Is ATV4 background color uniform?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by radiologyman, Nov 4, 2015.

1. radiologyman macrumors 6502

I got AppleTV 4 and on a whitish background that ATV4 has I see faint vertical yellowish bands. I am afraid it's non uniformity of my TV but I thought I will ask. Thanks!

2. tlaw81 macrumors member

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have noticed on my plasma that it's not a perfectly uniform white - and I saw the above thread when it was posted - but I really think this is how the background is intended to look. My TV otherwise has no problem reproducing a uniform white picture.

4. tlaw81 macrumors member

Hmmm, not sure. It's good to know that you also see the same things, but it's hard for me to imagine that Apple wouldn't have a uniform color.

5. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I don't see any problems with my OLED tv otherwise, only awful look on ATV4 home screen. Hope Apple will give us a dark theme as an option.

6. DesertDog macrumors member

I'd like to see a dark theme too. I don't have the banding mentioned here but I do get some power supply (I think) buzzing from my plasma when it's on the white background. As soon as I go to any other color it gets quiet. So I'd love it.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

One wonders why there are time sensitive screen savers but the entire interface theme doesn't also automatically have a "night mode".

8. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

I thought my TV was on the fritz when I noticed weird coloured patches on the screen. Then I realised that the ATV4 simply blurs the screen "underneath", or the movie cover image, by a lot.

9. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

If you go into the Settings > General > Accessibility > Increase Contrast. You can switch Reduce Transparency to On.

It's not a dark theme, but it does at least give you a more solid background colour instead on the default option.

10. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

Quoted for truth.
    Before you toss your expensive TVs, it's just underneath picture thats blurred, I think it will be fixed later as it's either blurred too much and should be reduced, or give us a solid color.

11. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Same here. Received the ATV4 last night and noticed the same thing and for a second thought OLED here I come. By the way, I own a Plasma.

12. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

That's the look Apple goes for these days though, iOS and OS X are littered with blurring effects, unless you turn them off of course.

13. nperei macrumors member

I really like black solid background like ATV3 it is so much easy on your eyes. can be difflicult for some people who have glare blind. Which they add option to change background whitish-gray to black or whatever other user like.

14. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

I do experience these issues on oled. I came from plasma and oled is simply in the league of its own. That said, if you can wait couple more months till LG iron out small issues and bring prices down...

15. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

You can't just go from plasma to OLED, you have to work your way up through LCD :D