Is it bad to have a cellphone near you (especially your head) when you sleep?

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
The popularity of the Sleep Cycle app makes me want to use it but I also just don't really feel like having a phone next to my head (or near my body) all night every night is good lol (with all the radio waves and stuff)

Is this a valid concern or is this some legit fear only with older tech?

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
it's in your pocket all day next to your genitals anyway.
Yeah but I'd rather my nuts get cancer than my brain.. obviously I don't want either of them but if I had to choose... I'll lose the nuts.

edit: and lmao self portrait up there ^

edit: ah man now I feel bad for laughing at that guy... he was probably just getting a nice ole' picture taken.. and here I am laughing at him :(

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I have it beside my pillow when I sleep by my head I don't see any changes but feel more dumb now.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I can understand needing to have it near your head or in your pocket throughout the day for work, but when sleeping I wouldn't even risk it. Having your phone just a few feet away almost entirely reduces any impact, if there is any.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Sleeping with a transmitter pressed against your head every night doesn't sound like the best idea. Maybe with a tin foil hat.....

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You can keep the phone somewhat away from you while using sleep cycle. Maybe for best results close is best but anywhere on the mattress generally works. It's a pretty sensitive app.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I did some research and found this http://www.menshealth.com/health/cell-phone-safeguards#mobify-bubble this web site makes me think that a pretty bad idea to have it near your head but it says not to have it in your pocket witch worries me because that's impossible.
I got into the habit of putting my phone on my desk when I sit at work, or even at a meeting, it's also in my car cup holder when driving, and sitting on the coffee table at home.

It only sits in my pocket when I'm walking, which I do a lot - since I live in NYC area, but still that should limit it

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I got into the habit of putting my phone on my desk when I sit at work, or even at a meeting, it's also in my car cup holder when driving, and sitting on the coffee table at home.

It only sits in my pocket when I'm walking, which I do a lot - since I live in NYC area, but still that should limit it
My phone is in my pocket all day at school. Then I go home and take it out of my pocket it a little but still it's in my pocket a lot.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Haha of course it's bad - or at least that's my guess. The phone emits a pretty strong band of frequencies very often that is unnatural to the human body. It would be "better" if we didn't use cell phones but in this world, it's probably not going to happen.

Things I do: I don't sleep in the same room as my phone and I do my best to not have it on my body as much as possible. I listened to a good scientist on Coast to Coast who said you can imagine the ring of radiation around a phone to be about the size of a basketball.

Cell phones are still relatively young in their existence so we won't know the extent of the damage they can do to the body for another 20+ years. Who knows, they might discover there are no ill effects to subjecting the body to radiation. For now, I'll do the best I can to limit the exposure.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone-radiation2.htm

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

Same here. Every chance I get it's on a desk, in a cup holder, or in my hand. I figure that should be a good compromise because unless I start carrying around a satchel I'll need to put it in my pocket at some point. This just limits the amount of time I'll need to do that.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
The popularity of the Sleep Cycle app makes me want to use it but I also just don't really feel like having a phone next to my head (or near my body) all night every night is good lol (with all the radio waves and stuff)

Is this a valid concern or is this some legit fear only with older tech?
There is radiation from phones, and radiation from cell towers.

Your phone doesn't radiate when it doesn't transmit data. When it transmits data while you hold it to your ear, there is no evidence that it would hurt you. When its besides your bed, it's twenty times further away, which means maybe 1/400th of the radiation when it's at your ear.

Cell towers radiate whether there is a phone in your bedroom or not. So it doesn't matter where you put the phone.