Is Best Buy good at applying Invisible Shield/etc.???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jobsfnby, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jobsfnby macrumors regular

Exactly what the title is...Is Best Buy good for applying Invisible shield or other products simmilar to this? I know the iPhone has water sensors in almost every port and i want to make sure they don't turn orange and activate.

When they apply the shield for you do you get to watch or do they do it in a back room somewhere?

Has anyone gotten this done and how has it turned out?

Would you recommend getting the shield put on by Best Buy employees or DIY?

I've never had any experience with the protectors that need water or some sort of liquid to be applied. I have put on some cheap screen protectors on my old 3GS and they worked great but i can't seem to find any protectors that cover both the front and back of the phone (sides would be nice too) that don't need liquid to adhere to the phone.

If anyone knows of a phone protector that covers both the front and back of the phone and can be applied without spray it would be extremely helpful. If there are any that include side protection too that would help.

ive searched and i couldn't find any threads to answer this.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I saw a YouTube video where a guy had his iPhone ruined because BB sprayed the crap out of it and got it soaking. InvisibleShield instructions are to spray the PROTECTOR, not the iPhone, but it sounds like BB gets it super wet spraying the phone directly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0sF1DKcNd8

3. jobsfnby thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Definitely won't be getting their installation!

Does anyone know of any screen protectors that come with a back protection and don't require any sort of liquid to be applied?

4. kr00k322 macrumors 6502

It worked fine for me the girl sprayed a small amount on my phone as well as the film. She was on her 50th install so that may have been a little more to my benefit. Best bet is to watch while they install it.

I believe there is a dry version of the Invisishield as well I haven't tried it myself since I suck at putting them on but I've heard of a few people that like them.

5. iPadztr macrumors 6502

Please, do yourself a favor, dont go to best buy to have them apply the invisible shield. Half of them dont know anything about invisible shield and will lay your phone to the table w/out any paddings and they'll end up scratching the back of your phone. OR ruin your ear speaker...

6. jtara macrumors 65816

Do it yourself. And don't get InvisibleShield. Or, at least, don't apply the stupid little skinny strips on the edges. (Antenna Issue or no Antenna Issue.) The little side strips just get yucky.

This is the easiest protector install yet, because the front and back are both flat.

I had one installed at the mall, just because the kiosk was right in front of the Apple Store and that way there was no chance of acquiring scratches. Cost too much, and there is dust under the back one, but I assume they will replace it for me when I get back to the mall and show them.

I think Power Support will be a better choice. but it's not available yet. It's the "dry" adhesive, and really easy to apply. (I've done it on my iPhone). You peel back slightly, position at one end, then peel back the rest and just let it drop. It's quite rigid, so no bubble issues.

Go in the bathroom, lay a towel down on the counter for protection. Lay the phone on the towel. Turn the shower on "hot" and let it run for a few minutes with the door closed and fan off, which will knock-down the dust in the air. Blow off any dust with canned air, then clean throughly with a micro-fibre chamois. You can achieve perfection. :)

7. jobsfnby thread starter macrumors regular

Does the power support film cover the front and back of the iPhone?

8. batman75 macrumors 6502a

It varies a lot. I tried this with my 3GS and they did a lousy job. Got my money back after 3 botched attempts. Plus they use a lot of water - seems risky.

I did my own for the back of my iphone4 using the SGP incredible shield kit, and my one is flawless. It's not that hard.

9. myjay610 macrumors regular

Guy at BB did mine, went fine. He wet the iPhone but just a little.

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I've had good experience with them applying it.

11. rookie1082 macrumors regular

MY GOD just do it yourself you pansy.

If my 6 year old nephew can do it, so can you.

12. jobsfnby thread starter macrumors regular

Are the ghost armor kiosks at malls any good at installing the protectors?

13. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

LOL....qft

14. Arcanezxz macrumors newbie

I had mine done at BB and she did an awesome job in about 2 minutes. She only sprayed the shield, not the phone. I think their trick is that they have a much better shapped squigy than what comes in the package.

15. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I've installed several of these shields. It was easier to install on the iPod Touch because all of the openings are at the bottom, so all you had to do was squeegee the water out the sides or the top of the device.

I have the front and back of my iPhone 4 perfectly covered with the IS, and it looks great. I made sure to only spray the film, and just a couple of sprays is all you need to cover the entire film - anything more and you're overdoing it. I ruined an iPod Touch by soaking the film and causing water damage. Then, I squeegeed all of the water towards the sides of the phone. I also put a napkin or paper towel right at the edge of the film as I pushed the water out - that way, as the water escaped the film, it was immediately soaked up by the napkin and didn't run down the sides and potentially get into any of the openings.

If you're still squeamish about using screen protectors that require liquid, just keep your phone in some kind of soft pouch or something until the latter half of July, when Power Support will start shipping their Crystal Film protectors. Those things are pure gold and don't require liquid. I had one on my 1st gen iPod nano, and it still looks fantastic.

16. eo6564 macrumors member

eo6564

I installed IS on my iPhone last night all under 30 minutes. I sprayed the plastic itself, as stated in the IS directions, and kept my fingers wet. I then used a hair dryer after using the squeegee to get the air bubbles out. It looks like perfection today. yay!! :)

17. TW!SM macrumors regular

I had mine done at a IS kiosk. I was out of town and didn't want to wait until I got home to do it. I have done many and am usually the one my friends come to when they need it done. But I didn't want to wait. The guy there was already doing iPhone 4 installs and I checked one out after it was done and he did a great job so I let him do mine.

Turned out great and took him just a few minutes, but if you do it all day everyday im sure it becomes very easy.

18. maryannee macrumors regular

I took my 3G to BB to have this shield put on. They told me what it would cost and I said okay, go ahead. When he started spraying my brand new iPhone, I almost freaked out.:eek: I even said something to him but he assured me that it was fine. The iPhone is still fine today, but the shield looks like crap on it. He did not charge me for the installation however. :rolleyes:

The shield was just too thick for my liking. It had a few bubbles in it but I just left it on since I paid for it. Some cases would not fit correctly with the thickness of the shield. Now it is just sitting in my closet since June 09. I now have the 3GS and am waiting for the white iphone 4.

Apple put one of their screen protectors on my 3GS and I like it.

19. ElZeus macrumors regular

Had a great experience with a shield they put on the Droid Incredible when I tried it out, he did spray the phone though.

20. oakland6980 macrumors member

oakland6980

21. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

22. southparksteve macrumors member

Yes, but it is really easy to apply yourself. The trick is to be generous with the amount of solution you apply to BOTH the phone screen and the protective screen. It has to be enough to allow you to slide the protective screen around to line it up properly, then squeegee it all out, and presto.

23. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

It all depends who you get. It's impossible to say Best Buy does it well or not, some probably do it awesome some probably suck ass.

Do it yourself! You will take the most time and patience on your own device. I've installed close to 30 of these skins, it's easy with patience and prep.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=957983