Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Why put it on the keyboard? Why not on the back of the iMac? Isn't it way more secure to have Touch ID be connected through wire than through Bluetooth or other RF?
I get it allows Apple to charge $200 on top of a regular keyboard but still... It's an annoying cash grab.
I'd much prefer a Touch Bar on the Magic Keyboard so I can opt out of that PoS.

Reactions: Darajavahus

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
That sounds like the most awkward thing ever. Sitting in my chair my arm wouldn’t even reach the back of the monitor, so I would have to lean forward or get out of my chair. That is incredibly inconvenient for using it for things like passwords, Apple Pay, etc. At that point, just don’t even have Touch ID.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Why put it on the keyboard? Why not on the back of the iMac?
Because that would be stupid, let alone leaving the user to reach behind and feel for the power button.
I get it allows Apple to charge $200 on top of a regular keyboard but still... It's an annoying cash grab.
As usual just a made up reason to crap on Apple. Without even reading through the thread you will greatly be in the minority not wanting the Touch I.D on the keyboard.
You can opt out all together if this is such a "Pos" to you. Lordy.

Reactions: hwojtek and mj_

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
If anything. I'd want it on the front. That way you have Touch ID, with easy access, no matter what keyboard you use. As I only use ergonomic keyboards and gaming mice or trackballs.

Not that I'd use it. Probably takes me a second to type my password.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Why put it on the keyboard? Why not on the back of the iMac? Isn't it way more secure to have Touch ID be connected through wire than through Bluetooth or other RF?

I would rather have FaceID personally. I certainly wouldn't want a Touch Bar or a TouchID sensor on the back of the iMac where I can't see it. I do prefer a non-apple keyboard though so having it on the keyboard is an issue.

Reactions: za9ra22

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Absolutely not - I plan to almost never reach back there for a full power up/down. TouchID on the keyboard makes it incredibly convenient for repeated unlocks and Apple Pay payments.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I would rather have FaceID personally. I certainly wouldn't want a Touch Bar or a TouchID sensor on the back of the iMac where I can't see it. I do prefer a non-apple keyboard though so having it on the keyboard is an issue.
Why would you need to see the TouchID?

FaceID is nice but during pandemic it hurts my brain to need to verify myself in enclosed public place like a bank

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Indeed why not put the entire keyboard on the back.? Would save space on the desk so you can slide the iMac all the way forward and mash your face into the screen while your arms flail wildly trying to press keys on the back.
Put Touch ID on the power button which is located at the back. ?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Put Touch ID on the power button which is located at the back. ?
I’m not sure how you use a computer but I don’t typically need to press the power button while I’m using it.

I do get promoted to authenticate pretty regularly while I’m using it.

Maybe it’s just me but turning it on and using it while it’s on seem like pretty dissimilar tasks.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I’m not sure how you use a computer but I don’t typically need to press the power button while I’m using it.

I do get promoted to authenticate pretty regularly while I’m using it.

Maybe it’s just me but turning it on and using it while it’s on seem like pretty dissimilar tasks.

Touch ID on Macbooks and some iPads are on the power button. So why not translate it to desktops like the iMac?

I was surprised that this not move to Mac mini.

Touch ID on a wireless device just adds complexities that translates to $200

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I use TouchID on my MBP regularly for authentication to websites, Appel Pay, and so on.
No way would I want to bend forward and reach around the back of the iMAC in order to authenticate - would rather just type the password on the keyboard that I already have in my hands. TouchID on the keyboard is the best place for it.
Same with the Mac Mini - some users have the Mini mounted under the desk. Some have them mount behind the monitor - again TouchID on the keyboard is the most logical place for it considering your hands are already there.

FaceID on the iMAC makes sense for logging in etc - although not sure how it would work for authentication. For example, I may have a website requesting an Apple Pay payment that I decide I no longer wish to proceed with - FaceID would instantly process, whereas with TouchID I have the option of whether to authenticate or not. I'd prefer the latter.

Reactions: Silmakhor

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Touch ID on Macbooks and some iPads are on the power button. So why not translate it to desktops like the iMac?

The power button is within reach, potentially without even moving your hand on those devices. It's essentially part of the keyboard on a laptop, and it's on the edge, on a iPad. Your hands are already there.

If they moved the power button to the edge or side of an iMac you might have a point, but even then - the average user is sitting nowhere near as close to a 24" screen as they do a laptop, or iPad.

FaceID on the iMAC makes sense for logging in etc - although not sure how it would work for authentication
This is my issue/concern with people expecting Face ID for Macs. I don't have a FaceID equipped phone to compare the use there either, but I don't see how there's a way for you to look at the screen to see what it's asking you to authorise, without it thinking "well it's your face, you must be authorising it".

As you said, for unlocking a device, that seems relatively logical. But a prompt coming up to authorise something you don't expect? And you look at it? And it's authorised? Defeats the purpose of authorisation.

Reactions: Ifti

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Because that'd be a braindead and stupid place to put it. On the laptops its on the keyboard right where it belongs and where your hands are. Reaching all the way around to fiddle for a power button every time you need it would completely defeat the purpose. Plus, how often do you really need the power button anyway? Last time I used mine was when I setup my new desk and had to unplug the iMac. That was in July or August of 2020.

As you said, for unlocking a device, that seems relatively logical. But a prompt coming up to authorise something you don't expect? And you look at it? And it's authorised? Defeats the purpose of authorisation.
iPhones with FaceID use a two-step authentication and authorization process. Unlocking the phone requires either a press of the button or a tap on the display plus active FaceID authentication. Authorization requires authentication via FaceID plus double-clicking the power button. That way you can ensure that you never mistakenly authorize something without even noticing.

Reactions: Silmakhor

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Unlocking the phone requires either a press of the button or a tap on the display plus active FaceID authentication. Authorization requires authentication via FaceID plus double-clicking the power button. That way you can ensure that you never mistakenly authorize something without even noticing.
THAT is the authorisation flow everyone thinks is better than TouchID? **** on a stick. Makes me even more glad I haven't upgraded yet.

TouchID can't come to the iPhone lock button soon enough.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Definitely NOT on the back!!

If there is touch ID, the keyboard is the best place.

But, I'd prefer face ID.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
The power button is within reach, potentially without even moving your hand on those devices. It's essentially part of the keyboard on a laptop, and it's on the edge, on a iPad. Your hands are already there.

If they moved the power button to the edge or side of an iMac you might have a point, but even then - the average user is sitting nowhere near as close to a 24" screen as they do a laptop, or iPad.

This is my issue/concern with people expecting Face ID for Macs. I don't have a FaceID equipped phone to compare the use there either, but I don't see how there's a way for you to look at the screen to see what it's asking you to authorise, without it thinking "well it's your face, you must be authorising it".

I'm on a iMac 27" and I can easily reach the power button. Having Touch ID there would save me $200. I dont know how about you but $200 for better storage, memory or SoC is better than a $300 keyboard.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Constant reach-around for Touch ID? I... um. Hmm.

Makes sense to me to put it on the keyboard. I'm just kinda upset that they're not selling the keyboards as standalone devices right away. Oh well.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Adding to this, they should of put a power button on the side of the Mac like the new iPad Air's have.

as far as Touch ID on the back....yeah, no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.