Is it 18 hours including stand by?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by michael31986, May 3, 2015.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

I had my watch at maybe 50 percent last night and left it off charger and by today at 5 pm it is in power reserve. Is the 18 hours even stand by without use?

2. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

It can't be - I've never had a day where I'm anywhere near power reserve. I'm pretty sure Apple based that number on a series of "normal" actions throughout the day. Two of which are workout and phone calls, which really dig into the battery life.

3. Danny80y macrumors member

If it was 50% and you left it off charge for 12h then used it another 12h that's well over 18h at 50% to start.......?

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I used it from 10am to 11pm and then took it off my arm and left it on the counter until around 5pm today, so like i said i am not sure if that is normal? i mean it was at around 50 percent i believe or less by 11pm.

5. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

so i went to bed last night at 11pm and it was at 100 and i unplugged it. now this morning at 9am it is at 82 percent. IS that normal? not sure if things can run in the background?

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Sorry I explained it wrong. I took it off charger that morning at 100% by 11pm it was at 50% or little less. I then left it off charger on counter and next day I picked it up at 5pm and it was on power reserve.

Not sure if the watch uses battery while still off wrist and charger.

7. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Sure, it uses some battery when it's on and not in use. But what you describe is more than 24 hours of "use." You definitely need to charge it every night.

8. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

How is it more than 24 hours?

I woke up Thursday at 9am and used it until 11pm that night it was at 50% by then.

Took it off my wrist no charge and left it on counter.

Friday at 5pm i go to pick it up its on power reserve.

Now sunday night i take it off the charger at 11pm/midnight.

this morning pick it up from the case and its already at 86.

So my question is why does so much drain during standby?

9. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

You're saying that 9 am to 5 pm the following day is not more than 24 hours?

10. leenak macrumors 68020

Just don't do what I did last night, I swore I put it on the charger but must've knocked it off, woke up to a dead watch.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yes, it continues to use the battery even when you aren't wearing it. The 18 hours is from time you take it off the charger until time you put it back on, with heavy use. A little longer if you aren't using it. But the watch doesn't shut down the moment you take it off.

12. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

thats dumb that it continues wasting battery even when off charger. i mean it isn't getting anything pushed to it since I'm not wearing it. dumb

13. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

It still actively maintains a connection with the phone (or looks for the phone if it's not close enough) and that definitely uses power. If you plan to leave it off your wrist and off the charger for long periods of time then I would suggest either putting into power reserve mode (push and hold the communication button, then slide "power reserve" over). This mode turns off nearly all of the functions on the watch and just maintains the time. It will use very little power overnight.

Alternately, you could just power the watch off (push and hold the communication button, then slide "power off" over). This will turn the watch off entirely and use zero power overnight. If you don't need to use the watch to see what time it is overnight this might be a better option.

Of course, you could always just put the watch on the charger overnight too.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Perhaps your superior engineering skill could be of use to Apple. That $775 billion company may not have any good ones.

15. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Sigh. Is it dumb that your phone gradually loses charge when you aren't using it?

If you don't want to charge it WHEN YOU AREN'T WEARING IT, then consider turning it off.

16. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Honestly, I'm tearing my hair out here. What's not to get what mightyjabba is saying in this post?

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

OP thinks "off wrist" means "turned off altogether" so he wasn't counting the "off wrist" time in his calculations. LOL

18. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

AFAIK, on a full charge with a tip-top condition battery, if you immediately put it in standby you are supposed to get 72 hours runtime.

In an average day use it's supposed to be 18 hours runtime in normal operational mode.

I design customer premises equipment platforms, appliances and cluster infrastructures, if I was designing the standby I would shut down the OS and radio devices then go into a power friendly loop for the duration of the standby mode.. guessing Apple did this because you need to restart the watch to get out of it.

Even though the watch isn't use multitasking it's almost certainly got a multitasking Kernel and the constant radio (albeit low power) is going to give some drain so expect 18 hours of constant use then charge. Don't get to 50% and then think you can eek another day off the charge.

19. tivoboy macrumors 68030

standby at night

I regularly put the watch into standby when I go to sleep, then turn it back on in the morning and regularly get two days of usage. including workouts three times a week.

20. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

You could probably do that. But why? Just plug it in at night and always start with a full charge.

21. tivoboy macrumors 68030

overall better

overall reducing cycles and making the ones you do longer is better for battery management..

but somehow I think NONE of us are going to be using THIS watch 2.5-3 years from now

22. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

That may have been true with older styles of battery, but lithium ion batteries don't really care if you discharge them before charging.

23. yogibeartacodog macrumors member

This thread has me thinking, maybe a "Standby when removed from wrist" setting option might be a good idea...

24. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

tbqh - I used my watch for a full 30 hours and still had 8% left (I did sleep for a portion of this time, so no sensors were being utilized for about 6 hours that night). I'm quite impressed with the battery. Sorry, no pics, but it did happen.