Is it a mistake that I bought the Iphone 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TUSA, Jun 20, 2017.

1. TUSA macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just purchased a red iPhone 7 128gb. I was desperate and I needed a new phone because I'm traveling soon and my current iPhone 5c is unreliable, due to the battery dying very quickly and super slow performance. After purchasing it, I feel like its a waste cause the 8 will come out soon and the resale value for 7 will be worthless if I try and upgrade to the 8. what do you guys think I should do?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's a great phone. It'll demolish performance for the next few iOS iterations.

Could you have waited and got a better phone? Yep. Does that mean you've bought a bad device that'll run slowly in the next 3 years? Nope.

Your discretion.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

In your situation, you needed a new phone, purchasing the iPhone 7 128 GB was not necessarily a mistake and it certainly isn't worthless when the iPhone 8 debuts.

Even when the iPhone 8 does launch, we don't know how long it will actually take to get one being the demand is going to be at an all-time high this year with the new models launching.

Even so, you could certainly sell your iPhone 7 at one point and then upgrade to the iPhone eight and pay the difference, if you feel the iPhone 8 is worth it once it releases.

4. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

You needed a phone, so you bought a phone. Seems simple and rational. If you only use your phone once every six months, then I'd say wait for the new iPhone, otherwise...

Enjoy, and don't give it another thought.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

And traveling with a 5c that is unreliable and will bomb on you at the worst time wouldn't be considered a mistake?

'Cause you know…it's all about maximizing that resale value right?

Cold comfort at that point.

6. TUSA thread starter macrumors newbie

I still haven't opened the box for the phone yet because I wanted some input. You think the color red would be sought after since it's a limited color edition?. How much you guys think the resell value would be? If I was to return it, what would be an alternative approach to a new phone? I need a reliable phone.

7. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

get a SE for under 200 and after you get iphone 8, keep se as backup.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The iPhone product red color launched back in March and it's still a fairly popular color, but for the right demographic. Personally, if you absolutely need an iPhone right now, then I would suggest just keeping your iPhone 7, as it's a great iPhone it will be for years to come.

However, if you truly are Unsure and you have other options of where you can purchase another iPhone for cheaper or used, then return your iPhone 7 and an upgrade to the iPhone 8 when it launches in September. Even a used iPhone is still reliable, as they are well made. (Assuming someone took care of it properly.)

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The SE is a cheaper buy and the more cost effective phone to tide you over till the Sept unveil.

That red ip7 drops a $100 in Sept...not a smart move if you were just needing an interim phone.

10. TUSA thread starter macrumors newbie

how significant are the differences for the iPhone 8 compared to the 7?

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Any differences that could be shown to you are based on conjecture and rumor. No one knows for sure until the device is actually released.

12. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I like this approach, especially since the OP is coming from a 5c.

But you needed a phone, so you purchased one. The 7 is fantastic device and will last the OP for years to come.

Plus, the OP doesn't seem like the type that upgrades their phone every year judging from the fact that they were coming from a 5c.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It Depends. Right now, there are three models rumored for the iPhone 8. The iPhone "7S" is speculated to be a 4.7/5.5 LED model that will have some slightly revamped features and may resemble the iPhone 7. Where as the 5.8 OLED iPhone is rumored to be the major change with a redesign, embedded home button in the display, edge to edge to screen with reduced bezels, camera changes, glass back with a reinforced stainless chassis, wireless charging etc.

14. TUSA thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you are right haha. I mean if I don't return the 7 then I most likely keep it until the iPhone 15 comes out.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2017 ---

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Why would this be a bad decision. You had a 5c. You skipped the Iphone 6. You skipped the Iphone 6s. You got a new one.

GREAT!

I have a 5s and about to buy a 7 myself. I need a good phone - now. I do not need the newest phone ever in Sept.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

You needed a new phone, and you got one with specs/internals 4 generations ahead of your old one! If you've been getting by with a 5c all this time and didn't feel like you were missing out, why should you feel bad about getting a 9 month old phone? In a few months it may not be the best iPhone on the market anymore, but it's still going to be a very powerful smartphone that blows away what you're used to in every conceivable way.

17. BasicGreatGuy, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You buy a phone for need, not for possible resale value. You will not get what you paid out of the phone on resale. You purchased the phone because you needed a reliable phone. Stop obsessing over something stupid, and make use of the phone.

The phone is not an investment. Stop thinking of it as such.

18. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I wouldn't obsess over this at all. The iPhone 7 is the best iPhone Apple has released up to this point. When the 8 and 7s or whatever comes out ... Guess what the phone will still be a great device.

Resell value??? Yeah the phones resell value will drop about $100 in September ... So what? You could still sell it for quite a bit. Look at howmuch a 6s is going for on Craigslist and it'll give you a decent idea how much you can expect to get out of it.

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If I were you and tight on money, I would buy a used iPhone 6 from Craigslist. Use it for a few months and then sell it. You would lose at most $100 in the process.

It is a hassle and you are taking a risk on the condition of the used phone. But that's what it takes to save $.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's never a waste if you like it and it's useful to you.
    Don't think of it as how much the resale value will be down the road and how much it will depreciate etc...
    It's a smartphone, not real estate property.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2017 ---
    Do you like the color?
    That's all that really matters.
    Not if others will like it later when you decide to sell it.
    It's just a cellphone dude, you're acting like it's the biggest decision of your life.

21. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

The 7 is a great phone but you might be less able to sell a red model. I'd return it, get a refurb 6s from Apple, use it until the Iphone 8 comes out, then sell it.

22. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

As others have said, use and enjoy. You'll have a great phone that will last for quite awhile.

23. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

When did you buy the phone? Is your purchase still within 14 days? If yes, you could return it and use your old phone the best you could. If not and you do not want to sale it, wait until next year as iphone 7 is still a good phone.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    Agree with the above comment.
    Agree with the above comment.
    Excellent comment!! Agree with the above comment. If I were you, definitely I would get SE, then after getting iPhone 8, keep SE as a backup.

24. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You bought a great phone. Personally, I was trying to find a 6S deal... but they are just about gone everywhere.

25. geta, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

geta macrumors 6502a

Every year new models will come, but you needed a new phone now, and thats what you did, got yourself the newest model available on the market.
    Unless you're short with money, i would keep it, enjoy from it & move on without thinking about resale value.