Is College Really As Fun As It Looks?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by conch575, Jul 26, 2009.

1. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

In shows like Greek and teen movies, College always looks very fun and I feel like I'm missing out going to an Australian University. Is it really as cool as it seems on TV?

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Yes, best four years of my life. Thinking about going back. Graduated in May. Of course I did go to a school that is usually in the top 3 "party schools."

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

It depends on a WHOLE lotta factors. Factors include, what type of school you go to, how hard your major is, how well you hope to do in school, how outgoing you tend to be, etc.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

College was the 2 best years of my life. University was the worst 3 years of my life (but worth it).

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

my son is enjoying it, at our expense, but I know he is busting his ass in keeping up with the course load.

he is 19, living in Brookline MA, in his own apartment, right near Boston University, and best of all, in his mind, on our money.

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Hmm, but, how isn't it your money?

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Yes it is, universally. Going to school outside the US doesn't mean it gets any less enjoyable.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Our money - parents perspective

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If you've got no luck with sex at an australian uni it isn't going to be different in the US. Which is what I think you're really asking ;)!

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't ask me, I don't remember a thing about it.

11. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

It all depends on your mindset going in. It's only going to be that way if you take the initiative. Besides that, I don't think you're well-informed if you think the Greek fraternity experience is the best you can get out of university. You are, first and foremost, a student. Contribute to your campus, join student clubs, meet a sh*tload of different types of people, and you'll be a better person for it. And of course, you'll still have time to drink your ass off. :) Universally, almost everyone loves to party. So don't restrict yourself to one group of people. Frats and sororities are not the be-all and end-all.

And as for Australian universities, how would they be any different? They've got all the same mixes of people. Consider yourself lucky, because I've always wanted to visit. The nightlife in Melbourne/Sydney seems fantastic.

12. Ripcurlsurfin96 macrumors member

Its a blast!! I also went to a top 5 "party school." However, my department was also ranked top 5 in the nation also. It is definitely a lot of work but great 4 years~!!

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

All that I remember is flying around in the minigunner seat of a Blackhawk and being called a cheater because I could pick people off of boats on the water. :rolleyes:

Oh and it was the first time I saw a DirectX 9 shadow on the water.

I also managed to work 30-40 a week too. I had so much money. ;_;

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I came here to say this. :) Of course, this is what caused my terrible GPA.

I took a lot longer than normal, due to changing majors and dropping out a couple of times. I would usually then remember that being in school was much better than being in the real world, and go back.

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I hate university, but that's 'cause I'm doing for an undergrad what most people do as a postgrad so my workload and contact hours are a joke.

If I was doing a normal, non hellish course, it would be fantastic (as it was for the first 3 months, when I didn't give a ****)

On the bright side, as a compulsory part of my course I'm about to go study abroad for a year - this is the completely awesome side of my course :D

16. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Is it as the media portrays...not really (atleast that wasn't the case at my school). It is fun tho, mainly because you get to meet/hang out w/ a lot of new people. I loved the diversity I found at college (ethnic and mindset), but as cleanup said, you gotta get involved around campus to really get a good experience.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

hell yes

that's why i'm staying for a 5th year. :D

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Do this (if you go to college that is). I stayed at home during my time at university, which was already far away. I didn't go out with any of my course mates and I only attended for the education side of things. But my girlfriend lived just around the corner from her campus. She took up archery, climbing, karate, made loads of friends and generally had a brill time.
    So if you do go make sure you throw yourself into the thick of it.

19. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

If you don't have a good time, you're not doing it right. Go Greek if you'd like, but it's certainly not necessary to have the best years of your life. :D

And you can still have fun, even with a hard courseload. Time management is key.

20. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

University is quite boring and rather sophomoric. That, of course, may have something to do with the fact that I'm 20 years older than the "average student" (going back to school).

21. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I was not (am not) the partying kinda guy.

For me college was when I really grew up. Being independent, be responsible for my own direction in life, etc, made it a great time. I had good friends and silly fun times.

So it was fun for me. :eek:

I have friends who were depressed, dropped out, screwed up, etc. and I don't believe they felt it was as much fun. :(

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

college was the best time i had

football games

classes

friends

weekends

parties

ton of people your age

now that im not in college, i miss it dearly

23. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

And studying?

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

25. the vj macrumors 6502a

What I liked the most was that I was able to do what ever I wanted, I had a car, I could go anywahre, I was totally uncharged of everything. I was always running out of money but I had for what I needed.

Is nothing like in the movies, those stereotipes are what people wish college was, but there was a few times things got crazy, specially because we were all kids with no parents and resources.