Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Am about two go down and pick up a ipad 4 but is the ipad 4 a good still a good ipad in 2014? I had a ipad air and I refuse two buy one when I had the air at one time it filt like the srceen was going two break that srceen is so weak the ipad 4 srceen is strong I may upgrade two ipad air 2 later but will keep the 4th for now

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Wait for iPad Air 2. Don't waste your money on 2 year old tech.

Very simple but practical advice I can give you.

Cheers.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
That depends on the price, and also on what you're planning on doing with it. I'm still using my iPad 3, as it works just fine for most of my uses.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Wait for iPad Air 2. Don't waste your money on 2 year old tech.

Very simple but practical advice I can give you.

Cheers.

I disagree. It depends on how you look at it. The iPad 4 is still a very good device and does not fail in any regard. Other than a slight speed bump and chassis design, there isn't much difference between the Air and 4. Of course, Apple could change that in Air 2 - but the 4 will probably work very well for another 2 years.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
This got back. With iPad 4. You can not buy a iPad 4. At walmart. For $349 wish was 399 349 is a vary good buy I all so got a Belkin case for it

Am planing on getting the air 2 but 1st I want two see what Apple dos with it

Last edited:

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I have an iPad 4 and it does everything I need to do with it fine. A little heavy but that don't bother me

I wish apple gos back two the old ipad look like the iPad 4 is the screen on the iPad 4 is vary strong. The screen on the iPad Air feels like if you drop it can break vary easy I hop when iPad Air 2 comes out they make the screen this like the iPad 4.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Am about two go down and pick up a ipad 4 but is the ipad 4 a good still a good ipad in 2014? I had a ipad air and I refuse two buy one when I had the air at one time it filt like the srceen was going two break that srceen is so weak the ipad 4 srceen is strong I may upgrade two ipad air 2 later but will keep the 4th for now

Get it. It'll be fine. Upgrade it in 2 years.

An iPad is an iPad. I would prefer thinner and lighter, but if you don't care about it, get the heavy one. It'll be just as good. For everyday use, you won't notice a bit of difference.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I wish apple gos back two the old ipad look like the iPad 4 is the screen on the iPad 4 is vary strong. The screen on the iPad Air feels like if you drop it can break vary easy I hop when iPad Air 2 comes out they make the screen this like the iPad 4.
The solution is not to use thicker glass like the older iPads, the solution is to use a laminated display.
Thinner glass is not necessarily more fragile either, it can be more flexible and less likely to break.

I wouldn't go back to an older iPad after owning the Air. The weight difference is significant.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I think iPads are only going to get thinner. You should just get used to the feel -- the Air may feel more delicate than the 4, but it really isn't. Put it in a case, and it'll be fine.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Irrelevant about screens breaking. Just put it on this

New-Arrival-SPIGEN-SGP-Case-For-iPad-Mini-1-2-For-iPad-air-5-Retina-Tough.jpg

The only reason my iPhone 4s still lives in my wife's hand is because of tough armor. She has dropped that phone hard many many times. The only crack is at the back of the case itself.

And it doesn't make it much thicker either.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would say go for it. It's still capable. That's the good thing about Apple Devices they remain usable for a long time. My ipod touch 5th generation is still perfectly usable even though it's running on 2011 specs. Of course my ipad air is a bit snappier but my touch is fine. The iPad 4 is likely to see ios 9 so it will keep you going for at least 2 years.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I have 2 iPad 4 and they work just fine, I mean... what else are you going to do with an iPad? just silly applications. You are not going to render or do 3D with it. Both I have are 32 GB of ram, I have all the applications I need and still a lot of space.

Actually, when I see a good apple product I wait for it to be discontinued and buy it cheaper. I have done that with the Powerbooks many times as well with the iMacs.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I would say go for it. It's still capable. That's the good thing about Apple Devices they remain usable for a long time. My ipod touch 5th generation is still perfectly usable even though it's running on 2011 specs. Of course my ipad air is a bit snappier but my touch is fine. The iPad 4 is likely to see ios 9 so it will keep you going for at least 2 years.

Which is why I refuse to buy one, even though it would be perfect for my son. Had to go android instead of paying the $ for such ancient(tech years) tech. Same for the :apple:TV, I refuse to buy a single core A5 on a machine that will be updated. I went Chromecast instead.

There is obviously an understanding with Apple, that you do not chase specs. But sorry, I refuse to buy REALLY old tech.

Having said that, I would happily buy the iPAD 4, because I KNOW it will be brought along to iOS8 and iOS9. But like the iPod Touch 4th gen, apple could be selling old product, and then simply dismiss it from the iOS roadmap a few short months later.

----------

I have 2 iPad 4 and they work just fine, I mean... what else are you going to do with an iPad? just silly applications. You are not going to render or do 3D with it. Both I have are 32 GB of ram, I have all the applications I need and still a lot of space.

Actually, when I see a good apple product I wait for it to be discontinued and buy it cheaper. I have done that with the Powerbooks many times as well with the iMacs.
If only. Then my safari would not be constantly reloading with only 2 tabs and no other apps running.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This got back. With iPad 4. You can not buy a iPad 4. At walmart. For $349 wish was 399 349 is a vary good buy I all so got a Belkin case for it

Am planing on getting the air 2 but 1st I want two see what Apple dos with it

Awesome, enjoy it :)
I'm also waiting for the iPad Air 2, for now enjoying my iPad 4 LTE, welcome to the club.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
As always with previous models of devices the PRICE is the main piece of the puzzle. For a great deal and the right price the 4 is a fine unit. I bought the wifey a refurbished one about six months ago and it's perfect for her.

Too many people here get all bent out of shape about buying previous gen devices. They don't stop working when the new ones come out. C'mon, folks! Lighten up!

There are plenty of iPad 2 devices still plugging along just fine. ;)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
As always with previous models of devices the PRICE is the main piece of the puzzle. For a great deal and the right price the 4 is a fine unit. I bought the wifey a refurbished one about six months ago and it's perfect for her.

Too many people here get all bent out of shape about buying previous gen devices. They don't stop working when the new ones come out. C'mon, folks! Lighten up!

There are plenty of iPad 2 devices still plugging along just fine. ;)

All that is true BUT if i'm going to drop $299 on a discounted iPad 4 with the imminent release of the new product. I'd say wait because you are buying a current model and there's no trade up price by waiting 2-3 months.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City

I agree with you on the iPad Air feel compared to the previous generations. I had Air for few days and returned it because I could not stand the cheapness of it.
If you are set to get iPad 4, I would highly recommend to get iPad 4 refurbished from apple.com. For $299 it is a great deal over any promotion you will ever find at any retail stores.

LemPh

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
A little heavy to me but it works pretty well.
Totally satisfied. I really love the Air but the size doesn't justify the change :)
I prefer having a 32GB Cellular iPad 4 instead of a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad Air :rolleyes:

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
If you don't mind having older technology, then go for it.

If you are one of those people that prefers or NEEDS to have new tech the moment it comes out....then wait.

It depends on how you use it.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I would only buy it if you can get it refurb/good price on it. I love my 4 and wouldn't upgrade for a while but it will eventually crap out further down and the air will inevitably "last longer" in terms of support. (I upgraded from iPad 2 for retina display because reading on it is what i do most)

If buying new, go for the air in terms of specs. (I think for the 16, it's only $100 difference for A7, 64 bit, M7 and one additional year of updates) That being said, if all you do is minor office stuff, the $100 savings is better and in that case, the 4 is good.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
I love my iPad 4, it does every thing you need it to do.
I got it refurbed from the apple store its brand new.
Check out the prices on apples site for refurbed iPad and iPad air
If I was buying one now I would buy the air or Waite for the air 2'
But the 4 is awesome only complant its a little heavy.
It was heavier. Then my trans former tablet

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
If these savings are substantial, I would go with the 4. The 4 will do well if you keep iOS 7 running on it. I'd wait to upgrade to 8, just to see what others say about that upgrade.
I guess it really all depends on if you can afford the newer tech, then of course go with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.