Is it better to do a clean install of a new operating system or just update the current one?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ToddJ, Oct 11, 2018.

1. ToddJ macrumors 6502

I am looking to upgrade my operating system and was all set to do a clean install, but then someone told me on Apple's community forums that there is no point doing a clean install unless you are selling your mac. He said just to do a regular upgrade instead. Which is better? I have had problems with iMac freezing no apparent reason so thought doing a clean install might help.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I have never felt the need for a clean install
    Then again, I've never really experienced any problems with my systems

I wouldn't do a clean install unless I was experiencing some significant issue that *might* be resolved with a clean install
    I would say, try the straight upgrade first and see how it works for you
    If you are having an issue, then consider a clean install

I know some swear by it
    Others refute the notion
    Just choose what works best for you :)

3. 0970373 Suspended

This is sound advice. If your iMac is freezing up, see if it clears up w/ the upgrade to the newer OS first. If it's still happening, then try a clean install. Be sure to back up or sync your files.

4. brookter1 macrumors member

I always do a clean install. It's an opportunity to start again with only the base programs I actually use, and get rid of all the things-which-looked-a-good-idea-at-the-time-but-which-I-never-use-now and which waste space (and in some cases take up cpu/memory).