is iphone considered a FAD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Jan 10, 2014.

?

is iphone considered a FAD?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    90.4%
  1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A fad does not last 7 years or change the entire industry

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

By the above definition, I can't see how iPhone can even be considered a "fad"...if for no other reason than the longevity of it's existence alone.

Edit: Oops, late again. Sorry for the redundancy!

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Actually blackberry changed the industry, and made it possible for iPhone to succeed.

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Blackberries weren't a fad either.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So they released a phone that had no keyboard, great web browser, run apps, listen to music and was visually stunning?

While I will say BB did change the industry, it was limited to emails and their keyboard. That does not preclude any other company from altering the landscape as Apple did. The phones of 7 years ago were either flip phones, slider phones or BlackBerries. Apple turned everything on their ear

7. Bear macrumors G3

*blink* How does that work?

The Blackberry may have changed the industry when it was released, but the iPhone has changed the industry way more than that.

8. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

that's EXACTLY what i told him..

----------

key term is the length.. if its short term, it's a fad. if it stays (like the iphone) it was never a FAD to begin with. thanks Shrink, i should listen to u huh since ur a shrink. LOL. :cool:

9. I7guy macrumors G5

Okay we are all saying the same thing. Blackberry paved way showing how important it is to have a reliable communications device. iPhone incorporated graphics. While it's clear apple took a chance for a phone without a keyboard all of this would not have been possible without blackberry. Like windows took the research at Xerox and took it to the next level.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Told who?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. At this point, I don't see how anyone can consider the iPhone a fad.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seriously?
    Can you perhaps tell me what else you consider a fad? Blue jeans perhaps, UGGs, the all in one iMac?

13. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Yes, iPhone will never take off.... Wait, what?!

14. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Do the two people (this far) who voted 'yes' not have any generation of the iPhone? :D

15. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

More people own iPhones than any other single brand of smartphone; not a fad.

Android only beats apple in market share because there are 50,000 android models out there, and 6-8 iPhone models ever. Besides when you give out something for free (android OS) there will always be more of them.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's a weird question to ask after 7 years of the iPhone. Do people not think?

17. apprunner macrumors regular

iPhone created a mobile applications ecosystem that benefited everyone. Been in the mobile industry a loooong time and most agree that the single most influential device has been the iPhone....by FAR.

18. I7guy, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

I7guy macrumors G5

Ill pit my experts against your experts it's generally acknowledged blackberry paved the way. It changed the landscape of corporate America. As far as influence yes it took a while for the iPhone to influence the graphical nature mobile devices. I think blackberry ecosystem although not as deep is generally better as I can install any app without a jailbreak.

19. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I'm not sure why this is even a question. But to answer, no not by a long shot. Not only has the iPhone change the way we communicate it has also change the way we socialize.

----------

For the younger generation it was a fad just like having a Nextel 2way chirp

20. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Well, in my profession, when I see FAD in all capital letters, I think "Flea Allergy Dermatitis", so my answer is - no.

21. apprunner macrumors regular

Blackberry ecosystem? Has to be a joke. At this point, its completely irrelevant to the industry and is at the brink of complete failure. Wanna see which ecosystem won....look at the market cap. Very simple metric of success.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I'm not familiar with the acronym FAD. What does it mean?

23. I7guy macrumors G5

Blackberry as whole wins for better ecosystem. Apple wins for most popular. Period. The only reason I have an iPhone is Z30 is too big for me.

I wonder what would have happened Microsoft hadn't infused apple with some cash.

24. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

thanks guys for the responses... yea i was talking to my coworker this morning and his point is that iphones is a fad. LOL

25. apprunner macrumors regular

Blackberry is dead. A BIG reason they are are dying is no developer support...if you haven't noticed, popular is GOOOOOD for a thriving ecosystem :rolleyes:

Z30 is too big...get a Z10...exactly the same size as an iPhone. Too bad their old OS outsells their new one. :D

Its a two horse race now and they are not named Microsoft or Blackberry.