Is iOS 9 moving to round icons?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rogifan, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Interesting banner on second floor of Moscone. Photo is blurry but you can clearly see that iOS and watchOS are depicted by circles and OS X a rounded rec. I find it curious they chose a circle for iOS.

[​IMG]

2. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

Interesting. I can't see it myself but who knows. I guess we'll find out in a few hours :)

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Me neither. But the graphic is interesting.

4. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I don't think so. Round icons would not be a step forward. I would also assume that such a significant change to iOS may have been leaked by now.

5. Chad-VI macrumors regular

Chad-VI

That's possible since they are showing both "WatchOS" and "iOS" in round icons while the "OSX" is in the usual square with rounded edges icon (which may mean both iOS and WatchOS will use the same style of icons).
    What is really odd in my opinion is the absence of "9" banners like the previous years when they showed "8" , "7" and "6". Does this mean a change in the naming of upcoming iOS versions?

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Maybe there are more banners to go up. But I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the numbering scheme for marketing purposes.

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I'd love to see a UI refresh using the style of posters for WWDC. The posters are very much like the Photos app fro Mac, so I could see them re-design the UI using this new style :)

CG5hLZBXIAIhj4m.jpg-large.jpeg

Here is the Photos for Mac icon that follows the same theme and style of the banner:

photos-app-icon-mac-300x294.jpg

8. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

I'd be extremely surprised if Apple made the jump to round icons for iOS. It seems unlikely, at least for iOS 9, as they were more interested in optimizing it, rather than updating its looks. Still, this is an interesting find. Now I really can't wait for Monday.

9. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Gah, that photos icon looks so nice. It's flat, but not like a sheet of paper. Makes me think of a vanilla wafer sort of shape xP To me, the shading across the icon makes it look so much more appealing. No, we don't need glossy finish and intense textures from iOS 6 and earlier, but just more shadows to distinguish between UI elements, and to add very subtle depth. Makes the UI feel alive, almost. If that doesn't sound weird.

But yeah, maybe the posters are hinting toward a refresh. Not a redesign, but just general refinements like what we saw in iOS 6. That is definitely something iOS needs right now. If they were to do that and throw in dark mode, and throw in the optimizations to make it all run like butter again, (something we've lost since iOS 7) it would absolutely be incredible. Those 3 things alone would be enough for me for iOS 9.

I don't think iOS 9 will feature round icons though, but a more "round" UI with depth and drop shadows hopefully?

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

And everyone would say Apple copied Google's material design (as if Google invented drop shadows). But I wouldn't mind iOS taking more design cues from OS X and being a little less flat. According to John Gruber the new head of user interface, Alan Dye, was heavily involved in Yosemite so perhaps some of that comes to iOS.

11. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

One can hope! I think this would be highly beneficial to both the look and the readability of the OS. The biggest place I want to see it is on the home screen. It's impossible to find a good wallpaper now because everything mashes together even if the wallpaper is slightly busy.

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Round would make a certain amount of sense since your fingertips are round. I wouldn't have a problem moving to round icons as a user. As a developer I'll silently scream.

13. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

I want the Watch OS interface on iOS. You know, instead of home screens just one big place to get to your apps.

Of course, you do need to let people choose between "classic" and "modern (Watch OS-like)" UI. I'll definitely switch, if the option is available.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

But at the same time then OS X would be moving away from circular app icons? That seems somewhat odd since they already have them, and Apple has been going in the direction of unifying them all in one way or another over time.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

On Mac OS. But iOS is still the square.

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

The option to have them all on one screen might be nice. But I want to keep my folders in both styles.

17. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Not all of the icons are circles. Mail, contacts, calendar are still squares. So they might keep a mix or take everything one direction or another

18. Arran, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Reminds me of geometric fabric designs from the 70's - but with brighter colors (thank heavens!):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I would say hopefully Apple gives us a choice, but I've been mocked for saying "Apple" and "choice" in the same sentence :p

20. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Going to rounded photos was arbitrary and unneeded, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

21. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

After seeing what MacRumors went through after switching to round avatars? Highly doubt it.

Seriously though, I do wish they'd go to a standard format for Mac icons.

22. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

No I don't think so. There's nothing to be gained from having round app icons on iOS. It would look a lot worse than the rounded recs. Circles would look really bad in a grid.

23. devinthomas macrumors regular

I find that circles are softer and much more inviting.

[​IMG]

That looks serene to me. I don't like the actual icons, but those round shapes look absolutely calming.

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Not to mention it goes with all the commercials for the watch that focus on circles.

25. TheColtr macrumors regular

I've actually wanted iOS to go circles forever. iOS 1-6 looked good with the square shapes but with the more colorful design of 7 and 8 I think circles would really look nice