Is Charity.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by woodsea, Oct 26, 2007.

1. woodsea macrumors member

Just received my copy of Forbes 400.
    I am a fan of both Microsoft and Apple, but have lost some respect for Steve.
    Bill seems a bit more philanthropic, Ok, a hell of lot more generous. I am not talking about the $200 that Steve reimbursed braggarts for jumping on a new technology. By the way I am a braggart, just not on the iphone, couldn't use it where I live.
    Steve has given zilch, while Bill and Melinda have even roped the second richest man in the world to give his billions away as well.
    Over 30 Billion US bucks have been gladly given away by the Medina couple.

What the hell is Apple doing? I am perplexed.
    Is Charity a bad thing? I agree with more than a few of you that welfare is flawed.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I suspect that SJ does his bit. Some people just don't like to talk about it.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I do believe Apple & Jobs 'do' charity, although it's more of the high-profile, media-orientated and ultimately less effective variety.

You can't expect people to suddenly change after all.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think if you really got to know his Steve-ness personally, and over a long period of time, you'd be really disappointed. ;)

Fom a consumer's point of view, Steve's personality is separate from the product I want to buy. As long as I'm not supporting a killer, or someone who does truly morbid, immoral things, then I don't care. After all, you can't like everybody....

5. 173080 macrumors 6502

No. But not giving to charity doesn't make someone a bad person either.

There's nothing wrong with not giving to charity. It's not an obligation of the wealthy, contrary to what some people would like to believe.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I can't find it, but there was an article about the "giving" Bill Gates. It stated that the money he donates to worthy causes is like someone who makes $40,000 a year giving away a few hundred or so. So while I think his money he donates is helping many causes- it isn't anything but pocket change to him really.

7. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Also, any list of charitable contributors would only include those charitable contributors that told anyone about it.

I am not so sure that the Steve actually does contribute to charities, but if he did... and just didn't tell anyone about it, he wouldn't be on that, or any other list.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Gates was the richest man in the world, and like many richest men in world history (carnegie as the most notable) he now has more money than he knows what to do with and is therefore giving it away. Perhaps SJ will donate tons of money in the future. Perhaps he simply doesn't have more money than he knows what to do with yet.

9. woodsea thread starter macrumors member

Addendum to original Thread

You people are calling someone that gives over 40% of his net worth nothing? He has already promised to give all his money away, 'only' giving a million to each kid.
    Here is another boner by the Jobs team-
    Apple Response to 3rd Grader’s Letter: Get Lost!

Third grader Shea O’Gorman loves her iPod Nano, so when her class started learning about writing a letter, she decided to write Steve Jobs. In her letter, Shea wrote about her ideas to improve the gadget.

Three months later, she heard back … from the big meanies at Apple’s legal department telling her to shove off!

That’s right, apple’s legal department, telling a nine year old that apple does not accept unsolicited ideas. Apple’s legal department told her not send them her suggestions, and if she wants to know why, she could read their legal policy on the Internet.

"We were stunned, we just were stunned, is the best word to say. It just wasn’t the appropriate type letter to send to a third grader who had the initiative to write to them," said Shea’s mom.

"It kind of seemed like they were saying well we don’t want your idea like it’s not good or anything," said Shea.

And her mom thinks it’s even worse coming from apple. "They are a company who tries to promote itself as an educator of children. That was really, it was unacceptable. They know better than that," said Shea’s mom.

CBS13 has the story: http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_104012157.html(with video) - via reddit

PS-No way that Jobs has donated any real amount of money without Forbes finding out. IRS needs to know where everything over 10k goes. He is just an ass!
    Oh, and my MBP which I dearly love could fry my non-functioning testicles if I were to lay it on my lap. When I get back to the states it is going straight to the nearest apple store, so they can get rid of the extra paste they slopped onto the components :mad:

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Jobs can donate huge sums of money anonamously. I have a feeling he probably give cancer charities bundles of cash. But being a pretty private person he doesn't feel the need to blow his own trumpet like Gates does.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Get yourself the book, "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs". Steve Jobs is no saint and he's pretty stubborn and high minded.

But that's what makes Apple computers how they are.

12. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Considering that Steve Job's net worth is 1/10 of Bill Gates, I can understand why Mr. Gate's contributions and donations would be more visible and would receive more attention.

Steve Jobs isn't high on the "net worth" list of Americans, so people probably don't pay as much attention to what he does. I'd bet that many people, outside of Apple aficionados, don't even know who Steve Jobs is. I'm pretty sure most Americans (or at least a majority of computer users) know who Bill Gates is.

13. Queso macrumors G4

Who cares really? None of these people are our friends or acquaintances. We don't actually know any of them or what motivates them. Just let them be and worry more about what you can do.

14. woodsea thread starter macrumors member

This is what I can do! I can't vote them out of office, I do vote. So I inform the people of moral practices. If a company cannot take advice without blasting an 8 yr old, or a billionaire cannot give like all his brethren then that tells us something of their character.
    Before Carnegie and Rockefeller the rich did nothing for the peasants, us that is. Now it is understood in this modern American age that the rich give because our government gives but only when it is to late or to little.
    I don't see the richest man in the world, the Mexican phone giant giving any money away. He actually looks down on Bill and Melanie. Hows that for humanity!!

15. bartelby macrumors Core

If the people have earned their money, let them do what they want with it. Why stress about things you can't change?

Live your own life, not someone else's.

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

What people do with their money is their business. Yes I admire Bill Gates and think his foundation is fantastic. But I wouldn't think any less of him if he didn't.

If Steve Jobs gives bucket loads of money to charity then fine, if he doesn't that is also fine.

Wonder how much money those moaning about it give to charity...

Oh and for the record, I don't give on a regular basis.

17. woodsea thread starter macrumors member

Stress? no stress. I live my life without pause.
    But, consider this, if you had a choice to walk an old lady across a busy street or hurry past her to beat the person going into corner starbucks what would you do?
    It ain't difficult giving money that you will never ever ever be able to spend on personal consumption. Let's face it, even just 1000 million greenbacks is damned hard to spend. Steve has almost 6000 million.
    The average american gives away 2%

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree. My personal feelings for Gates and Jobs have no impact one way or another on what I think about their products.

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

At least 10%.

The real question is how much was Bill donating to charity before Melinda came along.

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I care, probably because if SJ was more of a philanthropist, you lot would be even more insufferable in your Jobs worship :p

22. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's commendable. My question was more an inquiry in whether or not the OP was calling the kettle black...

23. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

24. woodsea thread starter macrumors member

I have donated my whole life. I met my wife volunteering at Bailey-Boushey in Seattle. We were their until we moved. Now, we donate about 5%, partly write-offs. We have been living in 3rd world countries for the past few years.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Go to Dell. :p