Is iPhone 6s still good enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ambreaux405, Sep 22, 2016.

1. ambreaux405 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    I'm pretty much team android and Windows pc, but I love technology so this is one of my favorite sites to frequent.
    Anyway I am not super impressed with the Android phones lately. I was about to get note 7 and then the whole battery recall happened. I am thinking about trying an iPhone. I will likely wait and see what happens with Google and the rumored pixel phone, but haven't been impressed by what I've heard so far.
    I am on the fence about whether to get 6s plus or wait for 7 plus. Is the difference huge? I can survive without headphone jack so that's no issue for me.
    Also, I have no feet at all in the Apple ecosystem. Is iPhone still a good choice for those like me who have windows pc and Android laptop?
    I know this is an iPhone forum, so no need to talk me into an iPhone. I'm set on trying one. Just getting opinions on if the 6s plus is what I should get, or if the 7 is so much better that it will justify the wait to find one and the extra cost.
    Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    Sorry I meant android tablet, not laptop. Oops!

2. Black Magic, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

6s is still a fantastic pick up. If you want the best camera, better display, and a little more battery life, go with the 7.

Oh and don't be surprised if this iPhone experience leads to you buying a MacBook and a iPad. The technology integration and ecosystem are top shelf!

3. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

I returned 7 plus and keeping 6s plus. For me i dont think its worth it plus big problems like bluetooth car audio is a deal breaker. Dont see much difference in camera. Stereo speaker is cool so is home button. Thats about it not worth upgrading for me.

4. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Yea, I didn't feel a desire to upgrade from my 6s also. Just wasn't that compelling of an update.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What's your general usage?

For us, we use our phones for calling, texting and emailing with some light web browsing. An iPhone 3GS is entirely capable of that (we have the 6s and 6s+).

But if you use your phone for heavy browsing, video/music streaming and playing games then you'll probably want the 6s or 7. The 6s is entirely capable though.

As far as the Apple ecosystem…there are many ways around this. Google has iOS apps and it's stock features such as Contacts, Calendars, etc are supported on the iPhone natively. Just depends what you need.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

until you go in store and get that upgrade fever :)

Don't need the 7
    Don't need series 2 AW

=/ I fail at holding out.

7. iFalcon macrumors regular

I did have the 7 on preorder. However, located a mint black 6s 64g on Craigslist for 300. It was just too hard to pass up. I can always upgrade later without loosing money.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Both would suit your needs. Many of the perks and advantages of iPhone do involve it being part of the broader ecosystem though, so understand that.

The 7 is a good phone. The 6S is a good phone. It comes down to the latest and greatest or saving a few hundred bucks.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

In before "why would I ever trust anything to google?" Comments. ;)

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. :D

If Google wants to know when Audrey Meadows got married or when the Jackie Gleason show started or wants the phone number to my dentist…ok.

And if they read my email they will just choke on the spam or my "Your Rx is ready" emails.

I use Google for less than personal stuff. All the really important stuff is in my head.

11. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Did you ever do that recommendation I made a long time ago about tweaking all notifications for your apps so that you filter out all the noise and only get notified on important stuff? Really does help a ton and make the phone experience so much better.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes I did. But it was more of a double-checking type thing.

There are only specific apps I allow to show notifications. Most of the spam I get is from a different account though that I routinely trawl through for the 'Unsubscribe' links. I have about 10-20 different email accounts for different purposes (not all go to my phone) and Google is just one of them.

13. ambreaux405 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. So maybe I should go all in and get the iPad and the MacBook too? :)

14. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I'd wait until after you tried an iPhone and make that decision unless you got money to throw around. :)

15. ambreaux405 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a public school teacher. I have more money than I know what to do with lol. Oh how I wish that were true...

16. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

If you are stating out fresh I would get the iPhone 7. It's the newest. For those who already had the 6s the upgrade is not worth it to some. For me it was. But if you don't have a iPhone I would suggest getting the latest model. Unless your looking to save money. If that's the case then yes get the 6 s. it's still a great device.

17. newellj macrumors 601

The 6S is still a great phone, but if you're buying new, it isn't that much less expensive than the 7 and you're buying a tech device that's already a year old and therefore probably has a year less running time with future updates. If I currently owned a 6S I wouldn't upgrade, but if I were buying new I'd definitely buy a 7.

18. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

iPhone 6s is a very fast and capable phone but main improvements with the 7 are:
    -Water resistance (6s has some unofficial water resistance, but the 7 will survive a dunk in the pool/sink/toilet)
    -Camera improvements (better low light performance plus optical zoom and other effects in the plus thanks to dual cameras)
    -Improved battery life (more of a big deal in the non plus models though)
    -Faster processor (although the A9 in the 6s is already super fast, so unless you are a heavy gamer or like running benchmarks all the time you probably won't notice the difference).
    -Brighter wider gamut screen
    -Stereo speakers
    -Improved aesthetics thanks to the antenna redesign, plus new black color options

If I needed a phone at the moment I'd pick a 7 over the 6s, but since I already have a 6s the improvements aren't really enough for me to justify the upgrade this year (especially with what we pay for iPhones up in Canada).

19. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

LMAO! I would go with just the iPhone then. Probably the 6s since it is cheaper now.

20. nordique, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

nordique macrumors 6502a

6s is more than good enough

Some people prefer it to the 7, others prefer the new hotness that is the 7

the A9 is still powerful and still one of the best chips on the market. The A10 is like a turbo charged A9 (same process, sam, 7 has the same RAM, same resolution screen, both have a taptic engine (though a slightly older but similar feeling one in the 6s), battery life that gets you through a day (with my usage anyway it is fine), very similar cameras save for relatively better low level lighting in the 7, similar design and same feel in hand, both have 2nd gen touch ID and both have very fast WiFi and LTE speeds....7 has better speakers and water resistance but no headphone jack which is subjectively worse or better, and a home button that is either subjectively worse or better....

Its really up to you; you're getting 90-95% the same experience with the 6s as you will with the 7, unless you foresee yourself submerging you iPhone for long periods of time. 6s has some basic water resistance as well, for what its worth (it is much more water resistant than any previous iPhone was, but limited compared to the iPhone 7)

Both run identical on iOS 10 as well, from my usage....identical.

So keep that in mind...since a "slower" experience is generally the main reason people update their phones...I have been running tests side by side since a few days after the 7 launched and it is remarkable how identical they run and how quickly they both open up majority of the apps. You won't notice any difference in the apps that most of us use our phones for: Phone calls, text messages, checking mail, checking weather, Safari, social media apps, calendar management, etc...

iOS 10 also has faster animations which helps make the 6s "feel" faster than it did on iOS 9, and it ran buttery smooth on iOS 9 this past year.

If you're just getting a new phone to tide you over until next year, I say go with the 6s, but if you're going to keep it for a while, might as well go with the latest model especially if the loss of a headphone jack doesn't mean diddly squat to you.

If you go with the 7, give the home button about a week to get used to...I didn't like it at all initially but now I have come to like it.

I still prefer a mechanical button to it though but I cannot deny how much faster it is than a mechanical button.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    Fantastic post right here.

21. Fosty Suspended

Fosty

The question you should ask yourself is whether more memory on a 6s for the price is more worthwhile for you than less memory and some minor improved features. Personally I'd rather have 6s and 128gigs of space for the base price of a 7 with 32gb. And regardless of whether you can deal with the loss of the headphone jack - why would you want to?

Whichever you go with I would recommend you buy from Apple and purchase the Applecare protection for minimal hassle if you should have any troubles in the future.

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You shouldn't have to wait that long before the 7+ is widely available. But, if you absolutely want to buy now, you won't do wrong getting the 6s+. It's pretty amazing even after one year.

Im enjoying my 7+, but it wouldn't be a problem if I had to go back to my 6s+.

23. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I have a 6s now and wanted a slightly larger display because I tend to just use my phone for more text intensive things like reading/browsing/texting/email and video. That made me want the 7+ just to have more screen real estate. The better camera was a bonus as well since I do take a lot of photos with it. My only other camera is a Nikon D810 right now and, well... it's a beast to lug around. It's definitely not a camera I want to carry unless I have a reason to do so. The slightly better battery life should be nice as well.

As far as a need... I definitely don't feel like I need to upgrade at all. The 6s is not slow at all. I have honestly never thought "Man, I need a faster phone." It just keeps up with everything I need. You'd be perfectly fine with it for another couple years if you wanted.

I literally only upgrade every year because by the time the new iphone launches I have to make a single payment on the device of about $36 and my bill doesn't change at all. If it cost any more I would probably just keep the 6s for a while longer.

24. mazdamiata210 Suspended

Go with the 6S+ you won't be disappointed... However, if your phone comes on iOS 9 keep it there until the 10 update gets a few bug fixes. I think of the 7 as a lateral move instead of an upgrade. It's different for the sake of being different, but the 6S/+ out perform it in some tests and even blow it away in others.