iPad mini Is it better to power down my iPad than put it to sleep?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPodJedi, Jan 9, 2014.

1. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Will it make my iPad battery last longer (talking about if it will affect my battery in a year or two from now) if I completely power it down when not using it instead of putting it to sleep? I know this will make the battery last longer now because even when it is in sleep mode it uses battery but I mean will it help a few years down the road and help preserve the battery life or does turning it on/off completely all the time affect the battery capacity negatively?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Seriously, please enjoy your iPad the way it was meant to be and don't worry about the battery. You will upgrade long before the battery stops working and you will see several generations of iPad's wizz by before you have battery issues. :)

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

As long as you don't have push notifications and background app refresh on you should be fine letting it sleep. I do that all the time and the battery percentage is exactly the same in the morning as it is when I wake up. If there is one area that the iPad has down to a science it's battery performance.

No need to shut her down, sleep is fine. ;)

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If this was an android device then yeah, but put your iPad to sleep. :)

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

There are a number of variables but most (like age and number of cycles) cant be helped. Just dont leave your pad connected to AC after it hits 100%.

6. davydavy macrumors member

ElectronGuru, what's wrong with leaving it connected to AC once it's charged?

7. Clubber macrumors member

The latest battery technology (that Apple uses) is very user proof. You don't have to do anything special. My original iPad is still going strong. it was passed down to the kid and can even handle her abuse.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Leaving it plugged in will not damage the iPad's battery.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

See here for details:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18002582#post18002582

But the short answer: lithium ion cells dont like staying at 4.2v (100%), so the sooner you can get them to toward 4.0v (about 80%), the better.

10. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

we are in 2013 technology, not 1990 that you are speaking of. plz dont spread false info about batteries. most people leave it charge over night and don't see any battery degrade

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

This is true. I leave mine plugged in when I use Netflix. I noticed it stops charging at 100% and then when it drops down to about 96% or so, it charges again to 100%. The battery can not be overcharged.

12. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yes if you don't turn it on it will last for years :rolleyes:

13. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

glad to see Ipad owners wanting to stay with the device for many many years but turning off the device every night will probably wear out the power button faster than any other users.

I think some Ipad 1 user still have good battery, i doubt u would use it until the battery gone bad. If it is, and u dont want to fix then resale it online because there are people who bought the battery and replace it themselves. Use that money to buy new gen which i think it would at least be couple years from now.

14. andychelt macrumors member

I'm still using an ipad 1, I have never switched it completely off and battery life is still as great as ever! The only time battery decreases significantly is when I crank the brightness up. :D

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The tablet is designed to be put to sleep and not shut down, I don't see any positive attributes in shutting down the iPad.

16. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

This thing has a Prius-sized battery.... just put it to sleep!

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

This. The battery takes up 80% of the space inside of the iPad.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When the iPad came out, I was surprised at how well it managed the battery. This has only continued and improved over the years. As I stated it makes no sense to shut it down.

Apple designed it stay on, just put it to sleep. You wouldn't want to shut your iPhone down at night, the same thing :)

19. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

It takes too long to power down, let it sleep :cool:

20. takeshi74, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

takeshi74 macrumors 601

You might save some charge cycles but it's probably not worth the added hassle of power cycling every time. Your call. Worth is always highly subjective.

Try actually clicking through and reading the article on Li ion cells. The article isn't on "1990 technology". It's about Li ion cells which is directly relevant.

21. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

This isn't 1987 where you couldn't leave your device charging all the time, almost all modern laptops and tablets and smart phones will stop charging the battery on their own.

22. Misskitty macrumors 6502

i leave the brightness on all the time and at full blast.

23. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Besides giving the battery a break it deserves, consider also the ramifications of having your device connected to network 24/7/365. As jailbreaking shows, Apple security can be compromised by visiting a specially crafted website. The jailbreak folks are supersmart, but there even smarter ones out there and they are quietly trying to exploit the hundreds of millions of always-on, always-connected devices to take advantage of - steal your data, use your device to mine bitcoins in background, use it as a node in distributed communication network. Do you really want to provide hackers this opportunity?

If you don't foresee using your device in the next few hours, just turn it off.

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

That's a little paranoid of you. Isn't your phone on most of the day? In any case, if you're that woried you can still put it to sleep, but in airplane mode.

To answer the original question, I would suggest maybe powering off at night when you go to bed, but during the day, battery loss while in standby (and therefore battery wear over time) is neglegible.

And to the person above who suggested that this isn't the case for Android devices, you're either basing your info on older versions of Android or devices with poorly adjusted settings. My 2013 Nexus 7 doesn't lose any more power during a night on standby than my iPhone 5s does.

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If you have an AppleCare or insurance, do not worry about battery. :apple: