Is iOS 7 unusable on the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by super chimp, Sep 19, 2013.

1. super chimp macrumors 6502

Thought I have updated my iPhone 5 I have held off updating my iPad 2 for fear it will make it to slow & sluggish for use?

Is this the case?

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

3. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that feedback.

Would you say it's had any noticeable impact on its battery life so far?

4. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

I am using iOS 7 on my iPad 2 and i haven't found any issues with battery life or anything else, yet….

Amen...

5. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

6. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I'll have to go a full day using it, but the battery life seems unchanged.

7. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

I am in the same boat, OP. I updated my 4S last night and while it runs well, it does stutter occasionally. I would love to hear more input from iPad 2 users as well. I don't want to update if it will lag or otherwise not function as well as it does now.

Does it lose any functionality or styling cues like the iPhone 4?

8. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all for the feedback.

Is there any scroll juddering with iOS 7 on it?

9. AT06 macrumors 6502

AT06

I've been using mine for a few hours now, and I can honestly say that IOS7 on iPad 2 is FARRR better than IOS6. Way more stable, a lot less stuttering/hanging, animations are nice an smooth. It's honestly like my iPad has been given a second life.

10. matttye macrumors 601

Sluggish and there are some hiccups with certain animations, but it's alright for the most part.

11. Crispy Duck macrumors regular

Photo Frame

Can anyone confirm that the Photo Frame feature (from the lock screen) has been removed? Thanks.

12. ToniqR macrumors member

ToniqR

It's good to hear these positive comments. I might update my ipad 2 tonight then, I'm liking it on my iPhone 5 so far.

13. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

works fine on my iPad 2. Battery life is the same for me. Bit slower than the iOS 6.

----------

Yes

14. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

My iPad 2 was my guinea pig for iOS 7. Used it for about an hour last night. Everything seemed to perform well. Although it may seem "slower" because of the new animations, which I probably wouldn't have noticed if there wasn't such a fuss made over them.

15. Hollow Man macrumors regular

I upgraded my iPad 2 last week, and my iPhone 5 yesterday. The iPad 2 performance is decent, but not nearly as good as the iPhone 5. Every now and then it just takes an extra instasecond for something to respond, but it's not a deal breaker.

The worst for me is when using the keyboard, and I switch from letters to numbers, it takes just a bit too long for it to occur. After the first time, it's quick, probably because it's already loaded into memory.

I really miss the blurring effect. The regular transparency is rather ugly.

-HM

16. xConnerIdan macrumors member

Runs fine on my father's iPad 2, haven't noticed any slowdowns when I used it, and it was a OTA install rather from iTunes itself.
    I don't know people think the iOS 7 on the iPad 2/3/4/Mini are slow, I haven't encountered any slow downs, guess it's just bad luck for some people.

17. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502

They seem to have done a good job on supporting what is not exactly the newest of hardware judging by the feedback on here.

Does iOS 7 take up any more memory than iOS 6 on it?

18. danakm macrumors regular

danakm

It's working fine on mine. The animation from lock to home screen was slow the first time, but the issue didn't repeat after that one time.

----------

To be fair, while the iPad 2 was released a while ago, the internals are pretty much the same found in the iPad Mini, so not supporting it would have been unashamed planned obsolescence to try and force you to update your perfectly-fine hardware :rolleyes:

19. tudy25 macrumors newbie

Yet the iPad 2 still doesn't have some of the blur effects (NC, CC etc.). Also Siri... I can't possibly understand the limitation behind that. I would love to hear a technical explanation from Apple.

20. danakm macrumors regular

danakm

There are two theories behind the blur effects. The first says it was removed, not because the iPad 2 couldn't handle it, but to improve performance (I honestly don't miss them and would rather have my iPad run faster without them, if that's the case). The second (which I personally find feasible and tend to believe) is that the wreck-party called iPad 3 didn't handle them too well, so they removed it from the iPad 2 because it wouldn't look good for Apple to have older hardware working better than the model they released after.

And Siri... some say it's something either with the sound codec or physical microphone. I tend to think since they were trying to sell Siri so hard as this must-have-feature (again, personally, I don't use it too often) they deliberately left it out to try to get you to buy the newest and shiniest toy :rolleyes:

21. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

22. danakm macrumors regular

danakm

iOS 6 was pretty slow to boot for me... and honestly, I rarely reboot my ipad, so it doesn't really bother me much (that's just me, of course).

23. route42nj macrumors member

How do the fonts look? In particular the icon fonts? Being that iOS7 was designed primarily with retina capable devices in mind does this impact the legibility of the new thinner icon fonts? Is there noticeable pixilation?

24. danakm macrumors regular

danakm

They look perfectly fine to me. They obviously look prettier on retina devices, but I don't see any jarring pixelation on my iPad 2 at all :)

25. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I'm an old fat, I just set the text to bold and can use/read it without a problem.

If you want to make the iPad2 lag horribly, go switch the wallpaper image. It's worth a sad laugh, at the very least.