Is AppleCare really worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by npolly0212, Oct 29, 2015.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

i have owned 3 iPhones and 2 galaxy notes since the iPhone 4 has come out, and I am accident prone (have cracked very screen but never cared enough to get them fixed)

Well after purchasing the iPhone 6s+ I am debating ordering AppleCare for my phone.

Just wondering if it is truly worth spending 130 or whatever cost is and than also if anything goes wrong paying the 99$ fee?

Only thing I'm truly concerned for is cracking the screen which I can take to a store and have fixed for 100-140$

So do you guys believe AppleCare is truly worth it to buy? Or just another way for them to make money off me?

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Depends, are you water damage prone? Do you crack your phone a lot (3+ times per phone)? I don't think it is, but I never break my phone in any way.

3. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Only thing I have thoughts of is maybe cracking it, I've cracked all my phones, by normally near the end of owning them so don't get them fixed ever.

I have dropped one in a toilet years ago so I no longer pull t out of my pocket near water lol

4. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I've had it for every iPhone ive owned and I'd say it's 100% worth it when defects show up after the 1 year mark.

Also I've found its really hassle free when the genius finds out you have AppleCare

5. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well that's another problem.
    I have no apple store near me so if I ever have a problem I have to ship it back in and I am phoneless until itis sent back

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just ask yourself how comfortable you are if you had to replace the phone out of pocket.

1. Out of pocket for 6S plus is $329
    2. Out of pocket for 6s is $299
    3. Screen replacement for 6s is $129
    4. Screen replacement for 6S plus is $149

AppleCare: $129 plus $99 (x 2 events)

Square trade :$99 plus $75 (up to 3 events but they also reduce the total value of the insurance policy per event paid out). So it's not a full phone replacement after the 1st claim

Carrier insurance (most do cover theft/lost) with $200 deductible and $7-10/month.

Credit card insurance : free perk. Many have 90 day accidental lost and damage (Amex and discover 100% for sure). Other cards vary. On warning. They replace price paid for phone. So it becomes extremely tricky if you are on installment monthly plan. Amex may not cover you fully since its considered a financing plan not offered through Amex or other cards

7. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am honestly only planning to replace a screen and that would be all if I were to buy AppleCare (normally only problem I have)

Once I get tax return I am going to go ahead and pay he whole phone off and whatnot so if anything becomes of it in a year or 2 I can just upgrade again

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Whatever you do, DONT read any of the previous threads discussing this.

9. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

If it was worth the cost they wouldn't offer it. They do because they make profit on people paying for essentially nothing.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Nail head interface. It's like any insurance product, they hope you won't ever use it and most don't. So essentially it's money for old rope so far as Apple are concerned. Sure someone somewhere will damage their phone two or three times and be glad that they had Applecare, but for me it's another premium on top of an already expensive phone and on top of an expensive storage upgrade.

11. darkinners macrumors member

before the price bump this year, yes it's worth it.
    But now? Not so much.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

For a cracked screen you'd need to use both of your damages in two years to be where you would be just laying out of pocket. Apple care only "pays out" during total destruction (submersion, full crushing, etc) of your device.

I always recommend people just put a bit of cash aside each month as an emergency fund. We already do this with vehicles, our phones, etc. I've saved enough money over the years not buying the insurance to pay full msrp for a couple of devices. We also all tend to use cases (just prefer them for grip, look, etc). Ran my iPhone 4 through the wash launch day and they replaced it for $100 because they felt bad. Otherwise no issues.

13. j2ee Suspended

j2ee

You only get a refurbished phone but not a total new one, and icare price just increase so much. If you care the phone a lot just buy a heavy protect case. If you live at somewhere with a lot of water then may worth it, there should be water proof case but may look bad.

14. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Didn't have a choice since I'm doing the upgrade program. I don't feel bad going caseless though.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I've never bothered with it because for £10 a year I can get my iPhone covered on my home contents insurance. It covers loss and accidental damage. It's probably more hassle to sort out in the event of an issue but I can live with that.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If it is worth it is kinda up to you. Are you the type person that drops his phone a lot or get it wet? If so yes, but I have never had AC+ on any of my phones and never needed it so I feel like I am ahead for sure! There are people who seem to have bad luck and drop everything and others that do not. Which are you?

17. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I ALWAYS get it. Even if I'm not accident prone. I believe the cost of replacing the screen without it is higher than the cost of Apple care and the screen replacement fee. Plus it extends the warranty for one year.
    For me, that's worth it.

18. EvilKittyCupcake macrumors member

EvilKittyCupcake

Not for me.
    I have an Otterbox Commuter and a Zagg tempered glass screen protector on my 6s (I got that on all my previous iPhones) and I never had an issue!

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

We got two iPhone 6s. I am much better taking care of my phones than my wife.

My wife is reckless with her phones. Multiple drops she's dropped the 6S at least 3 times (when I have been around) on the hard ceramic tile we have at home including yesterday I just the loudest noise.

We have a griffin survivor core which has serve us well from drops. Eventually even if glass doesn't shatter the logic board or other thing will break down like her last 2 phones.

I went with square trade with her. She will just have to deal with potentially non OEM parts if square trade gets involved.

Plus i upgrade my iPhone every year so she can use my phone as a spare next year.

20. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I feel the same way and it's the reason I get it with all of my iPhones as well. I like knowing that "IF" something unforeseen were to happen I don't have to worry because the phone that I carry with me everyday is covered. This to me is worth the price of AC+. :)

21. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

1. The peace of mind and lack of stress is more than worth the cost. (The odds of my having an accident are high.)
    2. Priority tech support and service.
    3. Express replacement: get a new phone right away, before Apple even receives your broken one.
    4. Voodoo. If I buy AppleCare + I won't have an accident.

22. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

The answer is no. It is not worth it.

23. ABC5S macrumors 68040

For those that say its not worth it. Accidents do happen, even with the more careful person. Enough said ;) Even just one time and might wish you had it.

24. mctrees02 macrumors member

The cost/benefit analysis is never really going to match up for an individual when buying electronic warranty plans. Paying $129 to cover a device that costs between $649 and $949 is assuming there is somewhere between a 13-20% chance you'll need to replace your phone when you aren't eligible to upgrade/trade-in. Add in the $99 incident cost and you're now assuming there is between a 25-35% chance that you will need to replace your phone.

The reason the policies are priced such as they are is because an actuary already knows that, using the law of large numbers, the claims rate is somewhere around 10-15%. Knowing this, they price the policy where you're paying odds of 25-35% and Apple makes a handsome 15-20% profit (or about $20-25) off of every AppleCare plan they sell.

I won't even get into running the numbers based on type of damage happens to the phone. If it's a cracked screen, then you are MUCH better off without insurance and just paying the repair cost without AppleCare. If you believe there's a greater than 25-35% chance of water damage (depending on model) killing your device, then and only then would it make sense for you to buy AppleCare.

25. ACG12 macrumors 6502

Isn't the only time you pay out of pocket is if you break the phone/screen? If it's past the one year mark and say the battery fails, home buttons stops working, isn't that $0 out of pocket?

I have it on my Air 2 and I got it for peace of mind. I will be getting it on my next iPhone.