Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Is there only one model for the cellular version now? Will the T-Mobile version work 100% with AT&T and vice-versa? I didn't see any different model numbers on their site.

Help me understand this.

They sell ATT versions and T-Mobile versions. How does it work with both? What I want the T-Mobile 200mb a month FREE plan for a bit, but then want ATT for a few months?

Help the dummy!

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
How much of a hassle is it to leave tethering on in the iPhone? Does it drain too much battery?

I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $130 for the cellular version, considering that I always have my phone with me, and it can tether..

One advantage I can think of is having a different carrier on my phone and on the iPad, so if one isn't getting good signal, there's the other

It does drain battery, but how often would your phone be away from a power source when you'd be using the tethering option?

If you're at home, you'd be using your wifi anyways. Also, most hotels offer wifi, and there are tons of free wifi hotspots these days when you're out and about within the city.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I use my lte sim from my unlimited verizon phone line 100% of the time in my Verizon lte iPad 3rd gen. I alternate my iPads

iPad 1 cellular
iPad 2 wifi
iPad 3 cellular
iPad 4 wifi
iPad 5 cellular.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
It does drain battery, but how often would your phone be away from a power source when you'd be using the tethering option?

If you're at home, you'd be using your wifi anyways. Also, most hotels offer wifi, and there are tons of free wifi hotspots these days when you're out and about within the city.

I tether on the road for work mostly if the Hotel WiFi is poor or they charge a fee for WiFi usage. Had good luck tethering in most large cities with LTE from my iP5.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I'm a little torn between going for a cellular iPad air or the wifi only one. It would be nice to have cellular capabilities on the iPad, especially with the shift to "shared" data plans. Also with AT&T's new data plans for the iPad. Namely the 1GB for 3 months. It's tempting to get the cellular one. Oh yeah, there's also the GPS chip in the cellular iPad air that the wifi only one lacks.

But not sure if all that justifies the 130+ greater price tag. I do have tethering on my phone, which I can use on the wifi iPad when need be. And I do plan on using it mainly in wifi hotspot areas. Such as home, work and coffee shops etc.

Yes. It is worth it. The insurance against it being stolen, or being able to track it if it is. Using it as a GPS in the car. Having internet access if you are away from wifi or if your power goes out. Having had an ipad wifi only and an ipad with lte, I'll tell you I'm never going back to wifi only.

----------

Will LTE iPads release November 1 too?

I would say "probably". The mini and ipad 4 had a delay between the release of the wifi only to the lte model. Just don't be too surprised if there is a delay..

eldervovichka

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Queen Creek, AZ
But if you have the share plan, then you can use the hotspot feature on your iPhone to give the iPad internet access for free. Having that plan is exactly why I don't bother getting the cellular version. The only advantage for me would be the GPS, and that's not worth $130 to me.

Yep I would agree, but with the AT&T Next, I can spread the 829 price over 20 months, I am not sure if they will sell the non-cell iPads. Right now that is a better option for me is to pay $40 a month is within my budget.

Jeff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.