Is iPad Pro a Laptop replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AstroDrew, Nov 13, 2015.

?

Is iPad Pro a Laptop killer?

1. Yea, it's a laptop killer.

26.1%
  2. Not yet, it needs more power.

22.4%
  3. No, it will never be a laptop killer.

51.5%
  1. AstroDrew macrumors regular

AstroDrew

For those who own an iPad Pro right now. Do you think that the Pro can replace a laptop at its current state? Does it have the potential to be a laptop killer in the future? Apple advertise the Pro as a professional tool, I'm curious if it does have the it factor.

I use my ipad 3 everyday at work. Mostly using business applications but from time to time I also use it to open and edit words and excel document, answer emails and sometime process transactions. I find it convinient at time because I'm in different location in the building at time. However, if the task needs extensive work I end up going back to my office and do my work on my PC.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Depends on what you currently use a laptop for - obviously it replaces it for some and others need a traditional laptop.

3. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Can your iPad replace your laptop?

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

If you have a desktop and a laptop, this could definitely replace your laptop.

Mouse capability would definitely enable it to replace most laptops, especially MacBooks (considering price).

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It replaces my rMBP in the sense that it's something I can carry around on a day to day basis to complete my basic computing tasks. I wouldn't get rid of my MacBook outright, but I won't be carrying it around like I used to. The big screen of the iPP combined with it's speed makes it something that can easily take the place of my laptop for most things.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

No, not it could not replace my laptop. iOS is not a replacement for OS X.

7. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

You need another option : No, it needs more capable software

8. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Pat. I'm just talking about the Pro here. My 2011 iPad 3 definitely is can not replace the function and speed of my laptop. But since the Pro is somewhat advertised for professional use one can only wonder if it will ever render the PC obsolete.

9. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Thanks Poochi. However, I think the "Not yet, it needs more power" covers it. I try to generalize it as it still needs both hardware and software needs.

10. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Hardware benchmarked at equivalent of core i5 with single core way faster. I don't think much can be done on the hardware front at this time.

11. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think you took 'your' a bit too literally.

12. ke-iron macrumors 65816

This could definitely replace a laptop but there are still problems like some websites not updated to work properly on tablets. Websites like school, cuny and gov websites are always slow to update their web technologies to work properly with newer devices. It's such a pain in the ass to deal with some parts of cuny and school websites on this thing. These things are so out dated in terms of proper compatibility it makes you even wonder if the security is up to date smh.

13. Poochi, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Here is another thought, I rather have a desktop now iPad being so powerful. So in that sense.... iPad killed laptops.

iPad Pro won't make PC obsolete until the day either it can run my favourite PC games or I got bored of PC gaming.

14. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Yes..and I'm talking about pro version. Can it replace your laptop?

15. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

Not QUITE yet although it will certainly be my main device for Word/PowerPoint/web surfing/media which is what I'd use my laptop for 90% of the time.

I'd still need my MacBook Pro for storing my expansive music library. I basically use it as the worlds most expensive hard drive lol

16. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

No, it can never. Both has it's own purpose and function. However, changing your habits or way of doing thing may allow you to solely survive with just an iPad, iPhone or anything. Is it the habits that count.

17. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Excel on iPad touch interface is just too painful, especially with inability to fetch multiple files and switch between files with "keyboard shortcuts"...

18. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Poll is incorrect in my opinion. It's not that it needs more power, it needs more capability.

As an owner of the iPad Pro, the limitations are software based. The file system. Apps not utilizing the full screen properly. And all the limitations in iOS discussed in these forums.

19. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I still want mouse support and full version of office application and finder ported to iPad Pro. Then I could ditch desktop/laptop for 99% of work.. Except for proper PC gaming.

While at it... Port XCode and full version of photoshop...

20. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

As I said this is due to the way the app was designed, it was designed in such a way the old computer habit still linger.

To truly use the iPad as a laptop. All the apps must be redesigned. Human habit also need to change.

21. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

I don't know because I don't have one - that's why I'm asking those who have the Pro currently. Hence my original post "For those who have an iPad Pro right now".

22. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

It will never ever replace my macbook pro - because iOS9 won't cut it for me. No matter whatever they bring. But for simple things, like watch movies, browsing, writing. Its super nice.

23. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

I think uou have apoint here Seasurfer. Laptop's been in existence since the late 70's and became popular and affordable in the 90's and it became a cultural phenomenon. People got used to the PC type computer, plenty $ were spent for R&D in developing laptop that can cater to the need and demand of people.

The iPad is marketed as a tablet, and Apple's insistance that their product is a revolutionary product because it's a different category limits them from making it a capable device to replace the laptop. Microsoft Surface is on the right track by making it a hybrid device, the problem is Microsoft are a little less imagintive. Apple is much more capable - they just need to swallow some of their pride.

24. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Well...you didn't say you had it or not have it. You just plainly asked for those who have it.

25. Robstevo macrumors 6502

The hardware can, the software is still watered down and mobile thought. Easy fix for Apple but not sure if they are even sure what direction they want the iPad to go in.