Is iOS 5 going to be released before or after the iPhone 5 Apple Event?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlexanderTT, Sep 21, 2011.

1. AlexanderTT macrumors member

AlexanderTT

I'm just wondering whether we'll see iOS 5 released before this supposed apple event. If not does anyone have a vague idea as to when we can get our non-developer hands on it?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

GM 99% chance out at Apple Event...5-10 days later it goes public for everyone although no UDID is needed to install the GM.

3. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

usually its after, im sure they will go over more features during the conference.

Conference
    iOS 5 release
    iPhone 5 release

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Surely IOS 5 will be able to be downloaded on the say of the event?

5. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Nope, a GM always comes out first (on event day) for roughly 7-10 days to developers, then it goes public.

iOS 4 GM came out June 7 on event day

iOS 4 went public on June 21 even though it was identical to GM.

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

True indeed

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

I think it'll be out before or at the event, especially if the GM is out Friday or some time next week.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Depends on whether we see a GM get released soon or not. If the GM isn't released by the end of next week, then I think we'll see the GM get released at the event. But if we do see a GM release in the next week, then I think we'll get the public release on the day of the event (after Cook announces the IOS 5 stuff that wasn't announced by Steve in June).

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

This.

10. mattburles macrumors regular

well if we get no updates for iCloud beta, Lion 10.7.2, iWork, iOS 5 this week than I think we will see them GM soon for sure :)

11. shandyman Suspended

Apple have never released a GM for iOS before an event, so the chances of a GM this week are minimal. Then again, this year has been different, so things can change.

12. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

As you said.. This year has been different. For all we know they are planning on a public release the same day the event takes place.

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

Well considering the event is rumored to occur in early October, a GM release this week or next week could put a public iOS 5 release in the same time frame as GMs usually take a week or two to be pushed out publically.

14. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

Wait...

By this do you mean anyone (not developer) could download it? Could you please explain more about how this would work?

15. batting1000 macrumors 604

The GM doesn't require an activated UDID to use but it's piracy which is illegal so it shouldn't be discussed any further.

16. shandyman Suspended

Yea, i was kind of covering myself a bit there. I highly doubt GM will come out before the event. GM will be final code, so there could be the code for the Nuance tech, which is something that's not announced, Apple will want event to announce that.

GM's take a week or 2 to be pushed out publicly? what do you mean? as GM's are technically only for dev's, not for the public, so why would that have any bearing on public release?

GM doesn't require UDID to be registered, so if you can get a copy online, you can update to it with no worries.

17. batting1000 macrumors 604

Except it's piracy which is illegal.

----------

I meant pushed out as the final release.

----------

Who knows, it could be a feature they are reserving for 5.x.

18. shandyman Suspended

I never said it wasn't, nor was i encouraging. was just answering the question....

well GM isn't always the same as what get's public release. Game Center for 4.0 is an example. They're 2 seperate releases, just one is to Dev's only, then the public release is another seperate thing, it's not really stages like you imply....

Nah, it has to be for a big release, it could be for the new device only, but there could still be hints of the code in final release of iOS. The reason it would have to be for a big release is due to it being such a heavily integrated feature. it's not some random bolt on....

There's not much logic to releasing it before an event. At the event, it will be discussed as part of the new device, recap features mentioned before and any new features they've been hiding. then say it's available to dev's later that day.

19. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'd love to see it out before the iPhone 5 release, but I except it will come out a day or two before par usual.

20. batting1000 macrumors 604

Well you said you could update to the GM without worries. W/e, np.

More often than not, the GM is USUALLY the same build. Off the top of my head, I think 4.0 and 4.3 were like that.

Not really sure. So far it's just speech to text and should work with any device that has a microphone built in or can utilize headphones with a microphone.

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

22. shandyman Suspended

Yea as in if he chose to go down that route, he won't lock out his phone from the UDID. Nice to see you read far too much into what i said tho :rolleyes:

nope, 4.0 was different due to Game Center. The whole point of GM coming out prior to public launch is a last phase of bug testing, thus why Game Center got pulled, as it obviously wasn't ready for public use.

Wow, you really don't understand how much integration it would actually involve! It's not as simple as that lol.

you're just not thinking logically here. Makes no sense to release GM prior to an event.

23. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Gm on the 4th of October and Release of iOs 5 and iPhone 5 NOVEMBER 4!

24. CompletelyApple macrumors newbie

I believe that GM will come this Friday.

Invites on 27th/28th
    Event on October 4th/iOS 5 release.
    October 7th - iPhone 5 release.

I say the iPhone 5 has to come out on the 7th because the Sprint vacation block ends on the 15th.

I know Apple doesn't "usually" cut it this close....but the iPad 2 came out a mere 9 days after announcement...iPhone 5 could certainly come 3 days later because it seems that they are prepared.