Is dragging to quickly jump to a folder gone?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mamouneyya, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mamouneyya macrumors member

Hi,

Before, it was possibile to navigate to a folder in open/save Finder dialog by dragging that folder into the dialog. A green plus sign was appearing beside the mouse pointer. This doesn't work anymore in Lion.. is it me or it was really removed from Lion?

I miss it a lot!

2. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Seems to work for me - it doesn't show the green plus sign anymore, but dragging a folder from Finder onto the save dialog in Safari did jump the dialog to that folder.

3. mamouneyya thread starter macrumors member

Oh, you're right! It didn't work for me the first time I tried it though! :confused:

4. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Lol, I kind of wouldn't be surprised if it worked intermittently given that Lion seems to have its share of bugs. But yeah, it's strange they'd remove a visual cue that something will happen when you drag a folder to a save dialog.

5. mamouneyya thread starter macrumors member

Maybe they found it inconsistant with the UI, since that plus sign usually indicates of 'copying' things.. but they could have created a different indicator at least.

6. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Wow this thread really scared me. I use this constantly, multiple times every day

7. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

It doesn't work at all for me, the file/folder just bounces back.

8. mamouneyya thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, as sine-nomine suggested, it seems somehow buggy at the moment.. sometimes it doesn't work for me also. It's weird though, since it is NOT a new feature that was implemented in Lion. It has been there for long time.

9. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I've recently started using Default Folder X, so I'll be ready when I upgrade to Lion in case I have problems with the "drag to jump"

10. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

It worked for me the first time but the plus sign is indeed gone. However recently, the feature has stopped working. Bummer.

11. rorschach, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Ok so...I figured out how to make it work.

You have to drag the file/folder to the Recent Folders menu (to the left of the search field) OR in the empty space at the bottom of the window where the Choose/Cancel buttons are…just NOT to the main file browser area.

[​IMG]

12. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Thanks. Also, it seems now that the feature won't work if the app can't open that file. I tried dragging a Pages file into the open dialog of Safari and nothing happened, but a PNG and a folder worked. This change is annoying though because there is no visual feedback and you now have to aim at an open area.

That said, I'm 100% sure I was successful in dragging a file into the main browser area at least once in Lion -- it just stopped working one day.

13. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Thanks, this was pissing me off big time. I hate using the stupid open/save dialogs that keep rearranging your icons in totally different ways than in Finder.

14. evilblob macrumors member

In 10.7.1 this works for me, including the green plus sign telling you its going to work.

15. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Awesome. Does it work anywhere in the window, or just at the top and bottom like rorschach posted?

16. evilblob macrumors member

It's like rorschach posted, although dragging the folder into the Save As box (where you type the name of your document) brings up this box, with the path being the folder you dragged in.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. kockgunner, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Dragging to change directory works for me now in all applications. Weird.

[update: Doesn't work again. It must be a bug in Lion. I hope they work all these things out soon.]