Carrier Is AT&T Really That Expensive

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bengalhawks, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Bengalhawks macrumors newbie

So im switching from T-mobile once the iPhone 6 is released because the service for T-mobile in my area sucks big time. I enjoy the price of course being $130 a month for unlimited everything, but if you can't use your phone then what's it matter if its cheap or not. So I was researching how much I could expect to pay with AT&T and I came up with a monthly bill of $250 with $120 being added on for the first bill for activation. Is that right for 3 lines? I figured it would be more but double thats crazy. I selected the 10gb plan with unlimited talk & text and then the $9.99 insurance for each phone. So for those with At&t does that sound right for 3 lines or did I mess up somewhere when figuring the monthly bill?

2. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I think you messed up. I think for the 3 line plan and 10gig it should be around $150 a month or a little less total after taxes and before insurance.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Look at AIO/Cricket. ATT Network, TMobile pricing. You just lose tethering.

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

$250 / month sounds like way too much. I used to have a family plan with 2 lines and insurance, and was paying no more than $160 with taxes and fees.

5. Bengalhawks thread starter macrumors newbie

See thats what I thought. I did the online 10 gb plan and it was 140 for the one phone, then it was charging 40 per additional line I added, then when you figured the 30 for insurance it was 250. I didnt think that was right with them charging 40 more per additional line but I wasnt sure if they increased pricing or what.

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yeah try starting from the beginning. For 2 devices and 10 GB shared you should be at like 150-160. Maybe lower.

I actually looked going the other way (from ATT to T-mobile). It would have taken our bill down $20/month and we'd have to pay full price for our phones. ATT didn't seem so bad after that.

7. ricktat macrumors 65816

The 10 GB plan with $15 for adding phones is only good if you bring your own phone, pay retail, or do NEXT. If you do the $199 2 year plan then each phone adds $40 instead of $15.

For all of us here with ATT before 1/2014 they grandfathered us into the new program at $15 per phone. But if we upgrade without NEXT it will be the same $40 per phone. So they are now forcing us to do NEXT or retail since $25 per month for 2 years plus $199 plus $40 activation costs more than retail or NEXT.

Also, the $6.99 insurance gives you everything you will need. The $9.99 plan only gives you things that iCloud and Find my Iphone already do.

8. Bengalhawks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that. Im not crazy they are that expensive now without next or buying your phone out right. Also great info on the insurance. Looks like im buying phones then cause im not sure I wanna turn them back in every two years but again thou id probably just sell them anyways. I guess I need to figure out the benefit of reselling on my own over the next plan. Thanks again

9. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Ok that explains a lot. I forgot the grandfathering. So what should OP be paying? Sounds like OP is bringing own devices.

10. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have my mom under my AT&T plan, and I recently converted us to the Family Value Share Plan. We pay $120/month (down from paying $160/month). However, we are not making installment payment to our phone's. I paid full price for my 5s and my mom got her 4 prior to me converting us to the Family Value Share Plan.

So no, I do not think AT&T is expensive at all. Considering the coverage we get and that each line is $60 for unlimited talk and text and 10GB of data to share.

11. aneftp macrumors 601

Look into your employer or your mom's employer whether you qualify for any business discounts with ATT.

T-mobile got rid of almost all business discounts except for government discounts in April 2014 I believe.

We get 24% ATT discount.

12. Bengalhawks thread starter macrumors newbie

I do work for the government so that might help. Im still getting like $238 even with the Next plan thou .

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

How did it work with T-Mobile? For $130/month, did that include the price of the hardware of the three phones?

14. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

This is what I see when I try to setup a new family plan on T-Mobile with 3 lines of service (doing unlimited everything + new iPhones). I didn't include the insurance because their website was being slow.

$80 = Unlimited Talk and Text, for all three lines

$30 = Unlimited data for line 1
    $27 = Cost of iPhone for line 1

$30 = Unlimited data for line 2
    $27 = Cost of iPhone for line 2

$30 = Unlimited data for line 3
    $27 = Cost of iPhone for line 3
    $10 = Add-a-line fee for line 3 (required for every line after the first two)
    ------------
    $261/month

16. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

Because they're less expensive. Not. LOL

18. Bengalhawks thread starter macrumors newbie

Heres what I pay at T Mobile . First off I should say I only have 2 lines now and when I got them I paid $200 for each. But heres my plan

Unlimited Talk & Text-$90
    Data for each line-$15 x2
    Insurance and some Fee-$9.60 x2

So we got 139.20 and theres some additional taxes which brings me $147 then I have a discount of $17 that gets me to the 130 amount.

----------

Ive thought about that as well lol but theres people at my wifes work who have issues with their data not working and shes freaked out she might have to work rather then watch netflix hahaha. Where the At&t people have no issue and even T-Mobile works.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If I ever leave AT&T, I would go to Verizon. Had too much problems with T-Mo. Even though they say I should have excellet reception according to their maps, I hate having to go outside to make a call or get email.:rolleyes:

I trasvel all over and AT&T covers it all for me. I do nto even have to worry about it! May not be cheaper that T-Mo but I would pay more for AT&T

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you paid $200 for each of your current iPhones, it sounds like you're on an old T-Mobile subsidized plan.

AFAIK, T-Mobile doesn't do the subsidized plans anymore, so if you stay with T-Mobile when the iPhone 6 comes out, you're looking at switching to one of their newer plans, where the cost of the iPhone 6 (say $649 for a 16GB model) is divided up 24 monthly payments, and added to your monthly bill. If you have 3 iPhones, that'd be $81 added to your monthly T-Mobile bill to pay for the new phones.

AT&T and Verizon offer both the subsidized plans, as well as the T-Mobile "pay monthly" plans (which AT&T calls Next, and Verizon called Edge).

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Well figure that $238 is factoring in the $90+ a month for the three devices. if they are 16GB iPhones 5S's then thats $32.50 a month each, which is $97.50. Therefore the service is only $140.

22. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

well my plan is cheeper..and it works here too

23. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I'm on AT&T family plan (4 people) and with the service I get, I'd say it's worth the ~$160.

24. drober30 macrumors 6502a

The problem is they are all to expensive!

I have been happy with my AT&T service since 2007.

The Internet is almost a necessity nowadays and a smart phone is starting to control everything.

I pay AT&T $180+ for three phones. 2iPhones with grandfathered unlimited data and my daughter is still limited to 200MB.

$180 a month for cell phones is just unreasonable. IMHO I think $90 - $100 would be more inline.

It would be very very difficult to give up my smart phone.

25. eish2306 macrumors regular

eish2306

Wow you guys pay so much - I get 5000 texts 2000min and unlimited 4g with tethering for £15 including taxes :0 - ok that doesn't include phone but wow the American networks really do a number on you guys!