Is AppleCare + worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dtp8513, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

In the past, I broke my phone and it cost me $200 to fix (water damage).

It happened once in 3 years...

Is AppleCare+ really worth it at $100?

2. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

If you are a lucky person and nothing ever goes wrong for you regarding tech devices. Not worth it.

However, just an example of how extended warranties paid off for me. I had a Dell gaming laptop, the video card blew in the very last part of the 3rd year. Would have cost me over 600.00 to replace it. I got it done for free.

This year in year 2 of my iMac Apple care warranty, I had a smudge issue come up on my screen. They came to my home, evaluated the situation, and replaced my LCD display at home. Would have cost me almost half + the cost of a new iMac.

The question is punk.... are you feelin lucky? :D

That being said, damage caused by user, sometimes not worth it, damage occurring from software or hardware defect or issues, well worth it.

WW

Besides, I normally have a policy that any device that I pay over 400.oo for, I protect with extended warranty.

3. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

It's like any insurance, is peace of mind worth it? Plan is $100, new iPhone 4S replacement at retail price begins at $650. So if you break it without insurance of any kind, this is the possible cost to you if it cannot be fixed.

I purchased it for 2 years worth of peace of mind.

4. Slowlo macrumors newbie

Don't forget the $50 deductible if you actually make a claim.

5. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Don't they normally replace/fix phones for $200, not full retail price?

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It's worth it for me since I'm with Sprint and there not offering insurance on iPhones. So applecare is worth it for me, and in the long run will be cheaper than my Sprint insurance. Just as long as I don't loose it.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes. But, AppleCare+ gives you two replacements over the 2 years, so you could end up paying $400 for two out-of-warranty repairs, or $200 for AppleCare+ ($100 for AC+ and two $50 deductibles).

AppleCare+ also gives you an extra year's warranty (no deductible) and 2-years telephone support instead of 90 days. You need to factor those benefits into your decision as well.

8. SimplyBlue macrumors member

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Don't forget that deductible applies to accidental damage, not to normally warrantable stuff like a failed speaker, or home button or similar. See http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCarePlus.pdf

They have done this, unsure if it will continue, and there are limitations to it as well. See http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

10. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Agree, it's good to have for piece of mind. Just like auto insurance, health insurance etc.... you never know when you'll have to use it. It's cheap anyway, if you can afford the phone and monthly bill, you can easily afford the extra cost for Apple Care.

11. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Yes. It's $199 to give you a replacement phone if you opted not to buy AppleCare. In the end, you pay $51 more IF you break your phone. If you don't break it, and did buy AppleCare, you've spent $99 for nothing. So, it's really up to each person and how confident they feel with or without it. Personally, I'm fine without it. I'm very conscious of my phone, so I'm not worried about dropping it and breaking it, or getting it wet. I rather just pay the $199 if something did happen. And since I always upgrade every year, I'm not worried about extending the original warranty for another 12 months.

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Only if you opt to purchase Applecare+ on the replacement.

"Under the program, customers needing to replace a damaged iPhone would be given a $50 discount on Apple's standard $199 replacement fee if they also purchase AppleCare+ for the replacement device, for a total cost of $249."

13. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

14. modit macrumors 6502

Not worth it. You can can take the extra $50 hit if you replacing out of warranty.

15. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Stopping in my local Apple store to get a verified answer today. They may not know, but I want to have proof of anything the local store says since that is where I will be purchasing AppleCare + from since I ordered from sprint.com and didn't add the option.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've asked this myself via e-mail and Apple added Apple Care + without answering the question. I figure I'll just keep it.

17. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

18. fjrabon macrumors regular

who knows whether or not the $200 replacement option will continue in the future. But at the very least, you can't take it 100% for granted as a guarantee as some in this thread seem to be doing. It was always sort of a courtesy thing that apple did for customers, at their discretion, mostly because the customer had no other options. Now that a customer could have bought coverage for such an issue, I think there is a pretty good chance that policy will cease or at least apply in substantially fewer cases.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The article says you don't have to purchase it with the phone but if you expect a replacement phone you will be charged $249, the cost of Apple Care + and the replacement phone with that $49 discount.

What I still don't get is if I don't get AC+ then can I just pay $199 for the replacement and never get AC+?

20. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

If you have a tendency to drop your phones from time to time or have kids that drop your phone then yes, I'd get it. Otherwise, no its a complete waste of money if you dont use it or need it.

21. MallCop macrumors 6502

Check with your home owners insurance because mine for $20 a year covers any portable electronics, iPhones, iPads, iPods, laptops, etc. with a $50 deductible. Covers theft, accidental damage, and more.

22. GoCubsGo, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm on the phone with a woman named Rosemary at 1800 My Apple. I asked:

If you do not buy Apple Care + and drop your phone, can you walk in and pay $199 for a new phone?

I then asked if you walked in to pay $199 for a new phone because I broke mine would I then be required to add AC+ making my total purchase $249 (considering they're allowing a $49 discount if you purchase AC+ with the $199 replacement)?

She is researching my questions and put me on hold. She is asking more specifically if the AC+ program just overrode the $199 replacement process that has been rather public (but perhaps not written & published policy).

Edit:
    I was just told that the $199 replacement will stand so. So if you need to do an out of warranty replacement it is $199. If you don't get Apple Care + then you still save $49.

Apple Care + sounds like a great idea if you a) plan on dropping your phone or dunking it in the water a lot b) have kids who may play with it and understand kids drop things and c) intend to take advantage of the program by "dropping" your phone, paying $49 for the service fee replacement then selling it "new" before the iPhone 5 comes out. ;)

I for one just cancelled my Apple Care + because I do things for peace of mind and figure if I do have one unfortunate mishap then $199 later will cover it. My risk that I'm willing to take.

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

24. Slowlo macrumors newbie

I suppose we're all arguing semantics to an extent, seeing as how we're dissecting an article written based on a conversation with a "source".

That said, I think the fact they referred to "Apple's standard $199 replacement fee" is a pretty significant indicator that nothing has changed in that regard. Had they replaced "standard" with 'old'/'previous'/'former'/etc I might feel differently, but as it stands, that seems pretty clear to me.

Edit: Looks like it's no longer speculation, both Jessica. and JRoDDz have provided confirmation that the $199 replacement stands. Cool. :)