Is iPhone still Apple's marquee product?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cellocello, Sep 9, 2008.

1. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm getting the impression that the iPhone isn't Apple's crown jewel. <snip'd a comment that got panties wound up>

Is the iPhone destined to be "just another" product in Apple's line up? And will we be left to the way-side sooner rather than later?

I mean ... they got us locked in for years at a time - what do they care, right?

Thoughts?

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Apple probably makes a lot more from selling iPods and iTunes music than it does from the iPhone.

And Steve did say the 2.1 iPhone update would be here by Friday.

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

What made you think that?? :confused:

4. FJR macrumors regular

dude, how many apple events over the last couple of years have been devoted primarily to the iPhone (including one just a couple of months ago)? So they had an event that was aimed at iPods. There hasn't been anything major about iPods for a long time (other than the touch).

Every single event doesn't have to be about the iPhone. It was obvious you couldn't make a whole event out of what's happened with iPhone since July 11th.

5. cellocello thread starter macrumors 68000

cellocello

I dunno ... signing the contracts, all that crazy hype last year, that this is was IT. You know - first Mac, then iPod, and now finally iPhone. Steve made is sound like the iPhone *was* the future of Apple, and as owners we'd be riding the wave too.

6. FJR macrumors regular

not to pick nits, but unless Apple is lying, they basically break even on the Itunes store. Its supposedly just a vehicle for driving iPod sales. After they pay for the upkeep of the iTunes store and pay the reocrd labels, there isn't really anything left for apple. But it does "push" tons of people into buying iPods.

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

lol you think the iphone is more important than its mb/mbp/ mac pro/mba etc?

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

What has changed?

9. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

You do realize that Apple also makes computers and other electronic devices, don't you? As much as I love my iPhone, Apple is not just about the iPhone. It can't be updated/improved/featured at every Apple event.

10. cenetti macrumors 6502

I bought a $3800 Mac pro and $3000 macbook air, and I am still not VIP, you think you're just because you bought a $300 iphone?

pffft!

also I have 2 iphones, 1 touch and a nano....Steve should invite me to dinner...

11. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

The future of Apple? The IPhone? Part of the future of Apple, yes. THE future of Apple, well that's crazy. Apples efforts are geared towards selling their latest line of products, no more and no less.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple's 'Crown Jewel' Products:
    iPhone
    iMac
    Macbook Pro

Apple's 'We like you lots' Products:
    Mac Pro
    Macbook
    iPod Touch
    iPod Nano

Apple's "Uh...thanks for shopping" Products:
    iPod Shuffle
    iPod Classic
    Macbook Air
    Apple TV

Apple's "Just buy it and get the hell out" Products:
    Mac Mini
    iPod Socks

13. crsd36 macrumors member

Yeah I guess I wouldn't talk about it either...seeing as how most companies don't like to talk about their shortcomings ;)

14. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

this is a funny thread :D you can always tell which members just joined because they bought an iphone.

to echo what others have said, Apple's bread and butter lies in the iMac, Macbooks/Pros, and iPods. the cellphone industry is way too volatile for Apple to store all their eggs.

15. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

yea i think the mac mini is more important the the shuffle.
    and the mba should be in the 2nd group.
    and mac pro should be in the 1st group.

16. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Ummm...he has had more "special events" with the iPhone than the iPod over the last year and a half.

Just because he only mentions the iPhone firmware update doesn't mean it is any less important. Remember they did just release the 3G less than 2 months ago. Sheesh. Relax brother..you are still a "cool kid" :rolleyes:

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, move the Suffle down to the bottom if you like, but the Mac Mini is exactly where it belongs. Apple has made it very clear that they don't care about it even a little. Remember all the "Mac Mini may be discontinued" rumors? They weren't true, but lots of people BELIEVED that rumor. That should tell you something right there.

I debated these exact same issues with myself. I can see the case for them being in those groups, but also for the one I put them in. Really, I'd put them halfway between your choice and mine. They aren't as clear cut.

18. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

maybe the mba is a harder choice.

but the mac pro should be one of apples most important products, i mean people who develop for mac 'should' be using mac pros right? along with photo editors and movie editors etc? i think thats important to them, but i could be wrong.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ah, but I'm not going by "should" here. I'm going by what they've actually done. The first Intel Mac Pro came out and remained un-changed for 16 months. (Yes, they added an 8 core at the top after a few months, but the rest didn't change. I don't consider that an actual upgrade.)

Think about that for a minute. 16 MONTHS. Obviously, Apple likes their Mac Pro users, but that little fact makes it hard for me to put it in the absolute top category.

20. cenetti macrumors 6502

I don't know if it's the most important or not but I can tell you it's the best of the best.

2 X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8 cores baby)
    16 gb ram
    4TB (4 x 1TB) HDD

and yes, safari is damn snappy...

21. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

we're talking about mp3 players, cell phones and computers here...there is no elite club. if you dont like it sell it, or dont buy it at all.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But that's kind of the problem. It used to be that all professional Mac users NEEDED a PowerMac. There was no question. That was it. iMacs and laptops just weren't suibtable for professional work.

But things have changed. The iMac and Macbook Pro are now more powerful than any G4 PowerMac and just as good as most G5 PowerMacs.

Yes, video editors and software writers still need the top-of-the line equipment. But graphic artists? Photographers? Scientists? For many of them, the iMac or Macbook Pro is good enough.

In other words, the Mac Pro is becoming less important BECAUSE it's so darned powerful! It's more than a lot of people need!

Like I said, some people still need it. It will ALWAYS remain necessary and important. But it will never again enjoy the dominance that the G4 PowerMac had. (Percentage of sales-wise, I mean.)

23. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

What??? I thought iPod Socks were THE crown jewel for Apple??

24. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

He's lying. They are. :)

25. cenetti macrumors 6502

True. But once you use one, you'd never want to go back to macbook pro, or Imac. The performance is like day and night. Mac Pro is the ultimate desktop monster.

Open 30 applications, encode 1080p movie in the background, work on windows partition, all at the same time... not one hiccup...
    Jaw dropping performance...and yes people will always need it...power is a good thing when it comes to computing...