Is How Do You Do? really archaic?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agkm800, Nov 3, 2017.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Do you ever say or hear 'How do you do?' ??

Is it really archaic? Any thoughts?

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've heard it in old films like The Wizard of Oz and Fantasia, but I'm not sure whether I've ever heard it in real life. It stood out as outdated when I heard it in Fantasia so I'd probably notice if someone were to use it today.

4. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Maybe in the US. I'm from Across the Pond, and from the sort of background where formal speech is still used on occasion.

Thus, I would argue that it is not necessarily, "archaic", but, is perhaps, used in a setting that is formal, very polite and - yes - one that might be seen as a little-old fashioned.

Anyway, I've heard it used - in speech; and I've used it myself in speech, but only in formal settings.

And it is five million light years better than 'whazzup?' which - if I come across it - makes me want to murder the speaker or writer.

5. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Archaic, perhaps. But, so is the English language in general, having reverted to mangled grunts.

6. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

7. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

In British English, "dear" also carries the meaning - exactly as it does in the French equivalent - of 'expensive' and (thus, perhaps, by implication), of cherished.

But, maybe that is old-fashioned, too. Or, 'archaic'.

Mind you, some expressions considered 'archaic' are very expressive, and I must consider (re-) introducing them to my own speech (and writing).

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Not archaic, just formal. I still use it, and would never think twice before saying it. Maybe it's just elitist.

9. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Oops, I’ve used that and “pleased to meet you”

10. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

I'm < 30 and have used both as well.

Crap, that explains why it was so hard to get a date in my early 20s...

11. Scepticalscribe, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Clearly, you were seeking out the wrong women.

In any case, I rather like some of the older forms of speech and addesss, and have been known to send people on their merry way with "fare thee well".

12. Huntn, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

That does not sound as dated as how do you do. I’d more likely say something like a pleasure or nice to meet you.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Lol. :D
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    What would you say instead, please use some context.

It’s hard for me to judge, but I can imagine it being outdated, but I like the word in a phrase such as dear friend or my dear, although I admit it sounds old fashioned. I still start letters on occasion with Dear Sir, which is just a polite address. What to use instead?

13. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

I like saying the bee's knees. Then again, I watch I Love Lucy, Gilligan's Island, Three's Company, and Married With Children on my phones, so what the hell do I know with the current times? Nick @ Nite is my thing.

Born '80 but feel 80. Old soul. Groucho Marx is my idol. I find Buster Keaton funnier than Charlie Chaplin but have every great movie Chaplin has ever done. I listen to The Andrew Sisters station on Pandora just to relax to at night.

If you have children and want to make them laugh, show them videos of The Three Stooges and Michael Winslow. I got a ton of videos of every Columbia short of The Three Stooges and 70+ Jackie Chan films.

My favorite decade for music and maybe movies is still the 1980's even though I didn't grow up in it as a teenager. I like the oldies but goodies. Archaic? That term would still sound cool to me. Maybe I was really born in 1880? Happy 137 to me next month.

14. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I always start letters and emails - that is, each and every letter and email - unless to very close friends (and sometimes even then) with "Dear......." (name or title, or both).

Even now. It looks better, comes across better, and is something that the recipient will never find fault with.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member