Is Chrome better than Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SXR, Jun 16, 2011.

1. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Hey guys,

I was looking for your opinion on the following. What is your browser of choice and why? I am a die hard Safari user, but I am recently checking out Chrome on one of my Macs. It seems like an amazing browser, its really clean and very fast.

What do you think ? What browser do you use?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I, personally, prefer Chrome. It is quick, and is nicely integrated with Google's services. It has a simple, clean interface. It has built in Flash and PDF viewer. Most importantly, it has an excellent syncing feature that syncs all the preferences, bookmarks, passwords etc... to the cloud so no matter which computer you use; BOOM - it's all there. :D

Safari is great too. After Chrome, it is the cleanest, snappiest browser.

4. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Chrome. Super fast, very customizable and handles Flash well, which you can actually disable in case you don't want to display it.

Also frees up some important RAM.

5. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I use Safari most of the time. I have Chrome installed, but I only use it when I want to view Flash, since I removed the plug-in otherwise. Chrome's not bad, but I haven't found it compelling enough for it to become my default browser. I am accustomed to Safari and it performs well, so there's not much impetus to switch.

6. nicky0 macrumors member

I'm a Chrome man myself. So fast, and I love the combined search/address bar.

By the way, breakdown of visitors to my Mac-centric websites are approximately:
    48% Safari
    25% Chrome
    25% Firefox
    2% Other

7. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i like chrome, but i'm quite used to safari so switching is not something i wanna do.

8. hkbladelawkhk macrumors member

depends

IMO, Safari is more stable and has a better way of rendering certain pages.

LogMeIn for example, looks like it's running on Windows 95 when opened in Chrome, but works fine in Safari. Netflix seems to size better in Safari. And Gallery remote doesn't work properly when used in Chrome (or FF4 for that matter).

I feel like Chrome isn't as well put together in some instances.

9. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

This is what I thought at first , as well. But Im writing this reply in Chrome and im liking it more and more.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. A lof of Chrome users here!

Most people visiting my blog KeepThatApp.com are still using Internet Explorer, what the heck?

10. waynep macrumors 6502

I came from the PC world in January, buying my first Mac. I was a diehard Firefox user. On my Mac I installed Firefox, Chrome and of course had Safari. I used FF for a while then went to Chrome. All three are fast enough for me. I don't care about the claimed speed differences that amount to mili-seconds. What I found is that Netflix would not work correctly in FF or Chrome. Neither would handle going to full screen mode. Safari does. Also I had issues setting Logmein to full screen in the other two, but not Safari. Those things are what pushed me to use Safari full time now.

11. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Chrome seems slightly faster. I use it most of the time now.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they both have their pros and cons, but i prefer safari because of the keyboard shortcuts.

13. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Im about 50/50 Chrome/Safari.

Only because of habit though, Safari crashes way too much, Chrome almost never does. For every time Chrome crashes Safari crashes 50.

Plus the integrated address search bar has become something I absolutely love.

14. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

do they exist, adblocker or autopagerize extensions for chrome?

15. bailorg macrumors member

bailorg

1. Chrome, 2. Firefox, 3. Safari

I switched from PC to Mac in April 2009. I was a pretty much exclusively a Firefox user on the PC. I also generally prefer always operating in a tabbed browsing environment (I have about 10 tabs open as I type this). I also tend to use a number of extensions.

I found Safari far too window-oriented rather than tab-oriented for my tastes. The relative lack of extensions for Safari also makes it less attractive in my eyes. Generally, I now only use Safari to watch Quicktime embedded web videos (generally on Apple's own website), since only Safari seems able to play embedded QT videos full-screen.

Firefox, while a much more customizable browser, especially in terms of what extensions allow it to do, is quite the memory hog.

Chrome, on the other hand, is almost as customizable as Firefox, but is just far more efficient and attractive, especially in it's newest versions.

16. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I don't like Chrome because I really don't like/trust google. I use Firefox because I use both Windows and OSX and like the fact that its the same/similar on both, which makes it better *for me*.

The "for me" is the rub - at the end of the day, which browser you use and which is "better" is a totally subjective judgement. Use which one you like and do so in good health.

17. sally456 macrumors member

I use Safari more, it's stable on my Mac so far.
    But I think Chrome is not bad too.
    IMO, This maye depends on different people's use habits.

18. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Chrome is a very good browser, but you should think if you really trust Google..I can't say that I do, so I am using Safari. I still believe that Chrome is the better browser of the two, but with Safari 5.1 on Lion I believe that Appe has the best browser out there. The new multitouch gestures, the double tap to zoom in gesture especially and the speed of the new version make Safari 5.1 the best browser out there.

19. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

I would absolutely love to test out the gestures and maybe move back to Safari full time , but I am really liking the clean look and feel of Chrome.

20. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I have to say that after the past few weeks testing Lion, I love me some Safari.

I do, however, miss the hell out of Chrome though.

Could they have a baby? Please?

21. benpatient macrumors 68000

The only thing I miss from Safari after switching to Chrome about a year ago is the way Safari does Top Sites. There is an extension I have on Chrome that basically does the same thing, but it doesn't update the previews every day, so it loses some small functionality.

However, the general browsing experience with Chrome is much better. The most obvious improvement over Safari in day-to-day use is the instant search results in the address bar, and the way that the address bar and search are merged into one interface.

There is really no benefit to having them be separated. When I use my wife's computer, she usually has Safari open, and so I will not think about it, and just start typing a search term into the address bar, expecting some insta-results. If I know what I'm typing is the first result, I'll even hit "return" before I look and notice there are no search results yet, and instead of getting what I wanted, I'll get a website called "http://why%20chrome%20is%20better%20than%20safari.com" and it cannot be found.

You can never go back.

22. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I love Reader mode in Safari. Chrome has some extensions that do the same thing, but it doesn't work as well as on Safari.

23. KirkL macrumors 6502

In Speed and Stability? Absolutely. I also like how the Address bar and Search bar are integrated in Chrome. But Safari's Reader Mode is pretty amazing as well. I usually do all my browsing in Chrome and then drag and drop articles onto the Safari icon in my dock whenever I feel like I need to use Reader Mode.

24. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I went back after using Chrome for a couple of years. :)

25. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I don't really like Chrome. Between its oversimplification, nearly nil customization abilities, and unecessarily large "my first browser" toolbar elements, it really just doesn't suit me. The combined address bar/search field irks me as well.

As for what I use, if I'm not using my own work-in-progress custom webkit browser, I'm probably using Safari.