Is everyone paying the unsubsidized price for the 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by green94, Oct 7, 2011.

1. green94 macrumors regular

I purchased the I4 on release day, actually got it a day earlier, and am not eligible for an upgrade until Nov 18th. It seems that a lot of people on MR are buying on release day... but at what price? Was your upgrade moved up to Oct 14th?

If so, did you call ATT and request to be moved up?

Looking to snag the 4S on the 14th and will gladly sign up for another 2yr contract, but I don't want to pay the full price.

Thanks

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Many are paying the early upgrade price (250 more). It's only money. :)

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I got my iP4 on launch
    I was eligible for upgrade without a call

4. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Obviously, customers with iphones older than 18 months (3GS and prior or other phones), new customers, and customers switching carriers are getting the full subsidized price. Also, there are a certain group of iPhone 4 owners who met certain criteria (bills over $100 per month and good pay standing) that are able to upgrade in 12 months at full subsidized price.

The rest of us that choose to upgrade have to pay the "partially" subsidized price which we get by signing new 2 year agreements. Yes, we are idiots who can't wait a month to upgrade. :D

Note that no one at this point is paying contract free FULL price, as you cannot current buy that.

Tony

5. TC25 macrumors 68020

I bought the iPhone4 on launch day and I'm not eligible until 2/16/2012. The 4s is not worth another $250.

6. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

I am account owner on account bought I4 on realease day 299.

I4S I had to pay + 250 I was eligible for full upgrade until yesterday go figure. Screw these guys

7. pasipple, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Couldn't get AT&T to move my upgrade eligibilty up from 2/16.2012...so I preordered an Iphone 4S from Verizon. I'll have to pay the Early Termination Fee (ETF) of $90 but I saved $250 on the phone.

I've been a customer of AT&T for the last four (4) years but I'm not waiting till February for a new phone. I reordered and received the iPhone 4 in June 2010 like everyone else...but I guess since I only have the minimal call and data plans...I'm not a priority for AT&T.

For me...Verizon has better cell coverage in my local area anyway...and Verizon has a faster network in most metropolitan areas within the USA.

So bye-bye AT&T...

EDIT/Note: I also saving the $18 fee AT&T is charging to upgrade. So I saved $178 by going to Verizon.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Like To Keep My Options

Open....We have a better choice of providers in the UK, so alway's buy from Apple sim free.

I know it cost's more but if I get hacked off with 02 I just order a sim form another provider....Keeps them on their toes.....Sometimes I go over my data plan, but they never seem to charge me for it. They know I can move easily.

9. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Purchased two iPhone 4 handsets on launch day. One of the lines is eligible for fully discounted upgrade today, the other is not until February.

Don't ask me why.

10. green94 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting... I meet both of the criteria above - are there any other stipulations that you know of? I've purchased the iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4 and have never had to pay more than $299.

Having to wait a month seems ridiculous!

11. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

If you've downgraded your calling or data plan that could effect your future upgrade eligibilty date.

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Bought the iPhone 4 on launch day, was eligible for an upgrade. Have a family line for me and my GF, bill runs around 160. A premier account member. Not sure why it was eligible for a subsidized price upgrade, but not complaining.

13. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I think that crieteria was hit and miss. No one can seem to figure out why some get it and some don't.

Tony

14. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

For me...with a 2/16/2012 eligibilty date...

I didn't want to wait 4 months for a new iPhone. I figure the iPhone 5 will be out in another 16 months +/-...and if I waited four months for the iPhone 4S...I'm another 4 months behind everyone else for the iPhone 5 eligibility.

Something to consider anyway...

15. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

so what are you planning on doing when the next iphone launches and you won't be eligible on verizon? switch back to ATT? What does priority have anything to do with it? you did signed up for 2 years when you got the ip4 did you not? Its certainly not AT&T's fault if you were expecting to be eligible only after 1 year.

16. pasipple, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I'm not saying it's AT&T's fault and I know I signed a 24-month agreement. But I'm not happy that others received an earlier upgrade eligibility than I did.

And I understand that it's a business decision for AT&T...but that works both ways! When the next iPhone comes out we'll see where I stand with Verizon on the next upgrade. If it is beneficial to me...I'll go back to AT&T.

With the porting of phone number to other carrier I don't really care who my carrier is...in cases...there is little (to no) different in coverage or service.

EDIT/Note: And I was 16 months (not 1 year) into my agreement...

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got (5) iPhones on my Family Plan; pay $276+ per month and bought via Apple Store Online and had two lines eligible for full subsidized pricing. Bought one iPhone 4S 64GB $471.29 OTD. Will buy the 2nd iPhone 4S at the Apple Store on launch day b/c the War Department wants the in-store experience, since she's always bought her iPhones online...lol:cool:

18. Blinny83 macrumors member

Transfered my Mom's upgrade to my line and gave her my i4. We split the $200. So she gets a 32gb i4 for the price of the 8gb and I get the 16gb i4s for the same price. Win win!

19. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

My Upgrade was Last month. September 21st. So I'm paying $199 :)

20. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

The difference in upgrade times has to do with what you pay per line on your bill. If you pay more than $99 for a line, then AT&T will let you upgrade within 12-18 months for that line, I believe. If you pay less than $99 on that line, then it will be normal upgrade timing.

AT&T has a page here for some FAQ about the upgrade. Sadly, it's referring to the 3GS, but I don't think much has changed since then in regards to upgrade.

21. joshuarobi macrumors regular

22. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah this is weird, like this guy thinks he is entitled to a cheaper phone every year than it actually costs...

All he is going to do is cause them to raise the ETF even FURTHER and screw legitimate customers with legitimate reasons to terminate.

23. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

I purchased the iPhone 4 on Verizon the day it was released, so I'm not eligible for subsidized pricing. I purchased the 64gb White at full retail price. I knew I'd have to, so I'd been saving money since I got the 4. No issues here in paying full retail! :)

24. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I know a lot of AT&T customers are happy and got an early upgrade date....and I'm happy for you all.

I think it's just BS this process of having different dates for different customers.

Again I understand the AT&T has recognized their "better?" or "higher paying" customers. It a business decision and probably a good buisness model for AT&T...

But...as far as I know we all agreed to the same 24-month agreement back in June 2010. The calling/requesting/begging/pleading/threatening account cancellation to get eligibility dates moved up is JUST DARN STUPID.

I'd have no problem at all if the agreements state that those customers that pay $100+ get a 16 month upgrade and those below $100 get a 20 month upgrade. No problem at all. But the whole process that AT&T uses to determine eligibily dates sucks! IT"S Humiliating!!!

Establish the dates and stick to them....

----------

I just noticed this post...

Looks reasonable...

$99+ 12-18 months upgrade

less than $99 20 month? 24 month? Doesn't say.

The current policy should be updated for the iPhone4 and now the iPhone 4S.

25. whistler222 macrumors 6502

Not quite.. ETF is $175.. not $90. $90 is for cheap phones for "advanced" phones it's $175 if you bought on launch day.
    you still save money but not as much..