Is Google Search next to go?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Technarchy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Technarchy, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

First Google Maps got its throat cut.

Then Youtube got the boot.

Does anyone think Apple is bold enough to remove Google from being its default search engine in iOS? Sure its something easily changed by the user, but the fact is most don't, which is a massive chunk of iPhone and iPad users that Google will lose the ability to monetize.

It would take no effort on Apple's part to embrace Bing as its default engine. Bing was quite crappy at first, but it's certainly good enough to compete now, and most iOS wont know the difference.

Edit: It's speculated that Google paid $1,000,000,000 to Apple to be the default search engine during the last round of talks.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Youtube didn't get removed for the same reason Google Maps probably did. Apple's license for Youtube ended, they didn't remove it because they wanted to. So technically only Maps was removed at Apple's discretion.

3. irDigital0l Guest

Maps because Apple wanted to not rely on Google for their stock maps app and it also sucked.

YouTube because Apple's license with Google ran out and the app also sucked plus Google is making an app for App Store.

Bing sucks plus its owned by Microsoft. Just watch as they pick up steam with the Surface tablets and Window 8 phones.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

$1 Billion for google to be the default search engine? That sounds kinda high and for how long would that be for?

5. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

Google to making a new YouTube app. It's not like apple removed it forever. Google search will not go for sure.

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

That's a tough question. Apple wants the best user experience. Apple also wants to destroy Google. I know eventually they see Siri as being a replacement for search, but that is still a long way from happening. I think that Bing is a viable option for them. It may not be as good as Google, but it may be close enough. Especially if Apple works out a deal where they get more money from MS than from Google.

Let's face it, the average user couldn't tell the difference between a Google search and a Bing search.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apples rage against Google seems endless. Perhaps Bing or Yahoo will be the search engine Apple chooses. Although less effective than Google, Apples out for revenge. Pounding their chest like a primate in heat, they're on a tear. :eek:

8. jeffe macrumors 6502a

Slightly misleading. More likely that Google paid Apple $1,000,000,000 as a share of the revenue derived from search advertisements click-thrus on IOS devices. Apple supposedly receives something like 75% IIRC.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

We knew maps was going to go from the getgo, and YouTube, the native app is slow, and rarely ever works right.

The license also ran out.

But Apple doesn't have their own web search provider, so I think Google will be around on iOS for quite some time.

10. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Apple will buy out Yahoo. (It's cheap enough now) Yahoo will not just be the default search provider for iOS, but the only one. Speaking of 1984...

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Considering how a Google executive was on Apple's board and then Google jumps into about every realm Apple was in, I don't blame Apple at all. Google is leveraging all the money it makes on search to throw so much stuff free at people and kill every competitor. Borderline illegal if you ask me. But anyway, Google has made a crap knock-off of iOS and flooded the market with it because it's on every phone. At least Microsoft has taken the initiative of developing a unique OS instead of Microsofting one like the old Windows.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I could very well see Apple buying Yahoo! or at least making a deal with them to be the default search engine. The new Siri "sports card" feature comes from yahoo sports, and even with all the bad press yahoo has gotten, it's still the second most popular search engine and yahoo mail is still the largest email provider, not to mention flicker.

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm sure Apple will do something with Yahoo!. If they did buy them that would be pretty huge.

They already use Yahoo! Weather to power the weather App. They could get full default integration with Flickr through OSX and iOS and even use it as a photo and video storage in place of "MobileMe Gallery"

14. mrjayviper macrumors regular

Wouldnt mind bing as default. I prefer it over everything else.

15. throys macrumors 6502

It definitely will be removed sooner or later.

16. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

I dont think Bing or Yahoo are as good as Google, but they both good enough which is really all that matters for the majority.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I was under impression Yahoo just lugs the Bing engine into their homepage now. In essence it makes no difference.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yaaaa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bing#Yahoo.21_search_deal

Apple could just condense it down to single option.

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Please don't get me wrong, I'm _Not Advocating For Google_...

I do understand the story very well. That said, my point is not about Apple defending against Google, but rather _how_ they are going about it.

Apple is not a stupid company, they are highly focused & very clever.

If not for the unbridled rage, venomous & highly explosive ego of Steve Jobs, this case would have been approached in a more strategic & effective way.

In doing so, less negative criticism of Apple from cooler heads would have made Apple look better than they do & quashed all doubt that currently exists.

I've been too loyal for too long, than to fall for Apples current posturing. Too late for them to change strategies at this juncture, thanks to Jobs, they're looking more like the bully, than the classy & wronged company they are.

There's a way to win with class & style vs. the brute force they're currently using.

20. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

They made Google the default search on Safari 6 so I don't see why they would change it on iOS.

21. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Come on dude, so you think in Apple they just care about average user?

----------

There's no reason to do that. I'm not big fan of Google, not only because of their Policy, but they've got the best search engine on the planet. I've tried many of them. However I've moved all my stuff to Apple's iCloud because I couldnt stand the new policy.

22. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Settings > safari > search engine

You already have a choice. Apple won't remove google as a search engine they would be leaving the door wide open to being sued in every court around the world!

23. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

This ^^

And even if they removed Google search as a default. They can't/won't block the Google.com web page in Safari for those who prefer a Google search.

24. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

I'm guessing by the time 6.2 hits there will be a google system wide log in and it'll appear in share services with a whole bunch of native google apps.

I wish apple would kick some of thier own apps out of the OS make them live or die on the AppStore as well.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Google's executive was invited by the board - and even Jobs himself, when Schmidt left the board PRAISED his contributions.

There's nothing borderline illegal about Google's business model. It's just a different one than Apple's. Both seem to work as both companies are very successful.

What exactly about Android is a knock-off of iOS? Can you list any specific examples?