Is iPad2 a lemon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HardLuckStories, Apr 14, 2011.

1. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

I know its usually only the defects that get reported however it would seem the new iPad is a bit of a lemon. Poorly manafactured using the lowest cost lowest quality components.

I'm left feeling quite unsatisfied with the Apple experience this time around, on my 2nd pad still with defects but tolerating as realize this is now the level of quality Apple is at.

My MacBook Air on the other hand very satisfied, very high quality product and defect free, and as I recall this goes for the majority of them when released. As was my iPad 1 for that matter, in fact any Apple product i've owned has been a pleasure.

Anyone else thinking the same? Left disatisfied but tolerant?

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Nope. Quite satisfied. Have a bit of light bleeding at the bottom of my iPad2, but I also have light bleed on one of my LCD TV's and my MBP. Only way I can see it though is if I am on an all black screen, with the room lights off and my light set to 50% or higher. I'm sure if I were to scrutinze more of my electronics I would find this in more of them. To me, this is a non-issue.

Everything else on my iPad is perfect.

But if you think that Apple is the only company to use cheap labor and parts from China, Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, Vietnam, etc... I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Far from a lemon. They just need to stop Using yellow super glue on their products and excercise better QC.
    Stop trying to upgrade every year and make a solid product that can last a couple years before being out dated. Stop skimping us!!

Apple used to make things that last like my G5 Dual 1.8.

4. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Lowest quality components???
    If that was the case, the iPad wouldn't have a single piece anodized aluminum backing; instead it would be cheap plastic like all the other tablets out there.it would also be thicker.
    Second, the display would be as bad as the Samsung's Tablet. Instead of glass, it would be plastic or some cheap and easy to scratch clear surface.
    If you were referring to the cameras, well... Apple is not charging extra for them, and are mainly ment for FaceTime and casual photo/video taking. What about the Dual-Core Processor and enhanced graphics included also at non extra charge ( when compared to the iPad1)?

Apple devices are noticed for their great quality components and great looks.
    Any quality issues reported are mainly caused by the rushed manufacturing process.

The only thing I don't like is the use of glue to hold the glass on the iPad2. But it was necessary to use it in order to reduce the thickness of the device. The high demand of the product has prompt the manufacturer to ship the units without allowing the gluemto dry completely, causing yellow tinted displays and loose glass. True, Apple needs to take care of these issues, but the device itself doesn't feel cheap at all.

It's a mixed feeling. A little upset about the yellow tinting a light bleed but overall, still happy.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Could you please list those defects that you are experiencing?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Lowest quality components? Really?

Electronics aren't always perfect, not even when pumped out by the utopia we know as Apple.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I have the iPad 2, It works perfectly. The only thing I can think of that may be considered a "defect" by some of the more OCD apple fanatics on here is a tiny amount of light bleed when you turn the brightness up to the retina burning level in a completely black room.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

This thread should pick up a gun and shoot itself!

9. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

10. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

i consider myself fortunate. i am not experiencing the same issue that have been repeatedly bantered about on these board.

i am sorry things are not working out for you. hopefully the concept of lower quality is not the road :apple: is heading down...

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

12. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Simple answer: No.

Slightly less simple answer: No, it's just the OCD behaviour of the more, uh, committed Apple purchasers showing through. This happens more and more these days (remember the hysteria over *shudder* antennagate? Blown out of all proportion) and it just gets in the way of those with genuine issues finding help and advice.

13. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

If this is a lemon, then I must be addicted to lemonade!

14. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

As is usually the case, the opinions expressed on Macrumors do not equate to the experience of the vast majority of Apples customers.

As an example, I estimate that less than 1% of iPad owners visit this site, ever.
    Also people usually only post when they have an issue, not when everythings perfect.

Macrumors is a microcosm and, out in the wider, less Apple obsessed, world the VAST majority of Apples customers, iPad or otherwise, are perfectly happy.

15. xraytech macrumors 68020

+1

16. jddar macrumors regular

jddar

No. Mine surely isn't. By far, it's the best electronic device I've ever had.

17. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Thing is though, both my iPad 1s exhibit no issues but I'm now waiting for my 4th iPad 2. The previous three have all had bad backlight bleeding. I haven't had similar return issues to this extent with other Apple products.

There *is* a widespread problem with the iPad 2 and you dont have to be an obsessive to see it.

18. synagence macrumors 6502a

How can they?
    They're in the most competitive segments of consumer electronics; cellphones, tablets and notebooks.

They've got a myriad of other manufacturers ramping up specs and features .... Apple is a single company although i must admit that Apple is seemingly starting to show signs of strain with the rumoured delayed iPhone5, tight supply constraints on iPad2 (exacerbated by Japan)..... iOS is starting to feel dated but still has the most thriving market of devs and best API's and performance of Graphics it seems thankfully, they're missing the MobileMe online strategy since they pulled it from shelves.

Apple has oodles of cash in the bank but that doesn't mean you can just ramp up teams without limit and maintain focus..... I think the next 12 months will be interesting to watch for Apple fans.... they'll either blow us out of the water with a radical reimagining of iOS etc or possibly lose cohesion of products.

Still a fan though as i think they're the company that can still produce amazing things that we don't expect

19. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

If that were really the case (other than some new-model teething troubles) then this would be all over the mainstream press what with the iPads massive media exposure.
    Thing is, outside of this forum, I`ve hardly seen mention of problems with it, and certainly nothing to indicate it`s a lemon.

Sorry you`ve had such bad luck with yours.

20. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Well, there's a 40 page long thread on Apple's own discussion forums too. I'm not even saying it's a majority of iPad 2s (although for me it obviously feels like it) but there are a lot of people affected.

I'm not the only one to have been uncommonly unlucky with muliple iPads exhibiting the issue either.

A US friend of mine was over for dinner on Friday. When he went to the loo I looked at his iPad and saw it had backlight bleed. I didn't have the heart to tell him when he came back (why bother him with it?).

I think there are lots of people who don't know or don't care about the problem, but that doesn't mean it's not there or that it's not an issue for many people.

21. xraytech macrumors 68020

I would wager even less. As of today there are 563,892 active members on MacRumors. Contrast that to iPad 2 sales which is estimated at 2.5 million.

MacRumors is a forum for the very vocal minority.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you take the time to research the forum, you'd see that "light bleed" is a frequent complaint after virtually every iOS-device launch.

23. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

+1