Is iPhone 6 Gold really that unpopular?

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
You can't make these judgements without holding the phones. I used to think my iPhone 5 was cheap and incomplete looking with the glass panes. Til it was delivered. Thought the Gold 5S was hideous in pics too.

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Google search "gold is tacky"... almost all of the front page results are about the Gold iPhone.
Yep.

Exactly.

You just showed why you're judging the phone based on thinking dating back to the 80s and 90s. Gold is tacky. Because everyone wore it in the 70s and lemmings repeat it sans consideration.

Then rappers etc latched onto it in the golden age of hip hop.

None of that means Apple's champagne gold iPhone 6's are tacky or that they look tacky.

They plainly don't. If they were gold-plated then absolutely yes they would look tacky as hell. But they're not. They look nothing like a gold or gold-plated phone.

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
I still wish they would make a black bezel with gold back. I hate the white bezel
Black bezel, silver back. Like the original. Don't know why they haven't done it yet, best combo.

It is just the most..."feminine" to me
Agreed. I would never buy anything with a white bezel for that reason. it is a bit girly and stands out too much. But theres no denying they look great.

mxidis88

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
I happily ordered the gold 64gb 6. It's really just a personal taste thing. I assume apple produced a whole lot more of the gold models based on the demand for the gold 5s last year and the lack of availability. They may have mis judged the actual demand this year.

Apple: "we had demand for 2million gold iPhone 5s's last year on launch weekend and only demand for 1 million apiece of the other models. We should make gold ones at a 2:1 ratio for the 6."

Doesnt necessarily mean more people are buying one or the other(because we don't have those numbers) just means Apple still has them to sell.

theMaccer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
SoCal
I happily ordered the gold 64gb 6. It's really just a personal taste thing. I assume apple produced a whole lot more of the gold models based on the demand for the gold 5s last year and the lack of availability. They may have mis judged the actual demand this year.

Apple: "we had demand for 2million gold iPhone 5s's last year on launch weekend and only demand for 1 million apiece of the other models. We should make gold ones at a 2:1 ratio for the 6."

Doesnt necessarily mean more people are buying one or the other(because we don't have those numbers) just means Apple still has them to sell.
I agree. I think Apple mis-judged the demand for gold this time. Personally, I really dont dis-like the Gold that much.

I ordered the Space Grey. I like the stealthy look.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Don't worry, the gold will sell, when that's all that will be available in the stores by Monday. :D

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I'm getting the gold. To be honest i wanted the space gray, because as everyone else i was bias towards that from the advertising with it. But i think all the phones look good, in the gold the bands stand out a bit more but it still looks good.

Makala

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I wouldn't say the gold of the golden iPhone is really tacky because it's not full on intense gold colour, which is why I like it.

flipkid

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
Anyone think it'll be possible to pick one up in store on launch day in the afternoon? My gf wants a 64gb 6.

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Anyone think it'll be possible to pick one up in store on launch day in the afternoon? My gf wants a 64gb 6.
You should order online and get Store Pick-Up (if possible).

Ordered a gold 64gb for my Mom yesterday and picking it up on Friday.

cconant1833

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
NY
Possibly. I went on my lunch break last year to pick up the 5S at a Verizon store. They still had a lot in stock. I even went back to the store that night around 7PM to get a case and they still had stock! YMMV.

Kels1007

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
You should order online and get Store Pick-Up (if possible).

Ordered a gold 64gb for my Mom yesterday and picking it up on Friday.
Did you have to choose a time to pick up or can you get it any time ?? I'm going to be ordering online tomorrow and do in store pick up as well