Is Applecare+ worth purchasing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nelly001, Oct 13, 2011.

1. nelly001 macrumors newbie

I was wondering who is going to get Applecare + for their iphone 4S
    I would be interested in hearing the pros and cons from you all

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I personally don't think so as I always get the new iphone the day it's released. The iphone already comes with a 1 year warranty so you are covered for a whole year already which is how long I hold on to an iphone before I get the next one. I think the apple care extends the warranty to two years. The thing you get with apple care that I don't think you get with the regular warranty is accidental damage replacement. You basically pay a $49 fee and you get 2 accidental damages for $50 each. I put mine in a very sturdy case so it just depends on if you plan on keeping it for more than 1 year and whether you are clumsy and might damage it. With the regular 1 year warranty, it would cost you $200 to replace the iphone if you damage it accidentally.

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Please search the forums, as there have been many posts on this.

I say no for a 16 gb, maybe for 32, yes for 64. Really depends on how clumsy you are.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The non-warranty replacement price is the same ($199) regardless of capacity, so I don't think capacity should factor into the decision. Maybe if it covered lost/stolen phones, but not given the AC+ accidental damage coverage.

5. BiggAW macrumors 68020

So if you accidentally break a 64GB by, say, dropping it in the toilet, then they'll replace it for $200? That's a steal. Most regular phones would be full retail...

6. iomcamaross2010 macrumors member

anyone know if you can transfer the remaining time from your current apple care to the ac+ and pay the difference?

7. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

$99 + $49 replacement fee, as insurance against paying a $199 replacement fee? I think it's worth the risk to not buy AC+.

8. andyx3x macrumors 65816

This is my thinking as well.

9. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

Mine as well.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It's only worth it if you do hit the 2 accident limit, but then again, if you go over that, tack on the $199 again.

11. sddabrow macrumors 6502

If it was always a $200, I would say its not worth it to buy AC+.

After talking to multiple Apple reps, there are many ways that they won't uphold the $200 replacement fee. Sure if a screen gets cracked, it will be $200.. but if you have a more catastrophic failure, they may not be able to uphold the $200 replacement fee and will be full retail.

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

What could be more catastrophic? An iPhone that got pancaked by an ice cream truck. :eek:

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mine as well.

I just wanted to play, dude should do a simple search.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Mine as well.

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I will save that 100 dollars and use it on something else. I have dropped my iPhone 4 only 1-2 times in a year. I will just get a case and call it a day.

Spend that 100 dollars on something else. I am eyeing my eyes on kindle Fire for 199 dollars.

16. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I've got on of those one order... I am really excited to get to play with it!

17. nelly001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies

I am buying a 64gb iphone 4s and not really into cases, all I have ever used is the sena leather ultra slim case and use the phone bare. I have had my 1st generation iphone without a case since the first release day in Summer 2007 and it has worked non stop but looking forward to my upgrade.
    However I do like the accident protection with applecare + and it looks like apple are not going to be generous like the past if you don't have it.
    Also I just signed a new contract with ATT so I guess I will be keeping the phone for at least 2 years and I am not one of those people who jump at every upgrade.
    So I guess when my phone arrives by fedex tomorrow I will be calling apple to give away some more cash for security.
    Another question though for people who buy every phone upgrade don't you get a big penalty from your carrier or do you just pay full price for the phone
    thanks again

18. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Best get used to using straps 'cause this thing ain't a pillow.

[​IMG]

19. Walter Bell macrumors regular

I usually never buy warranties but I did decide to purchase AC+ this time around. I bought a white iPhone and I really do not want to keep it in a case. I have always kept my phone in an Otterbox Defender, as I drop it a ton. This time around I am going without a case knowing that I have 2 replacements to burn through before I should start being careful and maybe pick up a case.

However, ever since taking off my current otterbox and going naked with my iPhone 4, I have yet to drop the phone. My only complaint with the phone is the fact that it is super slippery without any type of back. I might pick up a bumper or something.

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm wondering if I should just buy AC+ now as my "case." I plan on buying a LV case for $290, but should I just buy AC as my case?

22. nelly001 thread starter macrumors newbie

case for iphone

"rockyroad55 I'm wondering if I should just buy AC+ now as my "case." I plan on buying a LV case for $290, but should I just buy AC as my case?"

$290 case sounds like overkill and a waste of money to me.
    If you like using your phone bare and just want protection when carrying it get the ultra slim case by sena a leather wallet sleeve that looks stylish and is only $29 or if you still want an exclusive case Vaja has custom ones to order for around $70
    I still think get the applecare + and only after you have been through 2 drops think about more protection

23. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I don't think it is; with the 50 per break, that's 150 after the first drop and crack or whatever.

How much is it to repair the phone entirely? I used to drop my phones but, being older, I'm going to take much better care of it this time around. A nice case is all I need.

24. protobiont macrumors 6502a

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the most likely form of damage is the screen or back cracking after a drop or some accidental impact.

If the back breaks, you can replace it yourself for about $30 max.
    If the screen breaks it costs about $80 for a 3rd party place to fix it (does Apple charge $200?)

This will be my 3rd iPhone and I've never damaged my first two. If I had bought Apple care+ (had it existed) for all three I'd be out $300 so far. I figure if something happens to this one, I've got $300 in credit saved up.

All that said, I think it really depends on how you are with phones, and how long you typically keep them.

Now where the heck is the UPS guy!??

25. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I've been vacillating back and forth and think I will pass on it.