Is it difficult to develop apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by applefan289, Oct 16, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm very interested in learning more about developing apps for iOS. Is it as easy as Apple says it is?

Do the programs used to develop have a steep learning curve? Is it comparable to Photoshop or Maya or something?

I have a friend who's willing to work with me on this. Would we share a developer account or would we each get one?

2. AML225 macrumors regular

Are you familiar with computer coding at all? Have you ever written in C or Objective C? If the answer to these questions are no then it will be very difficult. It's like becoming fluent in a new language.

I don't mean to discourage you at all, it's certainly possible by anyone who has the determination. It just takes time.

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the answer.

I have extensive knowledge in networking but very little in creative/code software. Thanks for the heads up!

4. eleven7 macrumors regular

You'd probably be better asking in the developer thread but...

Start by doing some basic C tutorials to see what you're getting yourself into. If you're still keen, move onto some objective-c tutorials and take it from there. If you've never done any programming before, it's not going to be "easy" but if you enjoy doing it, and put in the time it can be a lot of fun.

and no, it's nothing like Photoshop.

5. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

Learning to code is NOTHING at all like learning a foreign language, unless you think you can pick up the core elements of a language in a weekend.

Learning to write code is vastly, vastly easier than learning a foreign tongue. You can write real code that solves real problems within just a few hours of studying, say, interpreted languages like Perl or even shell scripts. Will your code be admired for its beauty and efficiency? No. But it will be functional.

Writing apps is "as easy as Apple says" for people skilled in the vernacular of developing applications, but that's a very broad net that includes interfaces, databases, interacting with libraries, and the code to glue everything together.

It's not at all like writing HTML to build a web page (which, by the way, is not writing code like many think it is).

If you want to learn to write code, you should first and foremost become familiar with textual interfaces to your computer. Many, many, many things in all computer languages assume core competency in these skills.

Next, learn interpreted languages like Perl or Ruby. You can also use these to build apps if you so choose.

Finally -- and most importantly -- have a project with clear goals in mind. Nothing helps you learn more than "I want to do X but have no idea to do it."

6. AML225 macrumors regular

I disagree. You say coding is not like learning a language but then you go and use a phrase like "people skilled in the vernacular of developing applications". That sounds exactly like a language (hint: look up vernacular). Additionally, yes I think you can learn the core elements of a language in a weekend. Ever been dropped into a foreign location without any prior knowledge of the language? You pick up extremely fast out of sheer necessity. The fact of the matter is that coding **IS** a language, not a spoken language but the written language of computers.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm learning djagno template language at work. How much different from that is it? I took C a long while ago, so some of it I'm getting relatively, but maybe I don't know exactly how to do it. Basically I'm hoping in a year when I understand django a lot better I can maybe look at iOS app development. I know it will be a different language, but I just don't know how different.

8. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Disagree

I have learned Java and it was quite confusing at the start. The rules and notation for coding are similar to learning a new language. One has to get used to a whole new set of writing and some concepts in coding was confusing as with grammar issues in a new language.

9. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

In order to be able to develop worthwhile, functional software, there are multiple skills required. The art (yes, it is an art) of programming first requires the capacity to analyze a requirement and think through the myriad of individual process steps and decisions required to be able to translate this into program functions.

Once one has gotten to the point of being able to perform this type of analysis, then one needs to learn how to translate these steps into 'code'. This is accomplished through any one of hundreds of different programming languages. Different hardware platforms provide the capability (through assemblers, compiles, interpreters, etc) to convert one or more programming language statements into machine understandable codes.

On the iOS platforms (iPhone, iPad, iPod,...), the most common development system utilized for industrial strength programs is the Objective C language, manipulated and built using the XCode development environment.

Knowing how to develop the logic of a program alone is not enough to produce an app. Knowing the syntax and usage of Objective C alone is not enough to produce an app. When one has mastery over both of these disciplines, then one can move forward to actually create the desired app.

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Go thru the podcast courses from Stanford just like you are in school. Do every exercise. If you love every second and cannot stop watching and doing the lessons, you stand a chance of become a programmer.

Those who are good at it have a real passion for it. Programs take much longer to write than anyone ever admits, and it has to be a labor of creative love.

Enjoy and good luck.

11. firewood macrumors 604

If you don't know how to program in C and/or some OOP language, developing native apps is difficult.

If you don't know how to code in any programming language well, it typically takes between 2 months (if you're brilliant) and 2 years to learn to some moderate competence level... and some people never get any good at it.

Expert C programmers with some OOP experience have reported getting up to speed with Objective C and the Cocoa Touch frameworks in as little as 2 to 4 weeks of intensive study.

12. Crobilss macrumors newbie

Can someone give us a download link of Stanford videos?
    Or can you recommend us some good books and tutorials?

What is the best way to lear, watch Stanford's and write in notes some stuf, or first watch one lessons and then try to do that?

Or maybe read some tutorial one chapter then try?

Read or watch?
    :eek:

13. samdev macrumors regular

I'm writing my first app, and about 10% of the work is game code only!

The remaining 90% is graphics, sound, music, user interface and design.

So, I predict you will spend more time making your app look good, rather than spending
    a lot of time on actual game code.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Links are all in the FAQ stickied to the forum. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=518968

It all depends on how you learn things. Programming is best learned by doing. Though so you need to do whatever it is that motivates you to do.

B