Votes: 66 90.4%

• Total voters

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
fad |fad|
noun
an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, esp. one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze:
By the above definition, I can't see how iPhone can even be considered a "fad"...if for no other reason than the longevity of it's existence alone.

Edit: Oops, late again. Sorry for the redundancy!

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Actually blackberry changed the industry, and made it possible for iPhone to succeed.
So they released a phone that had no keyboard, great web browser, run apps, listen to music and was visually stunning?

While I will say BB did change the industry, it was limited to emails and their keyboard. That does not preclude any other company from altering the landscape as Apple did. The phones of 7 years ago were either flip phones, slider phones or BlackBerries. Apple turned everything on their ear

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
A fad does not last 7 years or change the entire industry
that's EXACTLY what i told him..

----------

By the above definition, I can't see how iPhone can even be considered a "fad"...if for no other reason than the longevity of it's existence alone.

Edit: Oops, late again. Sorry for the redundancy!
key term is the length.. if its short term, it's a fad. if it stays (like the iphone) it was never a FAD to begin with. thanks Shrink, i should listen to u huh since ur a shrink. LOL. :cool:

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
*blink* How does that work?

The Blackberry may have changed the industry when it was released, but the iPhone has changed the industry way more than that.
Okay we are all saying the same thing. Blackberry paved way showing how important it is to have a reliable communications device. iPhone incorporated graphics. While it's clear apple took a chance for a phone without a keyboard all of this would not have been possible without blackberry. Like windows took the research at Xerox and took it to the next level.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
Do the two people (this far) who voted 'yes' not have any generation of the iPhone? :D

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
More people own iPhones than any other single brand of smartphone; not a fad.

Android only beats apple in market share because there are 50,000 android models out there, and 6-8 iPhone models ever. Besides when you give out something for free (android OS) there will always be more of them.

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Okay we are all saying the same thing. Blackberry paved way showing how important it is to have a reliable communications device. iPhone incorporated graphics. While it's clear apple took a chance for a phone without a keyboard all of this would not have been possible without blackberry. Like windows took the research at Xerox and took it to the next level.
iPhone created a mobile applications ecosystem that benefited everyone. Been in the mobile industry a loooong time and most agree that the single most influential device has been the iPhone....by FAR.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iPhone created a mobile applications ecosystem that benefited everyone. Been in the mobile industry a loooong time and most agree that the single most influential device has been the iPhone....by FAR.
Ill pit my experts against your experts it's generally acknowledged blackberry paved the way. It changed the landscape of corporate America. As far as influence yes it took a while for the iPhone to influence the graphical nature mobile devices. I think blackberry ecosystem although not as deep is generally better as I can install any app without a jailbreak.

Last edited:

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Ill pit my experts against your experts it's generally acknowledged blackberry paved the way. It changed the landscape of corporate America. As far as influence yes it took a while for the iPhone to influence the graphical nature mobile devices. I think blackberry ecosystem although not as deep is generally better as I can install any app without a jailbreak.
Blackberry ecosystem? Has to be a joke. At this point, its completely irrelevant to the industry and is at the brink of complete failure. Wanna see which ecosystem won....look at the market cap. Very simple metric of success.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Blackberry ecosystem? Has to be a joke. At this point, its completely irrelevant to the industry and is at the brink of complete failure. Wanna see which ecosystem won....look at the market cap. Very simple metric of success.
Blackberry as whole wins for better ecosystem. Apple wins for most popular. Period. The only reason I have an iPhone is Z30 is too big for me.

I wonder what would have happened Microsoft hadn't infused apple with some cash.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
thanks guys for the responses... yea i was talking to my coworker this morning and his point is that iphones is a fad. LOL

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Blackberry as whole wins for better ecosystem. Apple wins for most popular. Period. The only reason I have an iPhone is Z30 is too big for me.

I wonder what would have happened Microsoft hadn't infused apple with some cash.
Blackberry is dead. A BIG reason they are are dying is no developer support...if you haven't noticed, popular is GOOOOOD for a thriving ecosystem :rolleyes:

Z30 is too big...get a Z10...exactly the same size as an iPhone. Too bad their old OS outsells their new one. :D

Its a two horse race now and they are not named Microsoft or Blackberry.