Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
As it stands right now there are options.

I successfully messaged someone in the UK with it, I'm in the US, and it didn't count against my SMS limit. It is using Apple's server to send the iMessage and not the cell phone company.

Text messages are tiny so I wouldn't worry about data usage. I think the iPhone still compresses audio, video, and picture messages before sending them so again, not too worried about data usage.

A little quick math. iPhone in the US has (for me unlimited data but...) 2 gigs for $25 = 2048 megabytes.

A text message (sms) is 160 characters (160 bytes even though on SMS it would be closer to 128 bytes since it uses 7 bit characters but this is a different protocol)

With the packet routing overhead an iMessage is probably a bit larger than 160 bytes so lets over estimate and say it's about 250 bytes. To reach 2048 megabytes or 2,048,000,000 bytes would take a very long time or roughly 8,192,000 messages (probably many more).

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, it's been a long day.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.png
    IMG_0030.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0031.png
    IMG_0031.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 76

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Technically, it is, since you don't pay to get it. But you do pay to your carrier to send the actual iMessage..granted, at a much smaller rate than your normal SMS.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
As it stands right now there are options.

I successfully messaged someone in the UK with it, I'm in the US, and it didn't count against my SMS limit. It is using Apple's server to send the iMessage and not the cell phone company.

This is not the problem with iMessage.

Let's say that you sent the message to your contact in the UK, but that they were unable to receive the message (no signal for example).

iOS automatically resends any iMessage as an SMS that fails to be delivered after after 5 minutes. It doesn't ask if it can do this - it just does it. It doesn't know about the cost difference between the two (effectively nothing for an iMessage vs. actual money for an SMS).

For most people that is simply going to be unacceptable.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
This is not the problem with iMessage.

Let's say that you sent the message to your contact in the UK, but that they were unable to receive the message (no signal for example).

iOS automatically resends any iMessage as an SMS that fails to be delivered after after 5 minutes. It doesn't ask if it can do this - it just does it. It doesn't know about the cost difference between the two (effectively nothing for an iMessage vs. actual money for an SMS).

For most people that is simply going to be unacceptable.

scratch that

yeah I see. Mine failed earlier today but it asked if i wanted to try again as sms. I didn't know it did it automatically...

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007

Are you sure about that? iMessage includes delivery confirmation, you know right away that the send failed. When I tested, it was unable to send an iMessage, but did not send as an SMS until I confirmed it (I didn't wait 5 mins...).

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Are you sure about that? iMessage includes delivery confirmation, you know right away that the send failed. When I tested, it was unable to send an iMessage, but did not send as an SMS until I confirmed it (I didn't wait 5 mins...).

That's my experience with iMessage so far (and other users have confirmed the same).

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Captured it this time.

Waited more than 5 min and no auto delivery as you can see from the clock heh. Just sat there and said it was taking a while to deliver.

I don't know if this matters but the recipient is not currently running iOS5 but they were earlier.

Has it auto SMS'd for you? I would kind of like that but as a toggle option of course.

Ok, after I closed the app it just sent it as an SMS without me saying yes. Guess he's right.

Ill post right after. I even deleted it using edit -> delete but it still got sent. Weird.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.png
    IMG_0032.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0033.png
    IMG_0033.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0034.png
    IMG_0034.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 69

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Just to clarify

I did NOT ask it to send as SMS. I just closed the messages app and when I re opened it it had sent the message as SMS.

I even Edit -> deleted the message before closing the app and it got sent anyway. Interesting. Filing a bug report now.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.png
    IMG_0035.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 52

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
That's my experience with iMessage so far (and other users have confirmed the same).

it's always asked me, that's the way it's made

Just to clarify

I did NOT ask it to send as SMS. I just closed the messages app and when I re opened it it had sent the message as SMS.

I even Edit -> deleted the message before closing the app and it got sent anyway. Interesting. Filing a bug report now.

the reason it didn't ask you was, from what i see, your contact was not using iOS5 anymore, when you go out of the app and back in it checks to see if they can receive it as an iMessage, which is why, in your last pic, after you get the warning sign next to the iMessage, it says Text message in the typing box and the button was green not blue. It didn't ask cos it already knows you cannot send it as an iMessage as it was unsuccessful before.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I've just tried it again and it asked me if I wanted to use an SMS after 4 minutes, but after 5 minutes it automatically sent the SMS.

iMessage is fully configured on the recipient's device.

My iPhone is still willing to send an iMessage to the recipient.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
the reason it didn't ask you was, from what i see, your contact was not using iOS5 anymore, when you go out of the app and back in it checks to see if they can receive it as an iMessage, which is why, in your last pic, after you get the warning sign next to the iMessage, it says Text message in the typing box and the button was green not blue. It didn't ask cos it already knows you cannot send it as an iMessage as it was unsuccessful before.

Regardless of why it did it, it's not expected behavior. The user clicked a blue send button for an iMessage and an SMS was send instead. If it warns you while your in the app, it should not assume authorization when the app is closed. I'm sure that this will be addressed before release.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Regardless of why it did it, it's not expected behavior. The user clicked a blue send button for an iMessage and an SMS was send instead. If it warns you while your in the app, it should not assume authorization when the app is closed. I'm sure that this will be addressed before release.

What he said.

Yea it surprised me with that behavior and it didn't ever present an option to cancel the message.

pcunite

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
My wife and I both have iPhone 4, iOS5. I sent her a text message while she had data turned on and it went out as an iMessage. Then I had her turn data off. My phone showed that it went out as an iMessage, but a few minutes later changed to green (sms). I like this behavior ... just make sure my message go out.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
yes iMessage is Free, you can walk into a McDonalds use their WiFi network to send messages all day, wont cost you a penny

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.