Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you like to receive your built to order Macbook Pro

• Pick up in store

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Pick up at courier customer services centre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Delivery to home

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I suspect that if we ask Apple to ship to our home, the risk of getting the MBP damaged during transportation is higher than if we ask Apple to ship it to a store and pick up ourselves. At least in the latter case, our computer will be one of the large number of products shipped to the same location. So, the risk of being dropped or abused is less. Of course, if being unlucky, somebody in Apple Store could have dropped it as well. What do you guys think?

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
I don't have an Apple Store nearby and have always bought my Apple devices online. I never had an issue with them or their box being damaged.
I wouldn't worry too much about ordering online. Just make sure you have a good look at the packaging when signing for it.

Reactions: 26139 and MareLuce

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I think it 6 of one, half a dozen of another. As you point out, anywhere along the way it could get dropped, kicked, etc.

Personally I prefer the system coming to me since UPS/Fedex and other shippers know how to handle deliveries without damaging the product. Also, I have things sent to me at work so they do not end up being stolen off my porch.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
I am having it delivered to the store and me picking it up from there - not worried about damage in transit but because package theft is a real thing where I live; dont want to trust someone leaving $4500 worth of electronics outside the home.

Also I want to walk into the store and walk out with a smug look on my face, as I carry several thousands of dollars worth of metal with me, while the peasants watch. /s

• Haha
Reactions: kemo

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If possible, I try to pick up my package at an Apple store. This way, I can physically inspect all my purchases and ensure that they are free of defects before paying for it. Granted, my orders have turned out well, but it's still the peace of mind I am after.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hi, I suspect that if we ask Apple to ship to our home, the risk of getting the MBP damaged during transportation is higher
6 of one, half dozen of another. The risk of damage in transportation isn't any lower going to the apple store simply because it's still being transported from another location. You just don't see the damaged box at the apple store.

I thought you already received your MBP - are you still waiting?

Reactions: konqerror

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
What I meant is if it is shipped to a store, there is a chance that it is surrounded by other products (bodyguards) while if it is shipped alone, it could be lost or abused by delivery person. UPS and DHL have lost my orders before. On TV, I saw delivery person threw expensive items on purpose out of jealousy or laziness.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What I meant is if it is shipped to a store, there is a chance that it is surrounded by other products (bodyguards) while if it is shipped alone, it could be lost or abused by delivery person. UPS and DHL have lost my orders before. On TV, I saw delivery person threw expensive items on purpose out of jealousy or laziness.
I know what you meant, but there's still a chance for it to be damaged, and unlike being shipped to your home, where you can inspect the shipping box, you have no idea if it was dropped.

Also consider it being dropped in the Apple store - you don't what goes on in the backroom :oops:

I would just order what works best for you, for many of us, we want a specific configuration, so we order online, others may not want it delivered home, because of theft, so they go another route.

Reactions: Plutonius

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Will there be black friday sale or some present if ordering next week?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've only bought two in store because of promotions that were in-store only. The other times I've just had them shipped to my office (locked shipping room, video surveillance and signatures required by shipper, receiver and me).

We don't have sales taxes in my state so there are people that live in states with sales taxes that have them shipped here (or to relatives) or buy them in our state to avoid sales taxes.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
I've seen people take deliveries of iMacs where the iMac box was all dented and scuffed up, so I ordered my most recent iMac for in-store pickup. Box was pristine with not a dent or scratch in sight. So I think having your Mac delivered to your home absolutely results in the box getting thrown around and beaten up more. But I also think the boxes are quite protective and should protect the contents just fine either way most of the time. And laptops are meant to be moved around constantly and take some bumps and abuse from being in a bag all the time, so I would probably be less concerned with a MacBook than an iMac.

RichiMac

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
SoCal
Never had a damage problem in years of ordering from Apple. However, the main reason I now do in store pickup is because I can't just sit at home waiting for delivery...and I won't waive liability since we have a lot of porch pirates roaming my street.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

What makes you think a lazy delivery person that delivers to the Apple Store does not also drop or kick the boxes. They are under the same schedule pressure to drop off 30 items in under 2 minutes to stay on schedule. Same for the guy that loads the plane, unloads the plane, put stuff in the warehouse, etc.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
If order online and ask for the laptop to be shipped to an Apple Store, do I get to see the details of the delivery process?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
For the configurations I want, it will be delivered on Dec 5 to 10! However, if I have it shipped to a nearby Apple Store, it will be Dec 10. Why it takes longer to ship to Apple Store vs. to ship to home? How likely are these days just the worst case? As some of you know, Lenovo always under estimate the delivery time these days. Don't know about Apple.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're frequently away from home (which could impact and delay delivery), then choose pickup at a local Apple Store.

Otherwise, I don't see where it makes any difference.

junkw

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Haifa, Israel
I prefer home delivery because better be DOA than DIB 1 year later

Nothing better to test surface-mount components soldering than a run in fedex/ups/usps

Checksix2x

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
If order online and ask for the laptop to be shipped to an Apple Store, do I get to see the details of the delivery process?
I ordered mine to deliver directly to a local store on the first day and got an email today stating it was shipping via FedEx and would arrive on 11/26 which is almost a week earlier than they stated when I placed the order. I have no tracking number, but have PO/Invoice/Sales Order and Web Order numbers, none of which can be plugged into FedEx's website to check on the delivery.

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm leaving right now to pick up my MBP16 laptop from the nearest (3 miles away) Apple store, because in California we have local municipal variations in sales tax. I'm saving 1.25% by picking up vs having it delivered which on a 4k device isn't insignificant. Little over $40.

There are places in LA where you could save 3% (around $120 on the same build) by picking up in-store vs delivering to home if you live on the west side or downtown, where sales tax is 10.25%.

My original estimated ready date was Nov 27th, but it came in ready today, Nov 20th, FWIW.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Sales tax in NH is a whopping 0%. Which is why the two Apple stores just iver the border from Massachusetts do lots of business with MA residents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.