Is iPhone 6 Gold really that unpopular?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theMaccer, Sep 16, 2014.

1. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

It is the Gold 64GB version. Most stores in my area are still showing 9/19 pickup available.

Attached Files:

2. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

3. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I sure wouldn't want a tacky looking gold phone, would you?

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's definitely less popular compared to the better looking Gold 5s.

The least popular kid on the block last year (Space Gray) is most popular this year.

5. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Apple doesn't make tacky looking products.

For all their faults, tacky products isn't one of them.

6. bueller1 macrumors 6502

You can't make these judgements without holding the phones. I used to think my iPhone 5 was cheap and incomplete looking with the glass panes. Til it was delivered. Thought the Gold 5S was hideous in pics too.

7. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Google search "gold is tacky"... almost all of the front page results are about the Gold iPhone.

8. cathyy macrumors 6502a

HAH.

You obviously haven't seen the prices they are going for in HK.

Hint: The first digit is a 3.

9. mookgiants macrumors member

I still wish they would make a black bezel with gold back. I hate the white bezel

10. GageJP1 macrumors newbie

11. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Yep.

Exactly.

You just showed why you're judging the phone based on thinking dating back to the 80s and 90s. Gold is tacky. Because everyone wore it in the 70s and lemmings repeat it sans consideration.

Then rappers etc latched onto it in the golden age of hip hop.

None of that means Apple's champagne gold iPhone 6's are tacky or that they look tacky.

They plainly don't. If they were gold-plated then absolutely yes they would look tacky as hell. But they're not. They look nothing like a gold or gold-plated phone.

12. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Black bezel, silver back. Like the original. Don't know why they haven't done it yet, best combo.

Agreed. I would never buy anything with a white bezel for that reason. it is a bit girly and stands out too much. But theres no denying they look great.

13. mxidis88 macrumors member

mxidis88

I happily ordered the gold 64gb 6. It's really just a personal taste thing. I assume apple produced a whole lot more of the gold models based on the demand for the gold 5s last year and the lack of availability. They may have mis judged the actual demand this year.

Apple: "we had demand for 2million gold iPhone 5s's last year on launch weekend and only demand for 1 million apiece of the other models. We should make gold ones at a 2:1 ratio for the 6."

Doesnt necessarily mean more people are buying one or the other(because we don't have those numbers) just means Apple still has them to sell.

14. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Actually, I ordered the gold iPhone 6 and I pretty excited. Prior I had the white iPhone 4S, and currently the space grey 5S. So I am going back to a white faced phone only this time with some gold on the back :)

15. theMaccer thread starter macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I agree. I think Apple mis-judged the demand for gold this time. Personally, I really dont dis-like the Gold that much.

I ordered the Space Grey. I like the stealthy look.

16. Hexaea macrumors member

Hexaea

Ordered a gold 6+. I think it's rather chic, myself.

17. RafixPhoenix macrumors regular

18. wxman2003 Suspended

Don't worry, the gold will sell, when that's all that will be available in the stores by Monday. :D

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I'm getting the gold. To be honest i wanted the space gray, because as everyone else i was bias towards that from the advertising with it. But i think all the phones look good, in the gold the bands stand out a bit more but it still looks good.

20. Makala macrumors regular

I wouldn't say the gold of the golden iPhone is really tacky because it's not full on intense gold colour, which is why I like it.

21. flipkid macrumors newbie

Anyone think it'll be possible to pick one up in store on launch day in the afternoon? My gf wants a 64gb 6.

22. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

23. Batman89 macrumors 6502

You should order online and get Store Pick-Up (if possible).

Ordered a gold 64gb for my Mom yesterday and picking it up on Friday.

24. cconant1833 macrumors member

Possibly. I went on my lunch break last year to pick up the 5S at a Verizon store. They still had a lot in stock. I even went back to the store that night around 7PM to get a case and they still had stock! YMMV.

25. Kels1007 macrumors newbie

Kels1007

Did you have to choose a time to pick up or can you get it any time ?? I'm going to be ordering online tomorrow and do in store pick up as well