curvature of the glass actually masks them.

19. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

I kind of agree. For the first time since the watch appeared I may not upgrade this cycle. Hopefully they have a surprise that’s not leaking

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am betting the watch body is slightly larger but still uses the current bands. That would allow for the larger screen and battery. Can’t see to much as far as medical sensors. Maybe in a few more years.

21. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

All signs point to series 4 in September

Bet iPads follow in November

22. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

Titanium scratches very, very easily. Thus it has to be painted to look good which diminishes its appearance. Remember the titanium Powerbook in the early 2000s? It was painted for just this reason.

23. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

You sure it was actually painted though and not anodized?