Is it a good time to buy a new ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LadyMary, Dec 10, 2008.

1. LadyMary macrumors newbie

Im looking at buying a new ipod touch, Is it a good time to buy now or wait after the January MWSF.

2. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Are you sure that in jan apple is realeasing new ipods

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I wouldn't recommend getting one now.
    Even though the most likely hardware change will only be a 64GB model and software 2.3.
    There may also be a price drop.
    Remember, last year the 32GB was released in February.

4. LadyMary thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not sure if apple is releasing new ipods thats why I started this thread

5. LadyMary thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

6. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Unless you're planning on buying the 64GB model if/when it is released then by all means go out and buy one today. Its very unlikely that there will be a price drop, remember Apple already dropped the price on these things in February. I seriously doubt they're going to put them any closer to the price of the Nano.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

So you think this will be the next iPod touch price point...
    8GB - $229
    16GB - $299
    32GB - $399
    64GB - $499

I highly doubt Apple will sell 4 different models at the same time.
    We just have to see what happens, even if that means waiting.

8. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

That's a good point. I don't think there was any point in time where Apple sold more then 3 models of an iPod. Hmm... maybe they are wiping out the 8gb?

9. LadyMary thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys! I guess I should wait a bit. It might be worth it. Like when I waited for the new aluminum macbook to come out.

My old trusty Ipod is still useful :)

10. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Actually yes. I guess they could either rid themselves of the 8GB but I just don't see them doing that after just releasing it three months ago. I also don't think they're going to drop the prices on any of them because if there were to drop the touch to $170 for example it would kill Nano sales.

Who knows, Apple can do anything, but I'm not holding my breath.

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Ok then...
    8GB - Dropped
    16GB - $229
    32GB - $299
    64GB - $399

I think Apple realized they made a mistake the last time they placed an iPod at $499.

12. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

another $100 price drop ? ahh i wish but very doubtful. They had even better reasons to drop the price in the past because of the iphone...but they didn't lower the price as much as people expected..so for them to do it after christmas with no compelling reason is wishful thinking..

13. three macrumors 6502a

three

The MacWorld 2009 is for Macs, iPods are rarely ever released or even talked about in that conference. I'd recommend buying an iPod touch now.

14. pkagel macrumors regular

I'd be all for buying a 64gb one in February but my car won't charge the dang thing so it's out.

15. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I just purchased an iPod 16GB yesterday from amazon. I just sold my old one so waiting is not an option since I use my iPod all the time.

Even if a new model comes out you can always sell your old one on ebay, they seem to old their value you fairly well for an electronic device.

16. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

well you have to remember, when it first came out it was:

8GB $299
    16GB $399
    then in feb.
    32GB $499

if they will release a 64 it will probably stay the same prices with the 64 at 499:

8GB Dropped
    16GB $299
    32GB $399
    64GB $499
    the original price but higher capacity

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well one of the reasons I don't think the 64GB will be $499 is because I'm predicting the Mac Mini will see a $100 price drop.
    If the 64GB is $499 and the Mini gets a price drop then the two products would be conflicting.
    Nobody would by a 64GB iPod touch when you could get a Mac Mini for the same price, well at least I wouldn't.

Well, then just a month after MacWorld they do.

18. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

No price drop at MWSF. Why? They recently dropped prices and updated. Dropping prices/adding a 64GB cuts their profit margin further. The iPhones cost roughly $150 to produce, that's why they sell them at 500/600 to AT&T, who subsidizes them. Apple is selling these guys at the price you see. There's no middle man, no 2 year contract either. It's very unlikely that a 64GB will be released, because SSD drives (especially tiny ones) increase astronomically in price after a certain point. So what will happen? 2.3/2.4, some demos, announcements of partnerships with companies from the game industry, and if we're lucky, some hints at the future of the ipod/iphone platform.

19. 7racer macrumors regular

you know http://www.scosche.com/ has a product that will fix that right?

20. pkagel macrumors regular

Will it allow me to control the iPhone through this also because this is exactly what I want if it does!!!

21. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

When else would Apple Announce at least a price cut and/or storage bump? MWSF 09 :) of course. Hopefully released in time for my birthday feb 1 :D

22. KawaiKitten macrumors newbie

Never thought I'd say this but you're lucky your b-day is so far away. I'm a new years eve baby and I wont be seeing a price drop before then nless you're counting my b-day next year, and who wants to wait 12 more months for someone to get me what I've been drooling over for ever?
    Anyhoodles, I think that they wont drop the 8gb for the simple fact that it hasn't even been out that long. Why would you drop an almost new item for one that costs twice as much? Pointless if u ask me. But noone did soo... I'll shut up now.:)

23. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

If I recall right, the last time the iPod touch had a storage bump it was not announced before the day it was released, last February.

24. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Okay well at least around february for me is good!

25. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Bought a 32GB myself yesterday-didn't want to wait for a 64GB model.

You could always wait though-but you could also buy it now,if you find it at a good price.