Is Grandfathered unlimited data still worth keeping?

Tigerbait81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
I have had unlimited data on my iPhone with AT&T since 2007. Every time I call AT&T for anything they are constantly trying to get me to get off my current unlimited plan to go to one of their "new" cheaper plans.

I know they have gone up on unlimited data from $20mth to I think $40 now. I avg around 12gb/mth in data right now. AT&T keeps trying to sell me on going to their unlimited everything plan and saving money monthly but I think I'm throttled in speeds after using so many gb???

Anybody else still have unlimited data and plan on keeping it still?

rikmac

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
Florida
I still have the unlimited original plan for the iPad at 29.99 a month. Sometimes I use it and sometimes not as much. But having it is worth the payment every month. I am going to keep it...

Reactions: AJsAWiz

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
For me, it is. I have an original unlimited plan from Verizon as a secondary device to my work phone that is through AT&T (and payed for by my company) that I use as my main device. I use it mostly for tethering while I'm traveling for work and almost never use it as a phone. But I use enough data to justify the cost.

syncopy

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
Yes. It’s currently cheaper for me than switching to the newer plans, even with the monthly subsidy charge included. I’ll switch when they actually give me an offer of equal value that isn’t temporary or promotional.

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
You're being throttled on your current AT&T plan, too, if you exceed a certain threshold. I eventually switched to one of the newer plans shortly after getting my 7 Plus. The price was very similar and the new plan allows tethering where the old one didn't. Sure, you have data limits on the tethering, but that's infinitely better than not having any tethering allowed at all.

I also got to keep my employer discount.

I've been happy with it.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I have had unlimited data on my iPhone with AT&T since 2007. Every time I call AT&T for anything they are constantly trying to get me to get off my current unlimited plan to go to one of their "new" cheaper plans.

I know they have gone up on unlimited data from $20mth to I think $40 now. I avg around 12gb/mth in data right now. AT&T keeps trying to sell me on going to their unlimited everything plan and saving money monthly but I think I'm throttled in speeds after using so many gb???

What is your plan setup? Do you have any fan discounts?

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Single line yes or two lines if you get a work discount. Worth it.
I switched to the new unlimited and no issues. We have four lines on it so it's cheaper for us.

xxMACxx

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
I had mine from the first time they offered it until last year. I finally switched to TMobile and my bill got cut in half. I had 4 lines with AT&T. I do still have it for my iPad with AT&T though. Everyone’s situation is different, but to me it made sense to move and save the money.

Reactions: ziggo

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida

I ditched mine over 2 years ago. I use less than 3 GB of data on 2 lines so I could save a boatload of money switching to a new plan! And I do appreciate having tethering. Unlimited data was cool to have back in the day but times have changed, for me at least.

Reactions: Tigerbait81

Tigerbait81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
What is your plan setup? Do you have any fan discounts?
Nationwide 450- $39.99
data unlimited- $40.00
Messaging unlimited- $10

= $89.99mth

I don't have any discounts that I know of.
[doublepost=1509330070][/doublepost]
You're being throttled on your current AT&T plan, too, if you exceed a certain threshold. I eventually switched to one of the newer plans shortly after getting my 7 Plus. The price was very similar and the new plan allows tethering where the old one didn't. Sure, you have data limits on the tethering, but that's infinitely better than not having any tethering allowed at all.

I also got to keep my employer discount.

I've been happy with it.
I think the new unlimited everything is around $65/mth if I'm understanding it correctly. Seems significantly cheaper but im trying to read the fine print and see if I can find the catch to dumping my unlimited data for a new plan.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Nationwide 450- $39.99
data unlimited- $40.00
Messaging unlimited- $10

= $89.99mth

I think the new unlimited everything is around $65/mth if I'm understanding it correctly. Seems significantly cheaper but im trying to read the fine print and see if I can find the catch to dumping my unlimited data for a new plan.

I’ll detail in a few minutes. One more question is do you have DTV or UVerse?

Tigerbait81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Do u have unlimited voice?
No I only have 450mins right now that I'm about to up to 900 mins for another $5mth bc I keep going over. I have the free mobile to mobile so typically I don't have to many minutes used.
[doublepost=1509330969][/doublepost]
I’ll detail in a few minutes. One more question is do you have DTV or UVerse?
No I don't have either. I have COX in 2 houses.

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Nationwide 450- $39.99
data unlimited- $40.00
Messaging unlimited- $10

= $89.99mth

The $60 dollar plan is throttled with no hotspot you would want to look at the $90 dollar plan that isn't throttled and includes 10gb hotspot. With either, you save $25 on directtv if you have it.

Tigerbait81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
The $60 dollar plan is throttled with no hotspot you would want to look at the $90 dollar plan that isn't throttled and includes 10gb hotspot. With either, you save $25 on directtv if you have it.
I won't be switching to directTV so I'm really asking if its worth giving up the current unlimited data for a cheaper plan that At&T keeps asking me to do. Is it really cheaper, is it really unlimited data still etc??

Mr.Bigglesworth

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Keep it.

I have an OG plan from Verizon ( unlimited ) and my stuff doesn’t get throttled.

All my buddies that have the newer “ cheaper “ plans always complain about their internet slowing down after around 20 something gigs.

I go up to 60-70 a month and it stays Same speed.

Reactions: Tigerbait81

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
No I only have 450mins right now that I'm about to up to 900 mins for another $5mth bc I keep going over. I have the free mobile to mobile so typically I don't have to many minutes used.
[doublepost=1509330969][/doublepost]

No I don't have either. I have COX in 2 houses.

Alright - So I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

Two unlimited plans. Choice and Plus. With one line, both of the prices I give you can receive an extra $5 off with autopay & paperless billing. Since you have no discounts on your current, both of these plans would work for you without raising your cost.

Unlimited Choice: $65 ($60 w/ autopay & paperless)

Unlimited Talk
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
Data is perma throttled to 3mbps, and down to 2g speeds if you surpass 22gb and the tower you're connected to is congested. Both conditions must be met before you get throttled down to 2g speeds.
Video streaming is limited to 420p (1.5mbps) permanently.
Unlimited talk/text to Canada/Mexico
Unlimited roaming IN Canada/Mexico
No Mobile Hotspot

----------

Unlimited Plus $95 ($90 w/ autopay & paperless)
Unlimited Talk
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
Data is throttled to 2g speeds if you surpass 22gb and the tower you're connected to is congested. Both conditions must be met before you get throttled down to 2g speeds.
Full HD video streaming
10GB Mobile Hotspot, after 10GB hotspot, hotspot speeds reduce to 128kb/s.

Both get HBO included (Through HBO Now)

So in either case, you'll either be cheaper or the same price as you pay right now assuming you do autopay and paperless. You'd have nothing to lose in this situation... especially if you're increasing your cost by going up to the NT900 for talking.
[doublepost=1509331716][/doublepost]
Keep it.

I have an OG plan from Verizon ( unlimited ) and my stuff doesn’t get throttled.

All my buddies that have the newer “ cheaper “ plans always complain about their internet slowing down after around 20 something gigs.

I go up to 60-70 a month and it stays Same speed.
Tigerbait has AT&T. AT&T may throttle after 22GB no matter if he's on the grandfathered plan or not if the tower he is connected to is congested. Will speed back up when tower decongests or he moves to decongested area.
[doublepost=1509331770][/doublepost]
I won't be switching to directTV so I'm really asking if its worth giving up the current unlimited data for a cheaper plan that At&T keeps asking me to do. Is it really cheaper, is it really unlimited data still etc??
Only the Choice plan is cheaper. Plus is either same price or $5 more if you don't do autopay/paperless. You gain more features on the plus for the same price.

Mr.Bigglesworth

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016

Two unlimited plans. Choice and Plus. With one line, both of the prices I give you can receive an extra $5 off with autopay & paperless billing. Since you have no discounts on your current, both of these plans would work for you without raising your cost.

Unlimited Talk
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
Data is perma throttled to 3mbps, and down to 2g speeds if you surpass 22gb and the tower you're connected to is congested. Both conditions must be met before you get throttled down to 2g speeds.
No Mobile Hotspot

----------

Unlimited Talk
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
Data is throttled to 2g speeds if you surpass 22gb and the tower you're connected to is congested. Both conditions must be met before you get throttled down to 2g speeds.
Full HD video streaming

So in either case, you'll either be cheaper or the same price as you pay right now assuming you do autopay and paperless. You'd have nothing to lose in this situation... especially if you're increasing your cost by going up to the NT900 for talking.

Tigerbait has AT&T. AT&T may throttle after 22GB no matter if he's on the grandfathered plan or not if the tower he is connected to is congested. Will speed back up when tower decongests or he moves to decongested area.

Only the Choice plan is cheaper. Plus is either same price or $5 more if you don't do autopay/paperless. You gain more features on the plus for the same price.

Really ?

We’ll that stinks.

Tigerbait81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017

Unlimited Talk
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
No Mobile Hotspot

----------

Unlimited Talk
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
Full HD video streaming

Man this is exactly what I was looking for thanks for taking the time to answer me.

I don't really stream outside of being on wifi, however I could see it getting old when I travel to be limited to 420p on the choice plan. And the Choice plan is a good bit cheaper than what I pay now. I have only hit 20gb/mth a couple of times over the years so being throttled likely won't be an issue on either of these unlimited plans.

Sorry I'm a novice here, these are my last questions:

1. What features does the Plus offer that I don't already have? Hotspot-which I don't need and HBO which I already have HBOGO?

2. Can I get the $5/mth reduction on my current plan now by doing the auto pay/paperless?

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Man this is exactly what I was looking for thanks for taking the time to answer me.

I don't really stream outside of being on wifi, however I could see it getting old when I travel to be limited to 420p on the choice plan. And the Choice plan is a good bit cheaper than what I pay now. I have only hit 20gb/mth a couple of times over the years so being throttled likely won't be an issue on either of these unlimited plans.

Sorry I'm a novice here, these are my last questions:

1. What features does the Plus offer that I don't already have? Hotspot-which I don't need and HBO which I already have HBOGO?

2. Can I get the $5/mth reduction on my current plan now by doing the auto pay/paperless?

1. Plus will be mostly the same speed. Choice will be alot slower

2. No