iPad Is getting the cellular iPad worth getting over the WIFI only iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by quietstormSD, Oct 22, 2013.

1. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I'm a little torn between going for a cellular iPad air or the wifi only one. It would be nice to have cellular capabilities on the iPad, especially with the shift to "shared" data plans. Also with AT&T's new data plans for the iPad. Namely the 1GB for 3 months. It's tempting to get the cellular one. Oh yeah, there's also the GPS chip in the cellular iPad air that the wifi only one lacks.

But not sure if all that justifies the 130+ greater price tag. I do have tethering on my phone, which I can use on the wifi iPad when need be. And I do plan on using it mainly in wifi hotspot areas. Such as home, work and coffee shops etc.

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    For me it sure was. I would never consider buying anything but a cellular iPad. While I don't use the data plan all that often, it's there when I need it. The GPS is icing on the cake.

3. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

On T-Mobile with 200MB for free, It's damn worth it!

4. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I always got the Cellular models, but I really want a 128gb model, and I'm really pushing the envelope or Wallet...

What Happens if you lose your iPad and you do not have the GPS chip??? and they keep it off wifi?

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Personally I always prefer cellular so I have it available when wifi is not available or not the best.

6. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

I asked the same question here a couple of weeks ago. I'm still torn. I have my iPhone that I can hotspot but I always feel like I have to do whatever I'm doing fast. I guess I have a little more than a week to make up my mind.

Let us know what you plan to do!

7. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I was set on another cellular until i started thinking about Apples retarded 100 MB download limits and how some apps dont allow highest quality streaming over cellular. Ill most likely get the WiFi version and connect to my phone through WiFi instead so I don't have these limits.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It is for me. I use mine with AT&T and T-Mobile all the time. In my area, T-Mobile is much faster at about 30-41Mbps while AT&T gives me only about 10Mbps on LTE for both.

I like just being able to use it when I am at work, sitting in the car or when there is a power outage at my house. My job has secured WiFi that we can't use, it's only for the work computers POS system.

Now with AT&T offering 1GB good for three months, they make it worth keeping a data plan always active.

9. eldervovichka macrumors regular

I agree. I won't ever have another iPad that doesn't have cellular. I use AT&T Share Everything Plan so it is only 10 a month to have the iPad on the plan.

I am going to use the AT&T Next program to but my next iPad. For the iPad I think it is a good plan.

Jeff

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Same here.

My first iPad was wifi only and I didn't use it nearly as much as I use my LTE 3rd gen.

There have been a few times where the LTE was very useful. For example, when we moved we were without wifi for about a week. Not a life or death situation, but it was nice to have the LTE available.

11. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

But if you have the share plan, then you can use the hotspot feature on your iPhone to give the iPad internet access for free. Having that plan is exactly why I don't bother getting the cellular version. The only advantage for me would be the GPS, and that's not worth $130 to me.

12. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

Is the cellular model going to launch on the first with the wifi only model?!!?!! I know there's usually a 2-3 week difference but it hasn't been confirmed yet. At least I haven't seen.

13. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I got the cellular model for every iPad I owned up until iPad 4. I went wifi only then and used my iP5 as a hot spot. It allowed me to spend more and get more storage, instead of spending more for just the cellular ability. Plus adding tethering to my plan was $20, which added 2gb on to my total plan with AT&T, so basically the plans are a wash.

I see no difference in my use or connectivity via tethering via bluetooth to my phone, its just as convenient and you can save some coin!

It all up to your needs though, but tethering fits me fine! Plus LTE speeds are fast where I roam aorund so it's all good!

14. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I'd rather save $30 and get a 128gb iPad Air then get a 64gb iPad Air with LTE. I use my iPhone as a hotspot, so I don't fancy paying for more data!

The T-Mobile free 200mb plan did get me thinking otherwise, however. But its just not enough data and I'm sure overages aren't cheap (probably $10 to $15 per gig over the 200mb).

15. Codyak macrumors 6502

Is there only one model for the cellular version now? Will the T-Mobile version work 100% with AT&T and vice-versa? I didn't see any different model numbers on their site.

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Yes, there is one model and they said they increased the compatibility for many more networks including T-Mobile bands.

17. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

IMO cellular iPads are not worth for majority of the population when you consider the wifi hotspots from your smart phones.

Almost everyone has smartphones and can create wifi hotspot (if you want to have that feature available).

18. JackieInCo macrumors 601

The amount that AT&T charges to add tethering to my phone isn't worth it. I prefer to use that money for my iPads data plan.

19. Codyak macrumors 6502

Thanks.

20. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Not worth it if you have an iPhone, and tether.

21. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Yep. That's my plan too.

22. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've been doing this since the iPad 2.

Honestly, if you're in your car, plug the iPhone into a car charger, and you don't even have to worry about your battery life. Same as a hotel that may not have wifi.

Only place I could see this solution being a problem is if you're out camping in the wilderness without power.

23. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This is true if tethering is free like it is on Verizon (as long as you're on a share plan) and T-Mobile. However, on Verizon or Sprint you data cuts off if you're on a call so not the best option.

I actually have the $10 share plan on my iPad mini from Verizon and I use that to tether my MBP when I'm not near wifi.

24. Naramis macrumors member

How much of a hassle is it to leave tethering on in the iPhone? Does it drain too much battery?

I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $130 for the cellular version, considering that I always have my phone with me, and it can tether..

One advantage I can think of is having a different carrier on my phone and on the iPad, so if one isn't getting good signal, there's the other

25. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I'm with rogers, and apparently they don't really care if you tether.

The unofficial rule is if you're on a plan with more than 1Gb of data, you can tether.