is Imessage "free"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zombierunner, Jun 13, 2011.

1. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

will i able to send messages to another ios5 device user in another country? will it be free for me and the receiver?

2. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

It uses data so it depends on your data package.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It uses data as stated but that could be wifi or 3G but yes there is no additional charges

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

No such thing as free ;)

But no additional charges, yes.

5. zombierunner thread starter macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

yes thats what i wanted to know ... no additional charges .. this is pretty cool then you can send imessage to anyone anywhere without using your regular text message allowance

6. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

You can send videos, right? That could add up if people don't realise it counts against their "internet".

7. profets macrumors 68040

In terms of it being "free", just imagine it as you would use email to communicate (its something that needs an internet connection, whether its over wifi or cellular data through 3G).

8. walie macrumors 6502a

its amazing that nobody thought of this before

9. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Tell that to RIM. :rolleyes:

10. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

RIM charge their own fee though, so basically I can conclude iMessage wins :D

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The service isn't "free" its free (without the quotation marks) but it requires internet to work.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

whatsapp
    pingchat
    kik messenger
    plus a hundred other message apps

good thing it's never been thought of

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's amazing that you think that....

14. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Do they? When I contracted a "PDA" data plan I called my carrier to please enable a BB (BIS etc.) service on it and they did so with no additional fee..?

15. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

ratzzo, RIM charges the carriers, yes, but most carriers eat that cost. BlackBerries put far less load on their networks, so they're willing to make a little less on them.

16. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

when i had a blackberry before my iphone i didnt have a data plan. i asked att if it costs extra. they told me every message i sent counted towards a text and every minute i was on the app it counted towards a minute. i dont know if this was true so i didnt bother with it.

17. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

I hope when you mean to "anyone", you mean to any iOS 5 Device (iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4th/3rd, and iPad 2/1. You can just iMessage "anyone".
    By the way, it is free in the sense that it is unlimited, but as everyone has mentioned, it goes against your Internet Plan at home or from your data plan with your iPhone. By the way, you can send videos and pictures as well. Even though RIM and other companies have done many things such as cross-platform texting for free, it is great that Apple has integrated messaging between iOS 5 devices, just like RIM has between Blackberries. However, the great thing with apps like "Whatapps", it is cross-platform, so you can truly text anyone with practically any other phone (dramatized a bit).

18. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

There's no way that's true, that would mean they're double charging you for sending a message (voice time for when you're writing the message then a text for when you send it).

19. withe011 macrumors regular

iMessage picture sending options

My chief concern is being able to send picture MMS messages (which are currently included as part of my ATT messaging plan) without using up all of my limited data plan if I'm on 3G. Though I doubt there will be, I'd like an option to have iMessages on, but always send picture MMS messages through my messaging plan. I'll just have to see how it goes.

20. walie macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

better?

21. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

I believe it will have an option to turn iMessages on or off.

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There is currently no way to configure iMessage like that.

It's either on or off.

23. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

thats why i didnt touch it because it sounded very farfetched. it was right before i got the iphone so it didnt bother me as i was the only one i knew who had a blackberry then.

24. err404 macrumors 68020

iMessage is simply a proprietary IM client integrated with an SMS client. If your device can handshake with the recipient, an iMessage is sent, other wise an SMS is sent.

25. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Nothing is free. You pay for a data plan, so technically you're paying to use iMessage. But there are no hidden costs while using iMessage.