Is iPad 2 HSPA?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ZBoater, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I ask because both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are pulling 4.5-5Mbps down and 1Mbps up right now using the Spedtest.net test.

2. profets macrumors 68040

3. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I know the 4s is hspa+ not sure if the iPad 2 is or if it is only hspa

4. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Apple's website does not list HSPA+ for the iPad 2. Here is their comparison between the new iPad (left) and iPad 2 (right).

Attached Files:

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

HSPA+ starts from iPhone 4S on, and iPad 3. Everything else is HSPA only

6. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

that is what I thought, so technically the question from the OP "Does the iPad 2 have HSPA?" is true, but I think the OP really meant does it have HSPA+, which is false.

7. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Your lucky most people's average speeds on HSPA+ are in the 1 to 3Mbps down.

8. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

You're right, I meant HSPA+. Thanks everyone for the answers. Ever since I got my iPhone 4S on launch day I've been running speedtest on it and on my iPad. I've gotten as high as 6Mbps down, but more often than not I'm in the 2-3 Mbps range. Funny thing is it doesn't matter whether I test the iPhone 4S or the iPad 2, I get the same results.

Hmmmmmm.....

9. profets macrumors 68040

If they're on the same network then that could come down to congestion and backhaul constraints with the carrier.

10. aypues macrumors regular

21 mbps HSPA+

I believe the iPhone 4S's HSPA+ radio is the 14.4 variety, whereas the new iPad's HSPA+ is 21. Looking forward to good internet speeds when not in LTE territory. I'm coming from the iPad1, so it will be a huge improvement in either scenario.

11. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Well, who's your carrier and do they offer HSPA+ where you are testing it. The carrier has to provide HSPA+ on their end as well. ATT calls it 4G so with iOS 5.1 you will get a 4G indicator next to the signal indicator when you are in an HSPA+ area, if it says 3G then it is not.

12. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, AT&T?

Yes.

13. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't know but that answer makes it seem like I should know your on AT&T, you didn't specify and this forum is international and I don't know where you live. I also don't know what level of technical sophistication you have and may have thought that hspa+ worked of Verizon or some other provider.

Anyway, check for the 4g indicator, AT&T does not have hspa+ everywhere. If it doesn't show 4g then it will be running at the same speed as the iPad, so the speed test will tell you nothing.