Is going from a 7 Plus to a X a big downgrade in screen size?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radon87000, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Radon87000, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

Radon87000 macrumors 604

I know its screen size is smaller but is it noticeably smaller than the 7 Plus display? I would love to play with it at the sotre or wait for reviews but thats not possible this time around because of stockouts so I am kinda going in blindfolded

2. Roque1128 macrumors regular

Roque1128

The screen is actually bigger on the X. 5.8" compared to 5.5" on the 7 plus. The iPhone X has a smaller footprint because its bezel-less.

3. DaveOP macrumors 65816

It's taller, but narrower.

4. Radon87000 thread starter macrumors 604

So overall is it the same size or I may find it smaller?

5. rodiak macrumors regular

The screen on the X is 0.3" bigger (diagonally) than the screen on the 7 Plus. The overall size of the X is smaller than the size of the Plus because there are no top and bottom bezels anymore.

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

In the words of Donald Trump, "Wrong". The screen on the X is more narrow, though it is longer. For 16:9 video content, the X is a downgrade in terms of screen real estate.

[​IMG]

7. Roque1128 macrumors regular

Roque1128

The screen on the X is 5.8" the one on the 7 Plus is 5.5". They removed the bezels so it feels smaller, but the screen is definitely bigger.

8. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I am hesitant to go from my 7+ to the X because it is narrower and will make the keyboard feel cramped. I occasionally use a friend's 6/7 to type something and the smaller keyboard drives me crazy.

If you are OK with a narrower keyboard, then the X should be alright. But if you dislike the keyboard on the 6/7 then you should stick with the 8 Plus.

9. Radon87000 thread starter macrumors 604

I dont watch that many videos on my phone. For Facebook,Twitter and web browsing and emails its smaller?

10. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Technically yes, but not in usable size. Check this site out, for comparison. Make sure to calibrate the screen first

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size

11. joshen macrumors regular

joshen

Same width as the 6/7/8 display, but slightly taller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Arguably, there is not as much useable screen space on the X as there is on the Plus. It's noticeably narrower.

[​IMG]

13. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

If you like rounded corners and the notch cutout.. I suppose it's larger then.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

If you want to get a good idea go in to a phone store and play with a Galaxy S8, you will instantly feel a huge difference from your 7+ due to the narrowness. Even though the X won't be as narrow it will give you a good idea. It feels a little weird once you're used to the width of the 7+, but I guess you get used to it after a while.

15. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

This is a complicated question due to the devices having different aspect ratios, which means there’s a question of how much usable space you are getting in a single frame

The best way to understand the differences is to hold a 5.5” iPhone next to a 5.8” Galaxy S8.

Yes the S8 display is technically larger but in portrait and landscape things will feel smaller than the 5.5” iPhone. Content is more compressed, narrow and squished in comparison.

This is why the S8+ is the answer to the iPhone Plus. The different aspect ratio means you need a huge 6.2” display to equal the expansiveness of the 16:9 aspect ratio iPhone Plus.

16. DNichter, Sep 22, 2017

DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Shouldn't you cut off the dock and the space above the icons on the Plus also then? What would that be like? I'd imagine pretty similar. To the OP - no, you won't notice and it will be fine.

17. joshen macrumors regular

joshen

The usable space of the display will be around the same as your 7 Plus in terms of height, but less in terms of width. For Twitter, Mail etc I don't think it'll be an issue.

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure that anyone coming from a plus phone will definitely notice. The X's display will have very different dimensions. The question is, will you care? And the answer to that will vary by person.

19. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Fugly notch blocks content and narrow screen constrains content. X screen = FAIL! 8+ = Win

Attached Files:

20. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

[​IMG]
    This is what did it for me. I don't consider the part of the screen that begins curving as being equally "usable", and especially not the ears to the left and right of the bezel. Watch the official Apple demo video below:

https://images.apple.com/media/us/i...overview/primary/design_gestures/large_2x.mp4

You can clearly see the space near the curves is white space and wasted.

Additionally, I dislike that it's more narrow than the 8 Plus. They should have made it as wide as the 8 Plus.

21. Marshall73, Sep 22, 2017

Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

The X is about the same size width wise as a 7 but taller. You lose space at the curved part of the screen and it’s also 7mm narrower than the plus

Look at a 7 and 7 plus side by side. The text if far smaller on the 7 due to being narrower, the x is going to be the same.

Attached Files:

22. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I think people imagine they will be getting this plethora of additional content with the longer display in portrait.

You end up scrolling the same amount mostly based upon my last 5 months with the Galaxy S8+.

23. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

It has a similar size to the Galaxy S8. My 7 Plus has a smaller screen but it feels bigger due to the width.

24. mrklaw macrumors 68020

If you're not sure you could buy anyway and then return it if you don't like it

I'm borrowing an S8 front the office this weekend to try out a tall phone. So far I'm loving it, although no swipe to go back is weird.

The initial feel is more than just the size. It might sound pretentious but the lack of bezel really makes it feel like you're holding the content in your hand. The phone line of melts away. It's like that first time you used a laminated screen that felt like the webpage was right on top of the screen rather than under a piece of glass

25. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Yep. Even between my S8+, which has a massive 6.2" screen, there are occasions where some content just feels bigger on my 5.5" iPhone.

People will just have to experience it first hand to fully understand.