Is It Even Worth Lining Up for a 6 Plus 128GB For Fridays Launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inframan, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Inframan, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014

Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

-My Back Story - Primary Question Below, feel free to skip my sob story-​

I preordered my iPhone 6 Plus Silver 128GB on Thursday night 15 Mins before AT&T was supposed to even activate the preorders. I was in & out in 30 seconds and received my conformation email immediately. I thought I had beat the system, boy was I wrong.

4 days & 50 Phone calls later, AT&T deposited money into my account instead of withdrawing it, then withdrew the money they deposited, then a supervisor pushed my order through and they deducted the money again and I lost my shipping spot of the 19th and now my new shipping date is Nov 27th to December 3rd. :mad:

Even now they are saying my credit card is declined, even after I have repeatedly told them that they already deducted the money from my account, verified it 3 times with my bank that they did, there is plenty of money in there if they wanted to deduct it again, I even used another Credit Card and that came back declined again. ( Funny thing is that my Girlfriend and also my Best Friends Credit Cards were also declined )

I have owned every single iPhone and this is the worst luck I have ever had with a preorders so I'm thinking about kicking it old fashion, filling a flask with some whiskey, grabbing my fold out chair and making my way to the Ventura Blvd. Corporate AT&T store in Sherman Oaks, California to camp out Thursday night to try and get my phone on Friday.

^^^^Incase you Don't Feel Like Reading All That This is My Primary Question Below^^^^

Do you guys think there will even be any 6 Plus 128GB Silver ones available on Friday, even if I'm the first person in line or am I just wasting my time trying?

(The Refresh Button helped me win the battle but the war was ultimately lost)

2. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I think you'd better be pretty close to the front of the line. Like first 20 or so.

3. Cryates macrumors 65816

I don't know...I'm glad I preordered mine because I'm guessing the 6 Plus stock is very low on Friday.

4. drober30 macrumors 6502a

AT&T store.... NO WAY.

Apple Store... you will get your phone if you are gong to camp out.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Do not want to discourage you but uinless you are near the front of the line, you are wasting your time.

I will agree that AT&T had the worst iPhone roll out I have ever seen. BOTH of my iPhone 6 orders "needed futher attention" and I had to confirm my credit card. Got one order to go though but not the other and had to reorder through Apple. The credit card only had like $700 on it with a $15,000 limit.

I will never order from AT&T again. Every number you called you would wait for 30 minutes before a recording came on and told you that they were very busy right now and could not take my call and hung up! You would think the idiots would tell you right off the bat rather than wait for 30 minutes!

6. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

You think each store with mainly only get around 20 iPhone 6's total or 20 iPhone 6 Plus 128Gb Silver Total? There are 2200 AT&T Stores in the US 250 Apple Retail Stores in the US - 2000+ Verizon Stores and various other retailers.

So my best guess is that around 10,000 stores will try to have some iPhone 6's available on Friday. So 10,000 Times 20 is 200,000 Phones available, they sold 4Million over the weekend so I would imagine if they began production back in June they should have quite a bit of inventory considering Fortune.com claims that iPhone 5S production rates were 300,000 to 500,000 a day from Foxconn....

Or everything i just said is wishful thinking and I'm a complete utter dork for even assembling those statistics :cool:

7. 617aircav Suspended

I would say first 15.

8. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

I think it's more like first 13.

9. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Really? Only 15 (or less) 128GB silver per store?

10. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I wouldn't count on more than 4 or 5 of a specific configuration of the Plus size in each store. If rumors of supply constraint are true anyway. If you want a specific CAPACITY and COLOR of the Plus, you better be one of the first 5 in line. If you just want a Plus and don't care about capacity or color, you could probably be in the first 15 or 20.

These are just some schmoe's guesses, so take that for what it's worth.

11. avaloncourt, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Considering there are a total of 18 possible model/color combinations I wouldn't think there'd even be 15 of the 128 models at any one store of either the 6 or 6 Plus. That's the highest priced device and the least desired model as a result. If there were 15 of every phone, they'd have 270 total phones per store. I don't think that seems likely.

According to AT&T, they have 2200 corporate locations in the US which, using the number above, would mean 594,000 first-day phones in stores. That seems very unlikely since the entire first-day pre-order sell-through was 4 million and we already know that it didn't take long for the models to go into backorder. Just think of all of the Walmarts, Best Buys, and thousands of other locations that need to be stocked for Friday. I haven't done an AT&T in-store first day purchase in a long time but, even then, they only had 10 of any one model and I lucked out and got one but not in the color I wanted.

12. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

I think there will be WAY more, especially at Apple stores.

13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Of course Apple will give more to their own store but he already said he's going to an AT&T store. AT&T is going to have FAR less than Apple.

Take a look at my updated post above. If they had 15 of every phone at every AT&T corporate store, that would be 594,000 phones. Not likely.

14. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

Oh ****. Sorry misread the OP. My fault, carry-on :)

15. Wooderson00 macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same thing. Ultimately, I decided yesterday to just to say "screw it" and pre-ordered it then. Yes, I just pre-ordered yesterday. I figure if I can find one in store on Friday, great. If not, I'll just wait the 3-4 weeks. I'll be traveling for a good portion for that time anyway. The 3-4 weeks actually works out well for when I return. I'd love to take the new 6 Plus with me overseas. However, my unlocked 5 will have to do for now.

I just can't see there being a ton of supply of 128GB 6 Plus for walk-ins. If you aren't willing to give up your entire night to camp out, and presumably for most the next work day to recover, you aren't getting one. At least it seems that way now. Oh well, I'm at least happy to go to the store and check out the demos on Friday!

16. mantan macrumors 68000

I think it's going to be to similar launches where certain models are in limited supply.

The Plus's are going to sell out quickly Friday morning. And each store will likely get a few more in each shipment every day or two. I almost think it would be easier to try to get to one of those 'just arrived' models next week than to fight the crowds on Friday.

17. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

This, I've always had luck going in the Monday after and getting the model I wanted.
    People seem to have chilled a bit by then but still you have to get there around the time they open.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Going to an ATT store @ lunch is waste of time, yes. But I would bet the plus will be sold out at most Apple stores by then too. It doesn't seem like they ramped up production of that version anywhere near when the 4.7 model did & supply will be constrained for awhile.

19. Stalyn macrumors regular

Go to a bad neighborhood store, you might find since not too many people will be lining up.

20. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Ditto. I will only ever use iPhones and I will never order another iPhone from AT&T so they will never get my orders ever again. Simply AWFUL. I ordered at 3:03am ET and it appears my order went into a blackhole. My card was even charged a pending transaction and eventually fell off. Since I have a FAN I had to go to Premier and I never could get through.

21. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

You don't HAVE to go to Premier. I was able to cancel an order with regular customer service while my order showed as being Premier through my FAN account.

22. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I concur with most comments here--there will be very limited supply at the AT&T stores. A friend of mine manages a local corporate store here in Tampa (not a small store either) and while it varies every launch, they have a fraction of the inventory that Apple stores have. IIRC, for the 5S they had a few dozen total, and sold out very quickly.

Considering the rumored supply constraints (backed up I believe by the fact that the shipping times for the 6+ moved back very quickly during preorders), you may have to be one of the first few in line at that shop as they may only have 1 or 2 of the model you're looking for. If you can live with more than one color, obviously your chances will improve.

23. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Hmmm... I contacted regular customer service through phone and chat multiple times each, and was told to go to Premier. What a clusterf***.

24. mklaman, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

mklaman macrumors member

for the iPhone 5 release, i found a nice tucked away verizon store. showed up 40 minutes before opening and was 8th in line. trying to do that again! :cool:

25. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Friday night I did a chat and he said I would have to call Premier Support on Monday morning. I said "So there is no way I can cancel this order before Monday morning?" He apologized and said yes. Saturday morning I called the order support line and it automatically directed me to Premier, which was closed. I called back to the regular customer support number and was able to cancel it in 5 minutes.

I won't order from ATT again.