Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Don't get me wrong I think the jail breaking is useful for some but is it just me that has no use for it. I jailbreaked and found I did nothing but faff around trying to customise it doing a bad job and achieving nothing. I restored to the way apple intended and I'm perfectly happy I don't find myself needlessly fiddling. Is their anyone like me who just likes it the way apple intended:confused:

hammten

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
you're doing it wrong.... see the other thread in this section showing user's ipad 2 homescreens for some inspiration, and then politely ask questions and get help to achieve them and learn cool stuff along the way.....

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Whether or not jailbreaking is useful/worth it is really all up to the individual. Some people, like you, find they have no real reason to jailbreak and are just fine with stock iOS. Others say they love the options that jailbreaking opens up and couldn't live without it. I'm sort of inbetween. I was fine with stock iOS before my iPad could be jailbroken but when given the option I jailbroke and am happier with my device. If it was never able to be jailbroken I would still be happy with my device though.

I don't like jailbreaking. Too much hassel and would regret the inconvenience if the phone wouldn't update normally

How is it a hassel? The newest jailbreak involves you pointing your device at a webpage and pressing an on screen button. Not trying to argue the merits of jailbreaking (read rest of post above) just curious.

Last edited:

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I did look at that thread but it just seems to complicate things and deliver a poor result , I think apple are good at what they do and have it right with the simplicity of the iPad

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I am looking forward to iOS 5 so much so I will be investing in other iOS devices the ability to sync via the cloud is what I'm looking forward to the most

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
How is it a hassel? The newest jailbreak involves you pointing your device at a webpage and pressing an on screen button. Not trying to argue the merits of jailbreaking (read rest of post above) just curious.

I have jailbroke my devices many a time in the past and the hassel comes from getting everything back the way I want it. It is just not worth it to me anymore

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
I have jailbroke my devices many a time in the past and the hassel comes from getting everything back the way I want it. It is just not worth it to me anymore

Fair enough, to each their own. Like i said just curious.

Wow. That's like saying "The only reason I bought a gun is to rob a liquor store" ... some things are better left unsaid in public. LOL

Agreed.

getyup

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2011
Fair enough, to each their own. Like i said just curious.

Some people lead, some follow blindly through life. Fortunately for those of us who are progressive, the people who are set in their ways make us look all the more cutting-edge, hehe.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA

Agreed.

I was thinking of jail breaking my new iPad 2 but seeing how it's going to be a very important learning aid for medical school, I don't want to do anything to it that might cause me academic headaches later.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Agreed.

I was thinking of jail breaking my new iPad 2 but seeing how it's going to be a very important learning aid for medical school, I don't want to do anything to it that might cause me academic headaches later.

Same reason for me really im deploying to afgan shortly and it will be my only comms with home so not going to invite any problems and hope it serves me well

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
I love the 5 row keybard.
Qbility to stuff all my apps in a sine folder.
Have multiple apps in the drawer.

And more.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
but i suspect if you didnt have access to the jailbreak you would equally be as happy with your ipad. Which leads me to my point apple must be doing something right with their stock ios.

Also when ios 5 comes out who will ditch their jailbreak and upgrade and who will wait.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
but i suspect if you didnt have access to the jailbreak you would equally be as happy with your ipad. Which leads me to my point apple must be doing something right with their stock ios.

Also when ios 5 comes out who will ditch their jailbreak and upgrade and who will wait.

No, i woudnt be as happy.
I e been waiting anxiously for teh jaibreak, so i culd get this thing organized as i see fit.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
so you would upgrade to ios 5 sacrificing the jailbreak and wait for a new one

Nope.
Ios5 does not address the horrble ui that i abhore on the iPad.
Jailbreak also gves me full access to the filesystem, as well as a better keyboard.
Ios5 has brought nothing notable or useful fr me, to the table.
Deep twitter integration. Really? Who f-in cars about tayt complete time wasting "improvement".

No. Ill be on 4.3.3 until next jailbreak.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Nope.

Jailbreak also gves me full access to the filesystem, as well as a better keyboard.
No. Ill be on 4.3.3 until next jailbreak.

I'm going to have to check out the keyboard. Is it the one on the Cydia home page listed under "Products Designed for iPad"?

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I used to be a Jailbreak Fanatic, always checking for updates on the next JB and fending off the temptation to update to the next iOS. I found joy in thumbing my nose at Apple by customizing and making my iOS devices work the way I want them to work. But, IMHO, the gap between customization and out of the box functionality is slowly starting to narrow. Yes I am Jailbroken, but as iOS evolves I found my self tweaking less.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
The whole "how apple intended" bit is kind of silly, the jailbreak takes 30 seconds and even if you only find a few minor things you like I dont see how there is any downside. And then you just upgrade to 5.0 when it comes out since you dont care much.

For me while there is no one absolutely must have use, I've found plenty to make it well worth the bit of time I spent researching/installing/etc.

Safari upgrades/download system, youtube downloading, retinapad (big if you regularly use some supported iphone apps), iFile + CCK for on the move video storage, activator, Display recorder, fake location, emulators, infinifolders, and then all the customization... plus some others i havnt tried yet. With no downside.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
You know the million people that jailbroke on day one of the jailbreakme 3.0 release would say different.

I buy way too many apps I never end up playing. A huge reason for me. Plus I paid for it I don't want to be restricted in manipulating my device to my liking. Having to leave my game or app Im in to respond to a text is just silly. Bitesms is how the SMS should be from the start.

Anyways that's all.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Iconoclasm is enough reason to jailbreak. I have absolutely no idea why apple can't fit more icons in one homescreen. 5x5 Iconoclasm looks much better than stock and I can keep the same icon layout portrait/landscape.
And then we have activator, Fakeclockup, and so on...

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
forget all that homescreen garbage and themes. I jailbreak my phone mainly for gestures.

Swipe down from status bar acts as a home button (I have a faulty home button)
swipe left brings up the multitasking trey
Swipe right for sb settings (quick access to specific settings toggles such as 3g, wifi, rotate lock etc)
double tap to remove all apps from background and set up specific app exceptions to not be removed from background.

Then I have 5 icons in the dock, Better folders with folderenhancer, browser changer (set icab as default browser), disabled the lock screen. Also used ifile to edit some line of code that made the iphone 4 have laggy animations.

I was in your shoes before, cydia doesn't help because its a mess and looks crap. But after looking up youtube for top jailbreak tweaks etc i gave it another go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.