Is it difficult for a Canadian to buy a US data plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Denis54, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Denis54 macrumors member

I am from Montreal and will do a 2 weeks road trip in January. My itinary will include Las Vegas, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Phoenix, Tucson and Santa Fe.

Will I have difficulty buying a SIM card and a data plan? I have been told that carriers are reluctant to sell to non US residents. Is that right?

Which carriers offer the best plans?

I want to have access to Google Maps and do some web surfing when I am on the road. Of course I will use WiFi when possible.

I will not buy a data plan for my smart phone so tethering is not an option.

2. wordoflife, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The only carrier you'll be able to use is AT&T. They sell 2GB of data for $25 and 250MB for $15. I would go to an Apple Store and ask them for an AT&T SIM.

When you sign up, you'll need to enter a US address, so just put the address of where you are staying. (if you're using an Amex ... since they don't check the addresses for a match. Some Visas have problems with using non-matching addresses). US bought Visa/Amex Giftcards should also do the trick.

3. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

Thanks for the info wordoflife.

FWIW, you would think that AT&T stores would sell the iPad SIMs, but when I tried to get one from an AT&T store in Indianapolis, they told me to go to an Apple Store.

4. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Is this even practical? Do the American carriers offer a data plan you can use if you're only going to be down there for 2 weeks?

6. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

My understanding is that you can subscribe for one month and cancel your subscription at the end of the month. Am I right?

Is it complicated to cancel a subscription?

7. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

It is, literally, "cost of business". In many cases a month of data is cheaper than daily Internet charges. I can't get 3G service where I live, but when I'm travelling in other parts of Canada (e.g. Toronto), I get one month of data from Bell (actually it's one month or a certain number of GB). AT&T offers a similar prepaid plan.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You just cancel it on your iPad. Remember to cancel it before you leave the States though.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Oh, right, of course. iPad. No contracts. Sorry, I'm just not paying attention today. :rolleyes: