Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I'm on a iMac 27" and I can easily reach the power button. Having Touch ID there would save me $200. I dont know how about you but $200 for better storage, memory or SoC is better than a $300 keyboard.
How close are you sitting?

1619449273671.png

I'm in front of two 24" screens, and I can't even touch the front of the screen without moving forward.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Adding to this, they should of put a power button on the side of the Mac like the new iPad Air's have.

as far as Touch ID on the back....yeah, no.
I'm on board with that. ;) How about a volume button on the side too?

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I’d hazard a guess that the vast VAST majority of iMac users just uses the keyboard and mouse that comes with it. Those that want to use 3rd party keyboards are a very small minority. That’s why.

(And that reaching behind for a button is just silly)

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I'm 6'. Unless your given name is Shaquille or Ming, I doubt your arms are much longer than mine mate.

So, again, how close are you sitting?
Not gonna play a man child's game of measure. Go back and eat your vegetables.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Not gonna play a man child's game of measure. Go back and eat your vegetables.
What?

You claimed you can reach a button on the back of a 27" display without issue from where you sit.

I'm saying that suggests you are sitting very close to the screen.

I didn't bring up "measurements", or dietary habits. You did, because "how close do you sit to the screen" is apparently a triggering question for you, and answering it is impossible, it seems.

Silmakhor

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2021
I’d hazard a guess that the vast VAST majority of iMac users just uses the keyboard and mouse that comes with it. Those that want to use 3rd party keyboards are a very small minority. That’s why.

(And that reaching behind for a button is just silly)
I use an ergodox (Split, programmable mechanical keyboard.)

And I still think keeping the touch ID on the back of the computer is silly.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Only you. The only place worse they could have put it than on the back with the power button is if they put it on the new power brick on the floor!

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I suspect it’s not just you, but you will certainly be in a minority, as this thread suggests.

I assume that you turn your Mac off, rather than leave it sleeping. I have no idea what the proportions of people in the real world (as opposed to macrumors) is regarding this, but even amongst those who turn their Mac off, I think that Touch ID there could be a pain. These things book up quite quickly, but you would still need to be holding your finger on the button for longer than seems natural whilst waiting for it to kick in.

For those people who leave their Mac sleeping, this would be a major pain. On the rare occasion I need to use the power button (usually if I need to reboot after a problem) it takes a while to find it.

That is just starting up. As others have mentioned, authorising passwords and payments would be much less smooth).

I understand your reasons for wanting this, but you are miles out with the cash grab theory. Apple have gone with a solution which is far more convenient for most people, and that seems to be the main reason for making that decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.